Starvation mode

Options
For years ive not eaten much... and was always really thin.. then i had a baby... im trying to loose the weight but cant force myself to eat any more than i already am... Today im only at about half the amount i should be and thats not including the excercise im doing....

will i just go into starvation mode and not loose anything? What can i do without physically forcing food down me.

Replies

• kinkaos
    Options
    For years ive not eaten much... and was always really thin.. then i had a baby... im trying to loose the weight but cant force myself to eat any more than i already am... Today im only at about half the amount i should be and thats not including the excercise im doing....

will i just go into starvation mode and not loose anything? What can i do without physically forcing food down me.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    eat higher calorie foods. eat small amounts more frequently throughout the day.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Try a smoothie but instead of most of us who your low sugar fruits like strawberries and low sugar fluids like diet 7-Up or water...try adding a banana, orange juice and definately protein powder...

When I make mine it's about 150 calories.

With all the "normal" smoothie mixings, it whould be about 300-500 calories. You can definately get enough calories, without eating a lot this way.
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Try to make sure the foods you do eat contain a lot of protien and are nutrient dense. Things like raw almonds, fruits, etc are good. Also, if you just want to get more healthy calories without feeling full, drink a glass or two of 100% fruit juice. This will help with the nutrition, give you sugar calories that your brain needs to function properly, and not fill you up too much.

And, Kerri is right. More snacks throughout the day will help. I carry around a baggie of some type of raw nuts and eat a small handful every couple of hours.

Good luck!
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    Don't stress darling, just do your best just stay healthy go and see like a nutritionist if youre really worried, but you said that you have not eaten much for years, so its not like you have just developed a lacked appetite, which could indicate illness. Just have a party or something its easier than worrying. I reccommend LadyGaGa you could deffinatly have a party to that.

And to answer your question I doubt your body will go into starvation mode, it doesn't mean you won't lose anything it just means losing something will be alot slower and your metabolism won't be very nice, and your body will be eating its insides. organs tissues blah blah you know the important stuff once the first and second energy stores have been used up which is Glucose and Fat. Glucose can be used up relatively quick anyway, within a fewhours or less.

Rather than starvation mode your just not be meeting your RDA but then again you may be one of the 2.74% of people that need hardly anything of certain nutrients and that. So your probably just be malnutritioned. Thats assumig your diet isn't varied but thats an assumption. It depends what you class as starvation mode as because people have different opinions of the matter. I believe it to me Kwashiorkor, or the M-one. Or someone who has an eatingdisorder- Anorexia. where muscle waisting is present

Well if you read that your very patient. But the best bit of advice I can give you is to have a party I mean like if you really want you could have a few shots im sure thats going to boost your calorie intake, but I wouldn't condone that if you have your child present. But if your having a 1 person party its different matter.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Don't stress darling, just do your best just stay healthy go and see like a nutritionist if youre really worried, but you said that you have not eaten much for years, so its not like you have just developed a lacked appetite, which could indicate illness. Just have a party or something its easier than worrying. I reccommend LadyGaGa you could deffinatly have a party to that.

And to answer your question I doubt your body will go into starvation mode, it doesn't mean you won't lose anything it just means losing something will be alot slower and your metabolism won't be very nice, and your body will be eating its insides. organs tissues blah blah you know the important stuff once the first and second energy stores have been used up which is Glucose and Fat. Glucose can be used up relatively quick anyway, within a fewhours or less.

Rather than starvation mode your just not be meeting your RDA but then again you may be one of the 2.74% of people that need hardly anything of certain nutrients and that. So your probably just be malnutritioned. Thats assumig your diet isn't varied but thats an assumption. It depends what you class as starvation mode as because people have different opinions of the matter. I believe it to me Kwashiorkor, or the M-one. Or someone who has an eatingdisorder- Anorexia. where muscle waisting is present

Well if you read that your very patient. But the best bit of advice I can give you is to have a party I mean like if you really want you could have a few shots im sure thats going to boost your calorie intake, but I wouldn't condone that if you have your child present. But if your having a 1 person party its different matter.

alcohol isn't a good way to up your calorie intake. :huh:

Smooties are a great idea though, or an old favourite like a pb and j sandwich!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Ooooooooooooooh PB and J. Good idea.

Maybe a grilled cheese sammich?
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    Fruit punch with alcohol if you're going to follow my advice, with cherries, or any fruit in general. Or something fruit flavoured. Kerrilucko is right it isn't a good way to up your intake. But its good while it lasts. And fruit punch is probably better than straight vodka, nutritionally I mean.

Or if not Ice cream soup, that will up your intake quickly. or yogurt and granola thats got quite a few calories in.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree that alcohol is not a wise idea to INCREASE your calorie intake (a treat sure or figured in as a need, fine but not to make up for not eating).

Eat more nutrient dense foods. Loaded breads (high fiber, grainy, etc), smoothies (excellent suggestion), nuts, granola, dried fruits, etc. Also, you get a perk of eating REAL foods... like cheese, higher fat milk (just be careful not to get too crazy with that option).

These foods will increase your calories without making it feel like you are eating all the time.

:flowerforyou: