When To Stop or Try Something Else?

I don't think I'm to that point yet - but how do you know when one of your exercise videos is no longer going to benefit you? For instance, my pilates tape - it is MUCH easier than it was 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't call it 'easy' yet of course, but what do I do when it becomes easy? Is it still giving the same benefits? (I cant imagine so) Is switching to something harder the best thing to do?

And how do you know WHEN to switch to something harder? :ohwell:

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    I don't think I'm to that point yet - but how do you know when one of your exercise videos is no longer going to benefit you? For instance, my pilates tape - it is MUCH easier than it was 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't call it 'easy' yet of course, but what do I do when it becomes easy? Is it still giving the same benefits? (I cant imagine so) Is switching to something harder the best thing to do?

And how do you know WHEN to switch to something harder? :ohwell:
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Can you get a more difficult workout to work your way into? Like don't quit the one you have altogether, but maybe alternate days with a more difficult one. They say it's not great to do the same thing all the time anyway...
    I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about, just a suggestion...
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Basically... when you find yourself plateauing... that could mean no more weight is coming off OR that you don't seem to be gaining anymore strength.
    When you hit a pleteau you need to ramp things up again to challenge your body.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    I used to change my gym-weight routine every 6 weeks. It keeps your muscles thinking.

As far as cardio...I never do the same thing each day. I rotate. Playing sports helps, it's something different every time I do cardio.

When I used to belong to a gym or if I pulled doubles in one day I would still change cardio up then too. Treadmill, stairs, bike, elliptical, jump rope, ect. Keep your body thinking and working different muscles.

I would say the same for DVDs. Try not to do the same one's over and over...unless, like I hear about the 30 day Shred...it increases each week or you can add weight. As long as it's changing...it's ok. I might actually try this DVD, but won't be able to do it 30 days in a row.