Alli.. has anyone tried it?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    I have lost more weight here, doing it the right way, than on any of the drugs I have tried. I am now a firm believer you don't need them. And it made me feel HORRIBLE.
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I heard it makes you poop. :blushing: (hee hee-- I said poop-- )

LOL that made my day! but she's right. my boyfriends sister in law tried it and she could basically not control herself at all. she was in the bathroom all day. and it is reallllllly expensive. and with any diet stuff once you get off it it doesn't work anymore and you gain all the weight back and then some. i think M.F.P is going to be much better!!!:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think my Omega 3 caps due the same thing!! And they are good for you!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think my Omega 3 caps due the same thing!! And they are good for you!

Omega 3 caps prevent your body from absorbing some of the fat in the food you eat?
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I tried it once. I didn't have any of the side effects because I made sure I watched my fat grams. I lost 7 lbs in a month and gained it all back when I decided that I could not afford to contine taking Alli. It really didn't teach me anything or help me keep it off. I've lost twice the weight in a month following MFP. Save your money, take a walk, eat your calories and enjoy the support here at MFP, You'll do twice as well.

Lynnie

ditto! I didn't regain the weight BUT for the most part she said it better than I could. Oh and those embarassing side effects are for real if you don't watch what you eat, but I never personally experienced any mood changes with Alli. Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    I refuse to try any diet pill; no matter what they say, no pill is healthy, and no pill is going to be the magic pill to make you look better.

Diet is just about eating healthy, smaller portions, and exercise, no matter which way you look at it. AND, you'll feel so much better if you lose it the HEALTHY way, rather than with a pill.
  • jessabugk
    Options
    after much deliberation and reading all of your posts, I'm giving Alli a try. I understand where everyone is coming from. I'm not taking Alli as some magic diet pill I'm taking it as a motivator to keep me on my low-fat diet. without the motivation of "treatment effects" I know for a fact, and from previous experiences, I would not stick to a low fat diet.. and already without effort, I'm cutting my caloric intake just by monitoring my fat consumption. I don't want to experience 'treatment effects".. I'd rather sacrifice food and so far..I've started adapting for the change of my life. for all I know the pills aren't working. they could be placebos.. but the mental barrier it creates for me to avoid "treatment effects" is working just fine..

thank you all for your help and feedback.. :D I'll update with my experiences..

95600.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I refuse to try any diet pill; no matter what they say, no pill is healthy, and no pill is going to be the magic pill to make you look better.

Diet is just about eating healthy, smaller portions, and exercise, no matter which way you look at it. AND, you'll feel so much better if you lose it the HEALTHY way, rather than with a pill.
    I totally agree:drinker: ...but I guess we're all free to make our own choices & deal with the consequences...

..one thing about MFP is it represents a way to get healthier without any outside means other than hard work, excercise, a positive attitude and downin that water.....:drinker: :drinker: :drinker::bigsmile:

It's a lifetime change...not a temporary fix....sides that? It's free, nothin off the shelf or prescriptions to change our lives on MFP:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    after much deliberation and reading all of your posts, I'm giving Alli a try. I understand where everyone is coming from. I'm not taking Alli as some magic diet pill I'm taking it as a motivator to keep me on my low-fat diet. without the motivation of "treatment effects" I know for a fact, and from previous experiences, I would not stick to a low fat diet.. and already without effort, I'm cutting my caloric intake just by monitoring my fat consumption. I don't want to experience 'treatment effects".. I'd rather sacrifice food and so far..I've started adapting for the change of my life. for all I know the pills aren't working. they could be placebos.. but the mental barrier it creates for me to avoid "treatment effects" is working just fine..

95600.png

I would just like you to know that you don't need to follow a low-fat diet to lose fat. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Only excess calories can do that. The human body works very simply-eat too much fat, protein, or carbs, and you gain fat. Eat less than you need, and you'll lose fat.

Fat is essential to the body, and eating too little will actually cause many health problems. Fat is used for vitamin absorption, nerve function (it surrounds the nerves and acts as an insulator), and in cell formation. Every cell in your body has a layer of fat around it to keep good things in and bad things out. It also helps keep your skin and hair moisturized. We have a layer of oil on our skin to prevent too much water from getting into our skin cells. It also helps us feel full longer because it takes a long time to break down.

Too little fat is BAD for the body. Alli doesn't distinguish between good fat or bad fat. It just prevents the natural function of your body to absorb any fat, whether it's unsaturated or a transfat. What if you can't eat the necessary 15% of your calories from fat while on Alli? You are risking your health for a pill that doesn't teach you healthy eating habits. You can eat a whole bag of sugar on Alli, but not a couple peanut butter sandwiches with natural peanut butter on whole grain bread.

There are more reasons not to take Alli than the embarrassing side effects.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

95600.png

I would just like you to know that you don't need to follow a low-fat diet to lose fat. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Only excess calories can do that. The human body works very simply-eat too much fat, protein, or carbs, and you gain fat. Eat less than you need, and you'll lose fat.

Fat is essential to the body, and eating too little will actually cause many health problems. Fat is used for vitamin absorption, nerve function (it surrounds the nerves and acts as an insulator), and in cell formation. Every cell in your body has a layer of fat around it to keep good things in and bad things out. It also helps keep your skin and hair moisturized. We have a layer of oil on our skin to prevent too much water from getting into our skin cells. It also helps us feel full longer because it takes a long time to break down.

Too little fat is BAD for the body. Alli doesn't distinguish between good fat or bad fat. It just prevents the natural function of your body to absorb any fat, whether it's unsaturated or a transfat. What if you can't eat the necessary 15% of your calories from fat while on Alli? You are risking your health for a pill that doesn't teach you healthy eating habits. You can eat a whole bag of sugar on Alli, but not a couple peanut butter sandwiches with natural peanut butter on whole grain bread.

There are more reasons not to take Alli than the embarrassing side effects.
    "Alli doesn't distinguish between good fat or bad fat."

Yes, this is the part that concerns me.... it won't allow any fats like SbW suggests to remain in your body...no omega 3's, none of the good stuff...using it as a behavior modification drug, hm, well I'm not so sure how that works....it teachs you what? To not eat ANY fats...which we must do to keep continued good health!:huh:

You put it wisely and nicely SbW....I'm glad you jumped in....

jessabugk...folks her on MFP genuinly care about other members and that's why we've thrown our two sense/cents in, plus you has ask:wink: ....please be careful... SbW's advice that it's not just the side effects to be concerned about but your whole body's health is of concern using any type of weighloss aids.:noway:
  • Brynn
    Brynn Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Fitness Chick. Alli does not encourage you to not eat any fat- if you didn't eat any fat Alli wouldn't work because there would be no fat for it to try to flush. Alli encourages you to do the opposite (within reason)

I eat naturally low fat and Alli actually encourages me to try to eat more (healthy) fats. I am a carb/sugar junkie but I know that if I eat these things on Alli, the Alli won't work because there is no fat to flush. I eat lean meat and peanut butter because I know that I will get more bang for my buck (i.e. Alli will grab more calories) if I do so.

And as for treatment side effects, I had none after the past couple of days. I actually love Alli- it helps keep me regular! I still follow MFP faithfully (well, aside from the cruise I just went on- I still feel too guilty to even post about that here) by eating healthfully, working out, and making this a lfestyle change. Alli gives me that little boost i.e. if I loose 5 lbs through my own efforts, Alli turns that 5 lbs into 7.5 lbs. And I asked about Alli at my last check up and my doctors gave me the all clear.
  • pelelovesme
    Options
    This was a good topic to discuss. I've been debating whether or not to try it myself. After reading all of your opinions on here, I've confirmed my decision to not try it. I don't want to risk the chance of something embarassing happening... much much easier to just watch calories :P I think slightly slower weight loss is a better than possible "accidents". :blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Fitness Chick. Alli does not encourage you to not eat any fat- if you didn't eat any fat Alli wouldn't work because there would be no fat for it to try to flush. Alli encourages you to do the opposite (within reason)

I eat naturally low fat and Alli actually encourages me to try to eat more (healthy) fats. I am a carb/sugar junkie but I know that if I eat these things on Alli, the Alli won't work because there is no fat to flush. I eat lean meat and peanut butter because I know that I will get more bang for my buck (i.e. Alli will grab more calories) if I do so.

And as for treatment side effects, I had none after the past couple of days. I actually love Alli- it helps keep me regular! I still follow MFP faithfully (well, aside from the cruise I just went on- I still feel too guilty to even post about that here) by eating healthfully, working out, and making this a lfestyle change. Alli gives me that little boost i.e. if I loose 5 lbs through my own efforts, Alli turns that 5 lbs into 7.5 lbs. And I asked about Alli at my last check up and my doctors gave me the all clear.
    Hi,
    No problem:happy: I was actually partially quoting songbyrdsweet's post in what she had shared. What I've learned about ALI is from doctors and nutritionists...I don't have personal experience in using it myself.

Question for you...how does it know good fat from bad fat and which one to eliminate from you body though? So how does it work exactly... if you don't eat fats then you don't have issues with it? If a person does eat fats then that's where the issues come into play? Guess I'm a bit confused.

I simply eat healthy and workout and the weight drops off ...I have a fair bit to lose so it's dropping off faster then if I had less to lose...for now anyway....it will slow down at a point:noway: .

Well if it's healthy and not damaging your body and it's helping you to change your eating habits, then I say...go for it.

I found when I've used products in the past or special 'diets' I didnt' really learn how to eat properly but only how to 'diet' in a different way. I no longer 'diet' but simply eat less, keep to clean eating, and workout each day and do strength training and keep a positive mindset & down lots & lots of my water:drinker: ... I'll stick to that as it's working for me quite well:drinker: :heart: :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Alli sounds awful.