what to do when you hate your job and it makes you eat

Options
i hate my job. i've been working here for 18 months, and it is a life sucking, soul shattering thankless siege that pays me a paltry 24,000 a year (before taxes).

i ship travel guides to visitors who want to come visit my area, and i bascially stand in a little room and stuff envelopes all day. it's boring, monotonous, repetitive and completely devoid of interest, creativity and special skills.

i work here because some of my best friends work in other areas of the company and the hours are great. i work 8:30-4:30 monday to friday with stats off.

there is no opportunity for advancement, no opportunity for growth and no opprtunity to learn new things. it sucks.

it sucks so much that the only thing i can do to add some excitement is to eat. bad excuse, i know, but seriously the boredom is sometimes too much to take. i want to poke my eyeballs out, but instead i snack.

any tips for getting thropugh the day without stuffing my face? i can't quit because my job allows me to have free time during the day and at night to do my writing projects...

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i hate my job. i've been working here for 18 months, and it is a life sucking, soul shattering thankless siege that pays me a paltry 24,000 a year (before taxes).

i ship travel guides to visitors who want to come visit my area, and i bascially stand in a little room and stuff envelopes all day. it's boring, monotonous, repetitive and completely devoid of interest, creativity and special skills.

i work here because some of my best friends work in other areas of the company and the hours are great. i work 8:30-4:30 monday to friday with stats off.

there is no opportunity for advancement, no opportunity for growth and no opprtunity to learn new things. it sucks.

it sucks so much that the only thing i can do to add some excitement is to eat. bad excuse, i know, but seriously the boredom is sometimes too much to take. i want to poke my eyeballs out, but instead i snack.

any tips for getting thropugh the day without stuffing my face? i can't quit because my job allows me to have free time during the day and at night to do my writing projects...
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    do you listen to music? dont let the temptations of food come around you, or if possible bring healthy snacks.

if your so unhappy maybe you should start looking into new options, but dont quit maybe find a new hobby or something that makes you happy besides food.

i wish you luck
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Dance while you work! :laugh: Okay I don't think I'd be caught dead dance at work, but hey it would be kinda fun! :happy:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    march on the spot, you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn :flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Do you have an ipod? Or anything portable that plays video? Download podcasts and watch them while you stuff. :bigsmile: Buy chewing gum, the kind you can blow bubbles with, and entertain yourself.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you are off at 4:30 and you job was boring enough so that you're not warned out, then how about trying to do something useful with the afternoon? Learn a new language, get some training with creating web pages, maybe go to some course on tourist guide - you know, something you can write in your CV when you'll be applying for your next job. This will make your day worthwhile and turn the morning more into that time of the day when you're relaxing and preparing for the hard work in the afternoon. You have to find some motivating goal, to take you out of boredom, something you're looking into. Think about what your next job should be and try acquiring the skills for it...
  • Coach2010
    Options
    Great challenge! While you probably have music playing in your area...I can't help but wonder of the process? Do you work strictly with paperwork, or do you have access to a PC to generate your lables and content?

There are exercise bands that you can use periodically...OH SNAP!!! I just found this article.

This is great...I never thought of this...an exercise ball instead of a chair!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3404446/

Hey, I might take this one on!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I used to stuff envelopes and answer phones in the fundraising department at my university when I was a student. Stuffing envelopes is brutal. But, I was lucky enough to work with about 3 other students (including my little brother - our mom worked in the same office). We'd have challenges with each other - in 30 minutes, who can stuff the most? We'd always have ridiculous prizes too. Like, winner gets a homemade sticker - a label with the word "Stuff Master" on it! :laugh:

Hopefully you have buddies at work that you can play with.

And if not, could you ask your boss if you could work in a more lively part of the office? at least then you'd be around other folks and, if you're like me, you'll be less likely to eat all day in front of your friends...