hypothyroidism

Options
so i was curious for everyone out there that has a under active thyroid do you know if it can cause loss of appeitite?

Replies

• Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and it definetly doesn't have that affect on me. > unfortunately.... lol!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have never had that problem, so I am not sure, sorry!
    I have been off my meds now for a few months (changed jobs and no benefits plan yet) I am planning to test my levels to see if I even need to go back on it.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Before I started medication and when I felt my absolute worst I didn't want to eat at all. I was eating less than my 2 year old and still gaining weight. So I guess for some people yeah it can.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hm, I am not sure...but that never happened to me, ha
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have hypothryriodism...and take levothyroxin for it....and no did not change at all...and i gained like 20 lbs. before i was diagnosed...BAD DAY:( Doing great now though!! It is possible to lose weight with a bum thryroid:)
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I've had it for quite a few years and have no issues with lack of appetite. :flowerforyou:
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Hi,
    I do have Hypothyroidism and as far as I know, unless you are on too much medicine
    it should not cause loss of appetite. re you sure that you're not Hyperthyroidism..cuz that
    for sure will cause loss of appetite!

I hope you figure this all out, it can be a process and until your thyroid is right, weightloss or gain
    is almost impossible. I hope this has helped you in some way..take care!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    so i was curious for everyone out there that has a under active thyroid do you know if it can cause loss of appeitite?

Not normally. I would look for other causes.
  • SheriffJen
    SheriffJen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, everyone can have different effects from low/high thyroid. Just watch it over a period of time and track how you feel with it. The thyroid is such a little thing but can cause so many issues. even when you don't have one anymore!
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options

yup, it did happen to me. Before I got to know I have this, I was eating lesser than my 11 year old brother who has normal appetite. I gained more weight than him. Now I'm on meds but sometimes I do face difficulty in eating my daily basic calorie intake.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I've only recently been diagnosed, and have not even had a full week on Levothyroxin. I know I had a loss of appetite in the first few days after diagnoses, but it appears to be back now. I think it might be just somewhat psychological - kinda like being depressed due to the diagnosis.

Prior to diagnosis, like everyone else, I was eating right, exercising loads and still gained about 10 pounds in a month. I've lost 5 of those in the last week. Am nearly back to where I was a few months ago, before this thing started getting bad.
  • katslosingit
    katslosingit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have it but my husband was just diagnosed with it. I would say for him he had loss of appetite but I think that was because of the fatigue that accompanies low thyroid and a bit of depression due to not knowing what was wrong with him.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've had hypothyroidism for 12 years, and lack of apetite was never a symptom for me, especially at the time I wasn't yet medicated.
  • SuziMM
    SuziMM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed, but I never had trouble with a lack of appetite. :blushing: That said, I have noticed that my appetite is actually a bit better since starting medication (I take Synthroid) but I'm not having as much trouble maintaining my weight.
  • misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i go through periods with a lack of appetite. when i started mfp and loggin my food i realized i was eating under 1000 calories a day. it took a few weeks for me to be able to eat my full days worth without feeling like i was so full i was gonna throw up.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I don't have loss of appetite but I have loss of hair? You're eating too little eat more. The effects of our thyroid problem are that you can keep going like an energizer battery day and night then you crash and get tired and fall asleep and then you could be fine and then you go through the same cycle again but if you take your medicine and keep to a schedule you should be fine. good luck.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    come to think of it yes it does effect your appetite I was just unaware of it because since I started having health problems one of the best things I did for myself was establish a regular routine like eat at regular intervals around the same time everyday and go to sleep at the same time and sometimes I'm not hungry so I just eat light and now I have it under control I know because I can think straight and I'm not forgetting all the time. Good Luck
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I don't have loss of appetite but I have loss of hair? You're eating too little eat more. The effects of our thyroid problem are that you can keep going like an energizer battery day and night then you crash and get tired and fall asleep and then you could be fine and then you go through the same cycle again but if you take your medicine and keep to a schedule you should be fine. good luck.

Wow, I wish I had energy like that. For me hypothyroid means NO energy!