Shin splints

Options
When I was a sophomore in high school, I started my first year in track and field as a long distance runner and was pushed to the point of barely being able to walk through the shin splints that errupted barely a month into training. I have never since dropped the knawing pressure of them in any of my running stints since, and it's been eight years. Thirty days ago, I started running a mile, then a week and a half later upped the mile by half, then maintined that level of gain (by halves) until now, where I am running 2 1/2 miles. The reason for the S-L-O-W increase? I don't want shin splints again! My body says I can run longer, but I am SO afraid to, because they would sideline me again!

I need advice. Who else is a continuous sufferer of shin splints (on the inside area of both legs) like me, and what in the world can I do to overcome them and keep running?

Replies

• lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A few days ago there was a really great thread about this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    In July I was running on my treadmill, and my dr thought I had shin splints, however it turned out to be much more. I actually have a slipped disc in my back and it affected my left side. (back/leg/foot). If your pain doesn't go away, please go see your doctor. I am now in Physical Therapy to get feeling back into my foot and leg due to nerve damage.

I am gettingi better, but I've been sidlined for over a month now...UGH!