Counting calories from cleaning?

Options
xcmom
xcmom Posts: 33 Member
I cleaned out my clothes closet and drawers today, I wore my heart rate monitor & for 3 hours it says I burned a little over 300 calories. I was trying clothes on to see if they still fit besides just getting rid of what I don't wear. I was doing some other minor cleaning also. I guess in my mind I shouldn't count because I wasn't working up a sweat or winded from doing this. But, I see other people count calories from cleaning. Guess I'm just curious what other people think? I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

Replies

• ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If you burned the calories, then you burned the calories! I count cleaning when it is out of my normal activities....such as cleaning out the closet! I would totally count them!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i myself typically count the calories from cleaning if i'm mopping or something like that, something that i have to put muscle into and that works up a sweat. i think you'd be justified in entering those 300 calories that your monitor said you burned, though!
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I never do..i figure a lot of that is just BMR calories..and i figure I didn't get fat from cleaning..but to each their own :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I agree that there is not a right or wrong answer, but I never count stuff like that. It's awesome to know you burnt 300 calories just doing that, but I think it should just be considered normal daily activities. I only count stuff that I purposely do with the intent of exercising. For example, I danced at the bar on Friday and Saturday, but I never log that. I helped my roommate move her stuff the other day, but I didn't count that.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I personally do not count mine.. To me, that's just normal activity level.
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    I clean my Aunt's house for her (she can't because of health issues) twice a month. It's 3 hours of vigorous cleaning and I count it!

Also, when I clean my own house from top to bottom and work up a good sweat, I count it as well.

Otherwise, general cleaning I don't count.

Cleaning out a closet or something I would count, especially when trying on clothes, etc... that is hard work LOL
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try not to count cleaning calories simply because it is a part of everyday life (I will do it before/during/after dieting). Built into the goal that MFP gave you is this type of "normal" activity. Unless you literally sit on your butt all day and get no exercise, then I wouldn't add it. I also think it depends on what your levels are set at- anything other than sedentary I definitely wouldn't add it.
  • PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I think you should count them. If you can do your "regular" exercise today as well then that's great! However if you can't you should still know you were moving.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I don't count tidying. I count cleaning if I break a sweat. It works for me (that is I'm still losing). It doesn't work for everyone.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have your activity level set at. If it's sedentary, then add away. If it isn't (and you account for daily activities in it), then don't. I usually don't add cleaning but my activity level is set at light anyway. Good luck!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I imagine you did a lot of bending and stretching during the course of cleaning out your closets and trying things on. JMO, compared to setting idle while watching tv or surfing the net, it should count for something!!!
  • bblueprintlovee
    Options
    When I mop, I mop hardcore, and when I mop hardcore, I definitely work up a sweat. I mopped today and counting the 10 minutes I mopped for said I burned 47 well-deserved calories, so I am satisfied with that. I count it. I don't count if I clean something out, though.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This is what I do. If it is an activity that I do on a daily basis such as cleaning or laundry I do not count it. However if it is something I do not do every day such as mowing the lawn, I count it. I use my mowing the lawn days as my exercise for the day. If I am doing minor cleaning, I do not count it but am sure to get a workout in that day. Major cleaning (like the entire house or cleaning out the closets/ garage) I would count, especially if it took me a few hours!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I log my grass cutting, for example, because it is outside of my set sedentary activity level, but I make a point of not eating those calories. I eat part of my workout calories, though.
  • xcmom
    xcmom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions on this. I decided for me I'm not going to count them, to me it's not intentional exercise.
  • vampee
    vampee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I didnt add my work activity level into my equation, so I always count the cleaning I do at work. I am really busy, constantly moving, cleaning and what not but I usually only add half or less of the amount of time. At home I only count when it is harder cleaning such as sweeping and moping the floors, scrubbing the bathrooms and what not. Everyday upkeep....no.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I count my cleaning if it's more than 20 minutes of straight activity where I'm actually up and moving around (vacuuming vs. sitting down to fold laundry)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If I do more cleaning than my "usual" - I count it.