PCOS AND METFORMIN

Options
Hi Ladies

I have just started taking metformin slow release to control my PCOS

I have just upped my dose to 2 tablets of 500g a day (should be on 4 a day eventually) but they are making me so nauseaus and sick...the thought of food is making me sick but the metalic taste in my mouth is forcin me to put things in my mouth to get that taste our of my mouth

i feel really tired and havent done much but sleep and laze in bed...i just cant force myseld to get up...

Its so tough on the tummy too...been in and out of loo

Is anyone else suffering like this and how long was it before the symptoms pass...did it actually help your cause or is it another pointless stress to add into my life...

please advise ladies...can really do with some support right now...

hugs x

Replies

• katieandlilly
    katieandlilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It has been so long since I was on Metformin. I took it for PCOS starting 2009 I think. I remembe the cloudy head never really went away. If you only eat lean protein, whole grains, and lots of veggies the stomach trouble will cease. But every time you cheat and eat anything fatty you'll have loose stools (yuck!).

I would call your doctor and tell them the side effects you are experiencing; perhaps with a lower dose and diet you can still improve your levels.

In my case, my diet and exercise (5 hours a week, heavy intensity) "cured" my insulin resistance. I no longer need metformin and, as long as i continue to eat right and exercise, no longer have symptoms of PCOS.

Good luck!
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    I was on this med for my diabetes type 2 for 3 years...it took about a month to get past the side effects, but it helps you lose weight too.....hang in there and carry lots of sugar-free mint gum with you!
  • Boxer_Chick
    Options
    I have this and had to give up on the metformin and just work it out with diet and exercise alone. They told me two weeks but I was still sick on them almost two years later. That is the bad news. The good news is with patience diet and exercise have worked for me. I hope it all works out for you no matter what you choose to do. :happy:
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having these side effects. I took metformin back in 09 for a couple of months before I got pregnant. I don't really remember any side effects. Hopefully they won't last long and you will start feeling better.
  • sisa2324
    sisa2324 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Took a few weeks for me to get over the symptoms. But the majority of my problems were food aversions (couldn't look at certain foods that I normally loved, like avocados) which took much longer to go away. Good news was that I became pregnant (and lost a little weight) after a few months and went off metformin at the end of my first trimester.
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The side effects never went away for me. I tried changing my diet and cutting out fat back then and the side effects persisted. I lost weight while on it, but as soon as I went off, the weight came back plus some. I said screw it and now refuse to take it. I take cinnamon supplements with chromium now, at the advise of my doctor, to help control my blood sugar and I've had a lot of success with it. I take 1,000mg 2x a day (2,000mg total). It's a lot cheaper ($5 a month) and there are no side effects. Ask your doctor about it.
  • scatterbunny
    Options
    I took Metformin (not extended release) for a little less than a month about 8 years ago. I never could get past the side effects, even with diet changes I was in and out of the bathroom all day, and had non-stop stomach cramps. I ignored my PCOS for the past few years, sticking my head in the sand as the symptoms got worse. I'm finally tired of it, though, and attempting to lose weight in an effort to control the symptoms without drugs. We'll see how it goes. I can't commit to super-low carb, so I'm trying to do 25-30% carbs, 25-30% protein, and 45-55% fat. I'm hoping that's low-carb *enough* to make a difference.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I have/had PCOS. I was on Metformin at one point. I gave up on all of that and tried Atkins diet out on a whim. My blood sugar issues corrected themselves and I actually got (and stayed) pregnant with my daughter who is now 3. I did jump off of my diet because I thought that there was no possible way it was good for a baby to be nourished that way (while in utero or during breastfeeding). So, my blood sugar issues came roaring back. (And I was on bedrest from 14 weeks on...medications to stop contractions from 16 weeks on.) I spent time on the cusp of gestational diabetes and then developed it in the last month of pregnancy. I had never been so sick in my entire life. That lasted for the entire pregnancy + 2 years.

At the advice of my rheumatologist, I tried a diet consisting of only lean meat, raw nuts, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. My life completely changed. Since then, I've gone totally Paleo. I went from eating the recommended whole grain diet and having atypical PCOS, endometriosis, fibromyalgia, IBS, asthma (onset at 30 years old), significant iron deficiency anemia, insulin resistance and blood sugar issues that were monitored 4 times daily, seasonal allergies that never went out of season, severe frequent migraines, etc....to not. Since October 2010, I've eaten this way and cured all of those problems. The PCOS was the most deeply entrenched---and took the longest to correct, but I have had clear scans and great TOMs since May.

I recommend the Paleo way of life to everyone that I meet that has PCOS and blood sugar issues. I really can't say enough good things about it. Yes, I lost weight, but more importantly---I gained my life back. I feel better than I can ever remember feeling in my entire life and my blood work and scans continue to blow my doctors away. If you would like to know more about a Primal diet or Paleo diet, check out marksdailyapple.com. You can read other women's PCOS success stories there as well.

My macro numbers are 50 to 55% good fat, 25 to 35% protein, the remainder in good clean green carbs.

Good luck on your journey.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    *whoops!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I have been on time-release Metformin - 2000mg/day - for over a year and a half. I worked up to that dose over a couple months, by 500mg increments. The time-release form is definitely gentler on your stomach than regular Metformin, but if this is your first time taking Met (in any form) it will take time for your body to get adjusted to it. Everyone is different. Some people cannot handle it at all. For instance,I have a friend who has PCOS who cannot tolerate Met at all; she experienced lactic acidosis.

You should probably start at 500mg and work up from there. It takes a while to get used to the side effects - and as was already mentioned, it really does matter how you eat while on it.

While I never thought a pill was the cure-all answer (and still don't), deciding to take Met was definitely one of the best weapons in my arsenal against being overweight. Unfortunately, a strict diet and daily exercise alone would not budge the scale for me whatsoever. So my endocrinologist, GP, and nutritionist both recommended Metformin. It now makes my hard work *count*. I was able to lose over 30 lbs. keeping up with my healthy eating and exercise routine. However, it still took me a year. Met isn't a weight loss drug and shouldn't be used as such, but it certainly "levels the playing field" making it a bit easier to lose weight for those of us with insulin resistance.

Also, keep your doctor informed of all your symptoms... good to keep him in the loop, to avoid any serious complications.
  • llkeefe
    llkeefe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have kidney disease and insulin resistance. My endocrinologist put me on metformin years ago and it has helped me lose weight. I was also told that it works as a fertility drug, with lead to 2 children. I recently started taking it again, and have had some side effects. They have passed and my weight is starting to go down. I take 500 mg three times a day. It is time released.

I hope that you feel better soon!
  • GrammyM
    GrammyM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have used Byetta and am currently on Victoza to replace metformin. I could never tolerate even metformin ER well enough to get the dose up to the 2000mg per day that my doc deemed an effective level. I never had any tolerability issues with the Byetta and so far none with the Victoza. Both are injectables, but Victoza is just once a day. Byetta is supposed to be coming out with once weekly soon. Both control appetite along with glucose levels and show weight loss for many patients in the prescribing information.

I could never lose weight on the metformin because my glucose was not controlled. Now I am finally seeing the weight come off.

Metformin costs you pennies, so get ready for major copay shock if you go for Byetta or Victoza. To me it's worth it to feel good and be able to finally attack the belly fat that is a symptom of insulin resistance. Both of my parents are diabetic and on insulin, but if I can lose the abdominal fat I'm hoping that I will avoid that fate.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started taking Metformin for my insulin resistance a little over two weeks ago (I have PCOS too but am taking the Metformin for the IR).
    I am also at 500mg twice a day, though I don't think my doctor is planning to up my dose (at least she hasn't said so).

I was a little nauseous during meals and had less appetite for about two days but since then, haven't had any issues with the Metformin. My doctor told me, though, that these side effects can last for two weeks. They should go away on their own.

Have you been taking the Metformin after meals? That is supposed to make it better on the stomach (like most meds that are hard on the stomach).
  • reenakainth
    Options
    I am taking met formin after meals and controlling what i eat but i have to say i am only on 500g ER twice a day but should be on 4 eventually once i can work myself up to it...but the symptoms are just oo mcuh and i relly am siffering...

i will be seeing my consultant on 30th of this month but she has already told me this is how i would feel but i have to make met my freind to see results...im not sure im insulin resistant but i have hormonal issues in relation to PCOS and i desp want children...but this sick feeling is getting to much and making me want to re think it all...

its like being pregnant...the big belly and the sickness but without the joy at the end at the moment...so sad but i cant cope no more

im doing everything i can but its just not getting any better
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I was on it years ago. I remember the nausea and tiredness in the beginning. It does eventually get better but you really have to watch the foods. The high fat foods may cause you to have diarrhea.
    I was on 2000mg a day. Stopped taking it because it didn't help me in any way sign or symptom wise.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    BEST. PILL. EVER. I had PCOS and although it made me sick and lethargic it also cleared up much of my acne, facial hair, irregular periods, mood problems, and helped me lose nearly 100 pounds at the time! Force yourself to get moving.. and seriously learn to love what you're on. That was the best thing that ever happened to me. What's neat is after I lost the weight I didn't have PCOS anymore and now I have two beautiful baby boys.
  • TiffyCooper
    Options
    I took metformin for 2 months after being diagnosed with PCOS, and I hated it. I felt loopy, didn't have energy, sick to my stomach, etc. Definitely talk to your doctor about all the side effects, and double check with them on WHY you are on the metformin? Is it simply for the hormonal imbalance, or are you insulin resistant? Normally the only time a PCOSer is put on metformin is because of IR, and if that is the case, ask if you can have your insulin levels tested now. If they are balanced pretty well with the current dosage (being so low) then ask if you can experiment for a month with cinnamon pills.

The metformin simply allows your body to absorb the insulin that you are currently producing. Cinnamon is a natural way to kick start your body to do the same. The only side effect I have with cinnamon are interesting burps. :laugh: Just make sure that if your doctor is okay with testing this idea out that you still eat healthy. As little carbs as you can, and protein (the healthy kind) with EVERY meal if you are insulin resistant. Hopefully that will help. If not, check about the slow release metformin. I have not tried that kind, but based on what I have heard numerous times from other ladies, it really helps with the sickness.

Hang in there! I know it stinks, but we are all here to help. :flowerforyou:
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and take Metformin, currently 500mg slow release as I've been cutting down. I used to take the non slow release version and I had all the symptoms you're experiencing. I could never take it regularly because it made me too ill. Switching to slow release was the best thing I've ever done. I noticed a difference in the amount of sweets I was craving immediately. After a month or two, I noticed that if I forgot to take it at night, the next day I would be ravenous for high sugar, high fat foods. No wonder I found it so difficult to diet before! It was such a relief to know it wasn't just me being greedy and lazy!

Since then I've lost 75lb. It's definitely worth persisting, ask your doctor for the slow release tablets.

Good luck :)
  • reenakainth
    Options
    Thnaks guys...

i am on the slow release...my gp said just come off and start again in a few days...but my consultant said that i shud take them no matter what...

i have been suffering as my blood sugars have been dropping seriously... i was never tested for insulin resistance...i was just put on them for the hormonal inbalances....

argh so frustrating...im still in bed...feel so weak and dull....nothing tastes or feels good...just feel like a waking dead woman..
  • reenakainth
    Options
    BEST. PILL. EVER. I had PCOS and although it made me sick and lethargic it also cleared up much of my acne, facial hair, irregular periods, mood problems, and helped me lose nearly 100 pounds at the time! Force yourself to get moving.. and seriously learn to love what you're on. That was the best thing that ever happened to me. What's neat is after I lost the weight I didn't have PCOS anymore and now I have two beautiful baby boys.

i chucked in th towel today and havent tken the pill i just cant do it no more...feels like im poisoning my body...im not even insulin resistant..y dr told me to come off it and re start it onc ei feel better but i just cant function...there has to be another way...im not overweight...am healthy...i just hope they dont force me to try this again...i just want a baby !!!