Runner's Trots

Options
So I know there have been lots of topics posted about this, I did a quick search. I just like to talk about poop. So, I'm training for a half marathon and on my last two runs I've gotten the worst urge to go about 6.5-7 miles in. Barely made it home last time and had to stop at the park's porta-potties this time, twice (yuck!) I'd really like to figure out if this is dietary and if there are any pharmacological remedies (I'm a pharmacist in training). The first time I blamed it on the ridiculously greasy breakfast I had that day. This time I'm less sure, I feel like I ate pretty well yesterday and today (minus the cupcake). Does anyone take Immodium before they go out on their long runs? What foods should I stay away from the day before and day of long runs?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i have the same issueee. my bowels go around 9 miles hahaha. scarey stufff. I hear people poop themselves during marathons :P !
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of possible answers and most people will probably give a viable answer. You just need to find which one works best for you.

Some things that come to mind:
    ~your dinner last night(grease or heavy foods)
    ~your breakfast or foods you've eaten beforehand (grease, heavy foods, and for me... dairy)
    ~the foods or lack thereof during
    ~electrolyte imbalance
    ~hydration issues
    ~Did you go to the bathroom before? It's usually a good idea.

Dairy kills me before a run. I only eat my dairy after I run for the day or I feel yuck.
  • Lollyvoddy
    Lollyvoddy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually run on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning and have no problem. The one time I got caught out was when I tried eating a protein bar a couple of hours prior to my long run. Never again. Be interested to see any feedback on this.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    i have the same issueee. my bowels go around 9 miles hahaha. scarey stufff. I hear people poop themselves during marathons :P !

In some very rare instances people do. And it's when they're having stomach issues and refuse to go to most of the very available port-a-potties that are usually available along marathon courses.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The trots are my nemisis!!! Yes, there are foods you should avoid the day before. Less protein, less fiber, more carbs. I've heard to avoid large amounts of dairy products as well.

I have to get up at least an hour before a long run so I'll have time to go poop. And in the summer that means 4:30-5:00 am. Sometiimes I'll go two or three time before my long run and not even a mile into my run, I'll have to make a pit stop. I always - ALWAYS - bring tissue with me as I have to go almost without fail on a long run. Lucky for me I live in a rural area and can duck into a ditch or behind a tree without beings seen, but it's still so frustrating.

I usually don't take immodium for my training runs, but if I haven't sufficiently emptied before a race, I will take one at least 30 mins before the race. Some people have less of a problem with this, but it is the single thing that causes angst for me.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think it just depends on the person. I have one friend who has to take Immodium to get through long runs and another that takes it if she's running more than 3 miles. For me it's more what I've eaten and how recently I've gone. I try to eat 45/30/25 (p/c/f) the day before a long run and I avoid coffee for several hours before long runs. I also run with a few tissues crammed into my hydration belt, because you just never know.
    Good luck with your running. And your poop :wink:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

In some very rare instances people do. And it's when they're having stomach issues are refuse to go to most of the very available port-a-potties that are usually available along marathon courses.

lol wow. =D
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    I hate my typos. They are my nemesis.
  • HolleeERL
    Options
    I hate my typos. They are my nemesis.

I think that was MY typo!! LOL
  • turnerjh
    turnerjh Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been running for a few years and have run 3 half-marathons and many shorter races and this is my biggest fear is being out and needing to go with no place to go! I will usually take Immodium prior to races and usually will go 5-6 times prior to a race due to nerves. For my long runs, I will usually run in the morning prior to breakfast and eat just spoonful of peanut butter prior to running and drink a glass of water. If I have a race in the morning, I will eat a peice of toast with peanut butter a couple of hours prior to the race. I think sometimes for me it is more psychological than anything. I'm anxious I am going to need to poop so my anxiety makes me need to poop...vicious cycle. It does make me feel somewhat more normal that others have this fear/issue as well :smile:
  • HolleeERL
    Options
    A good read partially on this topic:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/ultramarathon
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

That was so incredibly awesome!
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options

In some very rare instances people do. And it's when they're having stomach issues and refuse to go to most of the very available port-a-potties that are usually available along marathon courses.

Not so rare actually...go talk to some marathon runners everyone well have at least one story to tell.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options

Not so rare actually...go talk to some marathon runners everyone well have at least one story to tell.

I am a marathon runner. I've done 7 and 3 ultras. I am a paceleader and I have helped train people since 2007. My runners might have tummy issues, but we use the port-a-potties available to us. None of the hundreds of runners in my running group over 7 years, have visibly pooped themselves. There is no need for any runner doing what we do, to have a poop story.

My husband's ex thinks that we all poop ourselves as well. Whenever I bring that idea up to the runners in my group(after awhile we run out of stuff to talk about week after week), all of us guffaw and laugh at the silliness.

Ultras and some trail runs are a different animal.
  • adhillman01
    Options

That was hilarious! You made my day.