Accidental bite of raw chicken--will I die?

Options
sdirks
sdirks Posts: 223 Member
My husband woke up early this morning to pack a lunch for me--I guess he was half-asleep because this afternoon I bit into my sandwich, chewed and swallowed, only to look down and realize the frozen chicken breast was pan-seared on the outside but the innards were completely raw (not just a little pink but really and truly RAW).

Long story short--am I going to die? What harm can it do? Five hours later, I have a stomach ache about the same intensity as menstrual cramps. Thoughts?

(btw: I have Lupus, ie no immune system to speak of)

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    do you think you're stressing about it so much that that could be the cause of the pains? i wouldn't think that it would make you sick that quick.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a compromised immune system, I think you'll be fine.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The most that will happen after eating one bite will be that you may get nauseous and may vomit or have diarrhea. The human body is a little more sturdy than that :)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    food poisoning usually takes longer than 5 hours to affect you, and my bf (who's a vet) says that actually not as high percentage of chickens have salmonella virus as people think anyway xD

Besides, if it was only a bit your body should be able to fight off any infection from it - just drink loads of water and if you still hurt tomorrow maybe check with your dr.

I dunno what country you're in, if it's the UK maybe call NHS 24 lmao. and if it's not the UK...do you have a similar service where you are?
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents but I think you'll be fine. Your stomach destroys so much of the yucky stuff out there. Maybe you get the runs or a tummy ache. I wouldn't worry.
  • zeuse
    zeuse Posts: 15
    Options
    I've eaten raw chicken, cow, deer and fish. Never had an issue. Dont stress it. haha
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking your temperature through-out the day. Check for a fever. I'm not an expert, but most likely, you will be ok.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I actually DO have a compromised immune system. I have Lupus. My body can't fight off a common cold.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My uncle once ate a raw chicken breast while completely drunk on a camping trip.

He ended up puking it all up and going back to the nightly festivities.

However, if your immune system is compromised, you may want to call your doctor about the issue.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    you will know in 24 hours... not all chicken has harmful bacteria in it... only like 1 in 4... so you have a good change of being just fine.
  • Mandalynn304
    Mandalynn304 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've eaten raw chicken, cow, deer and fish. Never had an issue. Dont stress it. haha

WHY in the world would someone eat Raw Fish, and Deer YUCK!!!!!!!!!! :)