:( Gluuuuugh

Options
Ok...not quite a typical Phoenixflame post.

So like, a guy in my hallway is leaving and won't be coming back next semester, so a big group of us all went to this diner (Mel's). 'Twas 12:00ish. I really can't decide on anything, since everything looked pretty greasy. And I also realized, for the first time, that I'd feel rather awkward saying "Um, don't cook that with oil." I never feel that way when I'm with just a few friends. Everybody's ordering burgers and fries and malts. So, I ordered a "lowfat vanilla yogurt shake." I am hardly under any illusion that it is low in calories. And when I got it, it tasted delicious. But within a bite I was feeling guilty as hell.

This distresses me. I'm all for indulging and enjoying yourself. I know why I felt especially guilty--it was so cold and rainy today, and I got hit with a bunch of deadlines, that I didn't make it to the gym.

I'd been at about 1142 calories and planning on a late night snack. A bit of a low day for me, because I was sitting at my desk for most of it, doing work (it's exam time). But not a big@ss yogurt shake snack!

How much damage do you think I did?

I guess I'm also distressed because I wanted to enjoy my yogurt shake. Yeah, it was a big thing of cheap diner deliciousness. But the guilt left a sour taste in my mouth.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok...not quite a typical Phoenixflame post.

So like, a guy in my hallway is leaving and won't be coming back next semester, so a big group of us all went to this diner (Mel's). 'Twas 12:00ish. I really can't decide on anything, since everything looked pretty greasy. And I also realized, for the first time, that I'd feel rather awkward saying "Um, don't cook that with oil." I never feel that way when I'm with just a few friends. Everybody's ordering burgers and fries and malts. So, I ordered a "lowfat vanilla yogurt shake." I am hardly under any illusion that it is low in calories. And when I got it, it tasted delicious. But within a bite I was feeling guilty as hell.

This distresses me. I'm all for indulging and enjoying yourself. I know why I felt especially guilty--it was so cold and rainy today, and I got hit with a bunch of deadlines, that I didn't make it to the gym.

I'd been at about 1142 calories and planning on a late night snack. A bit of a low day for me, because I was sitting at my desk for most of it, doing work (it's exam time). But not a big@ss yogurt shake snack!

How much damage do you think I did?

I guess I'm also distressed because I wanted to enjoy my yogurt shake. Yeah, it was a big thing of cheap diner deliciousness. But the guilt left a sour taste in my mouth.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    You didn't do any damage. You had a shake, you knew it was an indulgance, you didn't order a second or a burger to wash it down with. You KNEW what you were doing & that is a HUGE thing. Self-awareness is a giant step, PF. Plus, it IS exam time (my husband is currently cramming in the basement) so cut yourself some slack in the food & exercise department. You have enough to worry about & since you are now very aware of your exercise & food habits, after next week you'll be right back up on the health wagon eating right & exercising frequently. You'll be just fine! I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your shake, though!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the support! You've truly made me feel better.
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    You should feel happy about your choice not sad. You went to a diner, late at night, during exams and chose probably the healthiest thing on the menu.

There is nothing wrong with that, and I think it shows tremendous strength and dedication.

Be proud of your choice. It was a good one, and you should think back to that shake and only think happy thoughts!!!
  • melissa91971
    Options
    I'm with sapphyre, You should not feel guilty but proud. I think it was a good choice you got to indulge a little but still kept it fairly healthy. Be happy for your choice and move on. :smile: