Hair dye mistake! >:/

ace175
ace175 Posts: 518 Member
So during spring, I started dying my dark brown hair a little lighter for summer time, and I had been wanted to do something different to my hair for a while...I went for a reddish color, which showed up sometimes, but it was never how I wanted. (Yes, I used boxed colors---salons are too expensive!) Anyways I decided the other day to dye my hair back to dark brown, and today I did so...and it's black! Like raven black, it doesn't look natural at all! Even though I have really dark eyebrows and eye lashes, it really washes me out! Anyone know what I can do to make it less black like re-dye it or I read about this color-oops product that supposedly takes the color out.

Ohh and school starts Monday and I really didn't want to be dealing with this the day before I start! grrr !Help?! haha

Replies

• Hi there. I'm a former hairstylist. Number 1: color does not lift color. If you try to put another box color on top, it won't do anything. Number 2: You're better off leaving it alone a few days. Doing too much at once will really dry it out and damage it more. 3. At this point, you have corrective color. I would recommend going to a salon for a consultation.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    I would also say that it will fade within a couple weeks to a brown color and your red might even show through. I hate red box dye because it does this awful copper color to your hair that doesn't mix well with other colors...

I do agree the best thing is to let it restore itself for a few days before going further as you can't ligthen it. It should fade pretty well if anything.
  • If you just dyed it, it will fade. Especially since the color underneath is lighter. Trust me I did the same exact thing, and it ended up fading A LOT.
  • Go sit in the sun for a day. This will help the color oxidize and lighten up a little. However, if you're impatient, a visit to a professional is the way to go.
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Thanks guys! When I first tried red, it was subtle, but not the change I wanted it, so I tried another color called "copper penny" and it looked horrible! And the sun just made it even worse.

I know it'll fade, I was just freaking out because it's nothing what the box looked like! On the side of the box when it showed the before using this color and after using this color, they did a before as black and the after using the color it was brown not black so it was very confusing!

I read that if you use dandruff shampoo, it could fade hair color so I just took a shower trying that, so I guess I'll see what it looks like in the morning. If not I'll spend the day in the sun or something!

I guess this is what i get for being experimental with my hair! Thanks for your responses!! :smile:
  • Thanks guys! When I first tried red, it was subtle, but not the change I wanted it, so I tried another color called "copper penny" and it looked horrible! And the sun just made it even worse.

I know it'll fade, I was just freaking out because it's nothing what the box looked like! On the side of the box when it showed the before using this color and after using this color, they did a before as black and the after using the color it was brown not black so it was very confusing!

I read that if you use dandruff shampoo, it could fade hair color so I just took a shower trying that, so I guess I'll see what it looks like in the morning. If not I'll spend the day in the sun or something!

I guess this is what i get for being experimental with my hair! Thanks for your responses!! :smile:

I'm the queen of hair experimentation- my hair has been everything from BRIGHT ORANGE to and ugllyyy green color. All by accident too, ahah. So I feel your pain :) but at least it's a normal color!
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Try sunlight dish liquid.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Color oops works well if you use it quickly. Dandruff shampoo will strip color faster.

But the above is right, color will not lift color, so even if you threw a blond color on, it isn't going to do much. Bleach will lift color, but you've got to read about what it can and can't do, and about toners and complimentary colors :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks guys! When I first tried red, it was subtle, but not the change I wanted it, so I tried another color called "copper penny" and it looked horrible! And the sun just made it even worse.

The reason why it doesn't look like you thought it would is because your hair was already colored and lightened. The color on the box is what it looks like on virgin hair. When your hair has been lightened, it starts to have the undertones removed (reds, oranges, yellows). When you go darker on lightened hair, your hair wants to replace those undertones, so it grabs whatever it can from the dye, leaving exposed only what was left-in your case probably something that is on the ashy or blueish side.
  • Be careful, if you try to fade your hair too quickly, it may turn out either bluish or greenish depending on the base tone in the black coloring. Also rather than using dandruff shampoo, use a good moisturizing shampoo, that way if you need to do a color correction down the road you wont have hair falling out. If it is as harsh a contrast as you say it is, play it up with a flower in your hair or use a little bronzer. It will fade soon enough, better to be patient than to be bald.