Can't lose weight

I have been using this app for months now and tracking religiously but can't seem to lose weight. Help please!!!!!

Replies

• HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Need to be able to see your diary.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Make your diary visible to me & maybe I can help you figure out where your downfall is. Keep in mind that I've been on here for almost 2 years & only lost 24 pounds BUT I workout & have been building muscle faster than I'm burning fat & since 1 lb of muscle is denser than 1 lb of fat I seem to not lose according to the scale, however when I see my clothing sizes going down & my measurements are changing I take those as NSV's (non-scale victories) that mean WAY more than what the lying scale says :wink:
  • What are you eating??? If you exercise religiously, it has to be food intake. Start counting calories. I have a weakness for chocolate and everyone wants to bring Reeces Cups to work...and i can't seem to help myself. I'm going to have to work out twice a day to make up for the about of sugar and carbs I'm eating. This is my promise to myself...for every piece of candy i eat, i have to work those calories off that day...lol..let's hope i can stick with it.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    If you feel comfortable, could you please make your diary public so we have a better idea of what you are doing. We would be able to help much better then :-)

Make sure you are eating at least your BMR number of calories. Try to make sure you are eating healthy foods most of the time. Plenty of fresh fruit and veg. Drink plenty of water. Eat some of your exercise calories.

Make sure you have selected the correct activity level for you lifestyle. If you have selected the wrong one you may be eating too many or too few calories.

Exercise helps too, as does watching you carb intake and your sodium. Don't cut your fat below 30% of calories because it helps to prevent spikes in blood sugar.

Without seeing your diary I'm afraid I can't really give any specific answer. I hope you find a solution soon :-)
  • fb1960
    fb1960 Posts: 23
    Are you doing any exercise?

Need to see diary as well...
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    measuring your portions can help. You may be overestimating what 100g looks like.
  • zooflute
    zooflute Posts: 50
    I was having the same problem from May through July, until I finally cut out as much sugar and carbs from my diet as possible: no sodas at home (and only the occasional one while eating out), no alcohol, no candy (except on frozen yogurt), low-sugar cereal in the morning, no pasta or rice. Only drank water. Lots of fiber from beans and veggies. I also increased the intensity of my exercise by going from 2 daily walks with the dog (40 minutes total) to run/walking 3x a week and walking longer distances in between. I try to do a long bike ride once in a while for variety.

I also made sure I had at least a 100-200 calorie deficit at the end of the day, most of the time.

I've lost 4 lbs. this week, and a lb a week for 3 weeks before that.
  • djh1980
    djh1980 Posts: 18
    Ive had success with seriously cutting carbs and sugar. Just low cal didnt work for me either. If ya want to add me you can see my food journal if that helps. I have lose 10 lbs this week. BUt it is my 1st week.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    A body bugg helped me. I use it to track my calories used, and this website to record my diet. It has an excellent calorie database. I keep a 500-1000 caloric deficit most days of the week, with some cheat day room in there. With the body bugg, I was able to see where my increase in activity (not just working out) really makes a huge impact. For example, on days I walk in & out to work from parking, and work a full day, and take a stroll on my lunch hour, I burn 1200 more calories than when I am off work, doing house work and go to the gym that day! Just some food for thought!
  • Can't see your diary so the only thing I can suggest is get your thyroid checked.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    My guess is that you are WAY OFF when you log in food and exercise.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    :smile: Hi, let us see your diary. We can't help if we can't see.....:smile:
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    This app functions on the overly-simplistic premise that eating fewer calories than you take in will make you lose weight, and works on the assumption that you can accurately calculate how many calories your body uses every day. Which works great for many people, but not everyone. There are simply way too many variables to take into consideration. Not all calories are created equal, and some people's bodies & metabolisms process carbs more or less efficiently, or process fat more or less efficiently. I'm sure you've seen that for yourself in everyday life: two people can have the same diet and lifestyle, and one will be skinny and the other overweight. It depends on your genetics, gender, age, height, hormone levels, reproductive cycle... your metabolism can even be affected by old childhood illnesses or by the altitude & humidity levels where you live.

So if you're following the MFP guidelines and they're not working, just tweak the nutrient ratios 'til you find what does work for you. Many people who have trouble losing weight at the recommended levels find it helpful to adjust their carbs down and protein levels up. For example, my doctor has me at 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein and that has worked wonders for me. I would adjust your levels a little at a time, see if it helps, and keep adjusting 'til you find the best plan for your body.

Don't get discouraged. Remember that it's all a learning process. Everyone here will be able to tell you what worked for them, but that won't necessarily be what works for you. Each person's body is different. Just listen to your body & try to figure out what it needs.

Good luck!