Who has experience with becoming extremely drowsy after eati

Options
fmramey
fmramey Posts: 18 Member
Not that I want to eat bread, but I still would like an answer as to why I feel so drowsy after eating bread. After a sandwich I can take a three- hour nap and forget driving or maintaining even social energy. As far as I know I do not have an allergy to any of the components of bread. The same thing happens with pasta & pastry.

Replies

• HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think it has something to do with the high carb content of the bread, pasta and pastries. An instructor once told us not to eat high carb meals for lunch break because we were all falling asleep after lunch. She called them 'sleepy time' meals.

Unless you're going to be burning the carbs away, eat healthier!

IMHO
  • Wonderfilledwoman
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? My dr. tells me that the problem is the high carb content in pasta, etc. and my body doesn't make enough insulin to combat it. The same thing happens to me every single time I eat pasta.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Think of it as eating pizza and you feel sluggish the next day. It may not be bread but the meat in the sandwich or type of pasta processed meats contain triptofan (I don't know how you spell it) makes you sleep like having turkey on thanksgiving. Try to eat light eg half a sandwich and the other half later. Happens to me when I eat rice. Just be aware.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You should probably be tested - even if it isn't diabetes, you could still be pre-diabetic or have some other issue with your blood sugar management. Since it's starches you're mentioning as the problem, it's a possibility. Also, if you're eating white bread and pasta, try switching to a whole-grain variety. The added fiber and protein will help slow the digestion of the carbs.