Weigh Yourself EVERYDAY??

Options
I got this dieting book that said to "Weigh yourself everyday so you know when you'r starting to gain flab".

I tired and it seems a bit discouraging, I am so hopeful that the number will go 246, when it pops up as 247 again, the same as yesterday and as the day before. What are your thoughts?? Should I keep with this or skip some days or just concentrate on inches around the tummy?

Replies

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day lol so I'm not much help.
    I only record once a week though
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    I weigh once a week. If you get hooked on the numbers you get discouraged and that's not what you want to do. Try weighing only once a week and if the numbers don't change take your measurements. I do measurements once a month. This is a lifestyle change and will take time with many ups and downs. Take it one day at a time. You are in the best place to be with MFP! Hang in there it will happen.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you that weighing yourself every day will be more frustrating than, say, once a week. It is better to focus on the trend over time than it is the daily changes (or lack thereof). Since your weight can fluctuate by even a few pounds within a day, or from day to day, it can definitely be frustrating to watch. If you do weigh daily, be prepared for that. Just realize that even when you do everything "right," the numbers may not do what you want the next day. Tracking measurements is usually more encouraging/rewarding, but even then, doing so every week or two will be less frustrating.

That being said, I weigh daily. But I also don't stress about the ups and downs. Weight loss is a complex thing, and it does not always happen at a constant rate. But if you're doing the right things, you should see a downward trend over time.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week or be discouraged.. It's up to you :) I personally have to stay clear of my scale but that was something I had to learn after a few screaming outrages and throwing the dam thing away! Your weight fluctuates every day! Not a good idea!
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i check it most days, and i only take one day out of the week to use it as an official number. i just like knowing where im at, whether(sp) i ate a lot, ate little, drank too much, drank to little. didnt exercise so on and so on. helps you also to catch the weight gain faster than if you would when weighing less often. just my take on it. just doesnt work when you get all ocd with it, then you got a problem there.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    First of all, that's a terrible way to phrase it. If your weight fluctuates by a little bit from one day to the next, that doesn't mean you're "gaining flab."

Second of all, I weigh myself every day to understand how my body responds on a short term scale to my daily activities. For example, if I have a high sodium day, the next morning I will have some extra water weight. It's important to not let it discourage you, it's just a number. As like any number, it's used to inform, it can't hurt you.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I think different things work for different people. Personally, I weigh every day just to make sure I'm not gaining and if I do, obviously I work harder that day. However, I don't log it until my official weigh-in day.
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I think I let the numbers get to me so much that I was making my stomach hurt. :)
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everyday, but I've switched to whenever I happen to remember. I was becoming a little too discouraged by how frequently the numbers fluctuate. I found a slight increase or decrease in weight was having far too large of an impact on my daily emotions. I've ditched the scale, gone based on how I feel and it has worked much better for me :).
  • beautifulhotmess26
    Options
    I wouldn't weigh every day. You can weigh a pound more from water weight alone or even because you're weighing at a different time in the day then the time before. Personally I'm weighing myself once a week around the same time of the day. I found that weighing myself every day in the past was discouraging.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is associated with effective weight loss however you need to realize that most people have fluctuation in weight throughout the week. Some people can't take this and weigh themselves once a week. What I can't understand about this is what if they hit a fluctuation on the one day a week that they weigh. That seems harder to handle to me if you think you have gained for the whole week when you just are in a daily fluctuation. There are many reasons why your weight will go up temporarily and usually only a couple for it to go down being you lost water or regular weight. To me I would rather see how my weight is fluctuating throughout the week and see how it works. That way if it keeps going up I know that I am gaining and can quickly adjust. However if it is just up one day and doesn't keep going up it has to do with something else like water weight, having alot of protein the night before, high salt intake etc etc. I know that after losing I tend to go up a bit the next day. I will hover a while then go close to the lowest weight and then soon I am down again. I do not go and change my weight when it goes up abit. I record it when it goes down. If it goes up and stays up or continues up for more than a few days then I really watch my weight in case I am gaining. I don't freak out about these fluctuations. I now know my body and how it works better since I have taken note of its patterns. You shouldn't weigh yourself more than once a day and always at the same time. Before breakfast makes the most sense for me. If you can't hack knowing how your body's weight fluctuates then weigh weekly at the same time of day on the same day of the week. You may know by now when you are most likely to be up or down. I usually don't lose on a Friday but did this week. I often lose on a Monday or Tuesday.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every day and truthfully, it can get pretty discouraging. I have only lost about 12 lbs in 4 months, but the other day I decided to do my measurements and body fat again. Even though I'd only lost 12 lbs, I had lost 13 inches and 6.6% off of my body fat. Needless to say...rely on measurements more than that number on the scale!! I'll probably always weigh every day, but I'm going to keep telling others not to because it's a stupid habit, haha.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely measure yourself regularly. Inches are important. Often you will lose inches when you are not losing weight. I measure once a week or at least once a month.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday for kicks. I weigh myself one in the morning and once in the evening. I realize that it's going to fluctuate so I don't get all upset when I see some gain during the day.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I weigh everyday and the up and down numbers no longer bother me. My weight stays the same, stays the same, goes down, then goes back up, then further up, then down again, then down again, then new all time low. I record the new all time low. And regardless of what happens after that, I walk around thinking about how wonderful that all time low was.

The above is true, so long as I know that I'm within my calorie goal, and otherwise on track.

I guess I find it informative of how the weight loss process works. I don't get discouraged. I would get discouraged if I could not stay within my calorie goal and then I saw the scale go up, because then I would know that it was real weight gain.

The only thing is that it is like watching a pot boil, because weight loss feels so slow that way. BUT, I do my MFP reports and on average, I'm ahead of schedule in terms of my goals, so the system is working!
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week at the same time every week.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I weigh myself at least once a day, but that's not why. I'm just curious to see what my body's up to. Even after two months of being the same weight, I weigh myself just to see how my body reacts to different foods and nutrients.

If you can't weigh yourself often without getting discouraged, don't do it.
  • IvyDroid
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week and also record the measurements of my arms, neck, waist and hips. If you are dieting and exercising you may not notice a change in weight on the scales but you might start noticing a difference with your waist line.

Your body will fluctuate depending on water levels and other various factors, also, it takes a long time to put all that weight on, so don't expect it to all come off within just a few weeks. These things take time, so keep positive and remember to measure that waist and know that your body will be better for it in the long run :)
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week (Friday morning) and that's it. The belt i wear fits at the last hole. As long as it gets smaller over the months i'm doing right. I will not buy a bigger belt EVER. I'm large framed so i'm not sure i can go much smaller then a 34" waist even if i want to lol..
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates so much that if I weigh myself everyday, I go crazy. Once or twice a week works for me.