NY CITY!!! never been...looking 4 NON-TOURIST places to go!

2»

Replies

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Born and bred in NYC!

I'm a HUGE fan of the village. There are many coffee shops, bars, clubs, boutiques, off-broadway theaters (i believe blue man group is still there) and ofcourse comedy clubs (comedy cellar is my fav).
    Also within the village is washington square park.

I would also definitely recommend heading out to Governors Island. There is free ferry from brooklyn and manhattan.
    Check out info and ferry schedule at: http://govisland.com/html/home/home.shtml

Times square never gets old! Our favorite restaurant Le Marais Steakhouse is on W46th, and we can spend hours just walking the streets and taking in the sites.

HAVE FUN!!!
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    I mean its pricy but soooo cool. "Please Don't Tell" in the East Village is a Speak Easy. You enter through a phone booth, inside a hot dog restaurant and their drinks are incredible. If you go make a reservation, and go on the early side.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Take the Staten Island ferry, one of the greatests views of the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge and free. Its a 1/2 each way and they run every 1/2 hour. Now there isn't anything to do on Staten Island but the boat ride is so nice.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    "Please Don't Tell" in the East Village is a Speak Easy.

PDT was recently voted in the top 50 bars in America by GQ magazine.
    -wtk
  • zukekitty
    zukekitty Posts: 185
    If you are there on a Monday night, check out Jim Campilongo at The Living Room. Amongst the best Telecaster players ever.
    -wtk
    I'm definitely taking you up on this advice! I have been meaning to check out The Living Room on my past visits, but never made it. Any other music places you would recommend in the Village/Soho/LES area?
    Glad to hear! Let me know how it is. You might get lucky and Norah Jones will stop by.
    -wtk

Even better!

I didn't know PDT takes reservations. That's good to know. Also if you are a classic rock fan, the building from the cover of Led Zeppelin's album Physical Graffiti is across the street from there. At least that's what I have read, but didn't realize it when I was walking by so can't confirm. And if you're a fan of the early punk scene Manitoba's bar is nearby. The walls are covered in photos from the early CBGB days and there is a mural downstairs painted by Shepard Fairey of Iggy Pop and Lou Reed. It's also well known for having a great juke box.
  • Bump ... Hey I need NYC info too ... I gotta check this thread when I have time ... thanks for posting :)
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    bump... I need NYC info too, going in October on the 20th can't wait
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    OK People.... what are the MUST SEE'S and MUST DO'S in NEW YORK CITY???
    I'm not looking for your typical tourist places though! (statue of liberty, empire state bldg, broadway show, etc)

I'm looking for:
    great restaurants with atmosphere, character and food
    hotels nice/not too pricey
    funky shops
    maybe a jazz club with great food/wine?
    or other cool places unique to NYC

I've never been there before! My hubby and I are going for a nice/relaxing/romantic labor day weekend getaway before we're both back in the 'ol classrooms!!

THANKS!!:flowerforyou:

Going in OCTOBER instead - bringing this thread back to life....looking for fun, interesting things to do!!! If you've been to NYC - (or live there) tell me where all the secret "must-do's/sees" are!!!!!