When do you start to feel 'normal'

Options
Ok, so I've officially lost 36.2 kgs (79.6 lbs). Unofficially it's more like 40kg (88lbs).

I've dropped 4 jean sizes, 3/4 sizes in shirts.

I can cycle 20 miles (cross country, mud, hills, rough terrain) in an hour no problems, swim for over an hour without stopping easy peasy.

My attitude to food is completely changed (apart from the occasionly 'treat') - I eat to live not live to eat.

I know i've still got a way to go, probably another 15-25lbs plus some toning.

I know that I'm the same person (personality wise) as when I started but when will I stop feeling fat, stop being conscious of my appearance/size, when will my mind adjust to thinking like a "normal weight" person?

Or are these thoughts that everyone has regardless of their weight?

When did it 'click' for you?

nik

Replies

• Mortazor
    Mortazor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know but I'm interested in this answer.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For me it changed when I forced myself to recognize how far I have come. People have been telling me I look great but the normal reaction is "yeah right, I need to work on this or that". Once I started to reply with just a simple "thank you" and to take note of the accomplishments I have made, even if small, my self image started to get better day by day. That is going to take time too. :-)
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't know. But your accomplishments are amazing. I hope I'm in the same boat asking the same question soon. Hopefully, by then you'll feel "normal" and have all the answers. Once again, well done. Well done. :)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I think most people have some issues with their weight and bodies.

When I was much thinner, I was upset I was so thin and wanted a curvier body.

When I gained a a bit of weight, was a healthy weight, but my thighs started to rub together when I ran, I hated it.

When I lost weight from the highest weight, but still not at the thin weight, I still noticed parts of my body that I wish I were different.

I just had to come to being at peace with myself regardless.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.

nik
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's called body dysmorphia. It takes a long time. Especially if you've been overweight for a while, because you have to adjust to the fact that you're different. Like if you've always had long hair and you shave it off.. takes a bit to get used to.
    There's little things a long the way that help me to see how small I am. Clothing numbers, walking between things that are tight and I fit, thinking how good I feel like my friends look, then realizing I'm a smaller size than they are, attention from the opposite gender becoming more obvious, realizing most people bench more than I weigh, hearing people refer to me as small when they don't know I've lost weight... random stuff.
    Honestly, as vain as it sounds, I spend a ton of time in front of the mirror. I'm still in disbelief that that's me, but it comes slowly.