Gain Weight

Options
Hey,

I have been at this for almost two weeks and it was working great. My first week I lost nine pounds. While I know i'm not going to come even close to losing nine pounds every week. This week I slowed down. Then I woke up this morning and I gained a pound! Even though I have been doing some exercising and have been a good 400 calories under my goal every day! Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• JeremySettles13
    JeremySettles13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have been at this for almost two weeks and it was working great. My first week I lost nine pounds. While I know i'm not going to come even close to losing nine pounds every week. This week I slowed down. Then I woke up this morning and I gained a pound! Even though I have been doing some exercising and have been a good 400 calories under my goal every day! Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    It's happening to me this week. I lost 2 pounds last week and have gained 2 pounds this week even though I am following my calories closely and exercising every day. Just keep at it. If it happens a few weeks in a row, change things up a bit whether it be the times you eat, the exercises you do, or the types of food you eat. It takes some time to figure out what will work with your body. Don't give up!!
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Check out some of these posts to see if they answer your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • tkarratti
    Options
    I was reading that when you make a sudden change to your eating habits your body goes into "Survivor" mode and starts storing food you are eating... no matter how little...its just a metabolism adjustment that your body is making because you made changes!

No worries...keep on doing your program and your metabolism will come around! :bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1) you should NEVER be 400cals under your goal. You should reach your goal (and eat your exercise calories) everyday.
    2) you shouldn't weigh daily because your weight flucuates hourly. choose a day and time and weigh yourself then every week.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I hate to bum you out, but most of that nine pounds was probably water weight. I don't know how much you have to lose, but the more you have to lose the quicker you will shed pounds, but for most of us it would be very hard to lose 9 pounds of actual fat.

If you only have moderate weight to lose, you should be seeing about 1-2 pounds a week. There are some crazy weeks, like this one that I dropped 3 but that's definitely not the norm.

I know it can happen on occasion, but you should come as close as possible to your goal calorie intake each day. Consistently eating 400 less than your goal can halt your weightloss or even make you gain because your body is in starvation mode. It sounds like you just started, I would give it a few more weeks and you should see a leveling out of your progress, and remember to eat your exercise calories!
  • JeremySettles13
    Options
    I play a lot of basketball so sometimes my exercise calories can be 1000 or more? Should I really eat all that more?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I play a lot of basketball so sometimes my exercise calories can be 1000 or more? Should I really eat all that more?

yep, you should. It's not a HUGE deal if you're a hundred or so cals short, but get as close as you can. Aim to lose a lb or so each week, it works, it's healthy, and it is much more likely to stay off. :drinker:
  • JeremySettles13
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!