When Looking for Friends...Diversity!

2»

Replies

• hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Well said!!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 846 Member
    Agreed, I only have 4 friends, 2 of them being my mum & sister so they don't count :bigsmile: but of my 2 friends they are both quite different from me & makes for interesting reading of diaries & comments.

I especially get annoyed by the ones who only want people of a certain faith. Like us heathens are good enough to give encouragement. :laugh:
  • grmshelle
    grmshelle Posts: 54 Member
    HELLO EVERYONE! :happy: I'm new here and I agree that it is alot of fun to talk with many different people. Just like workouts, keep mixing it up and it will be much more interesting. GS
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    DIVERSITY......should be my families middle name! We have..GREEKS, SPANISH, CHINESE, BRAZILIAN, to name a few,
    LOVE IT =))) IT IS THE.............SPICE OF LIFE!!!!!!!:drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    My friends have one thing in common......they are sticking with it!!!!!

No they have 2 things in common, they are absolutly awsome!!!!!
  • Hi all. I have noticed that a lot of people, especially when they first sign up here, tend to want friends with whom they seem to have a lot in common. I have seen threads where people are practically asking for carbon copies of themselves - same height and weight, goals, marital status,. etc. It is natural to feel drawn to people with superficial similarities, but if you end up with a friends list of people who are all in the same situation, it can be a case of the blind leading the blind, so to speak.

Vary your friends. Seriously. We have so much to learn from people with different backgrounds, goals, achievements and methods that it would be a genuine shame to limit ourselves.

I have an amazing group of people on my list and I have learned something from all of them. Try it - you might like it!

Disclaimer - This is just my opinion and is based on my personal experience. I do not have any links, graphs or charts to back up these statements and in no way am I implying that my way is the only way.
    [/quote

You don't need charts and graphs we all know that you are the wise one on here! LMAO!!
  • Well let's not be friends... because I totally agree.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    I really only have one preference when it comes to friends...well, maybe two. Dedication and involvement. I don't care if my friends don't comment on my status' every time they're posted, but I hope to get as much feedback as they're willing to give, because I like to be involved with my friends and their struggles AND successes. And I prefer dedication because *I'm* dedicated to this. Other than that, I don't care if my friends have 5 pounds (or stones!) to lose or 400 pounds, or whether theyre ethnically or religiously different then me. Actually, I guess I do have a third preference. I prefer my friends to come in whatever shape, size, color, etc. that they are! Diversity is the spice of life. :happy:
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    I do agree with this. I have vegan friends, friends who are nearly at goal, male and female, folks who live across the pond, low-carb, whatever, and I really love it. It's cool to see different perspectives!
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Agreed, I only have 4 friends, 2 of them being my mum & sister so they don't count :bigsmile: but of my 2 friends they are both quite different from me & makes for interesting reading of diaries & comments.

I especially get annoyed by the ones who only want people of a certain faith. Like us heathens are good enough to give encouragement. :laugh:
    LOL.............So true!! I was taught to love & respect all peoples whateva there faith might be
    or "not".............thats a TRUE christian~~~~
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I'll admit that when I first joined MFP - I went looking for people just like me, similar backgrounds and from the midwest. Now I'll admit that some of my most enjoyable conversations are with those in Europe or in completely different parts of the country, with totally different backgrounds and goals. Variety is the spice of life. I've now gotten to the point where I tend to hide people or delete people if they only log their food/exercise and never interact with me. I also like those with open diaries, helps me find new healthy food, or food I'd never think of eating, but I understand people who want to keep things private.

I'm not the religious type, nor am I an angel, or a heathen, so your language won't offend me. But after 12 year of catholic school, I do mind my P's and Q's

I'm open to new friends
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    love this post!!! I have friends of all different walks of life.......ages, races and religions etc.......and i wouldnt have it any other way :)
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    I have noticed that a lot of people, especially when they first sign up here, tend to want friends... same height and weight, goals, marital status... you end up with a friends list of people who are all in the same situation, it can be a case of the blind leading the blind, so to speak.

I have an amazing group of people on my list and I have learned something from all of them. Try it - you might like it!

See! We do gravitate together, based on being amazing mfp friends ;-)

Seriously, though, i get what you are saying and encouraging everyone to have a variety of friends, as we do, is Wonderful! I will say, though, when i am having a tough day, the one's who are closer to my age, weight, goals, health, marital/kid status, hobbies, and even location are the ones who tend to chime in with support.

As for me, i am an equal opportunity supporter :flowerforyou:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    some good points
This discussion has been closed.