Cardio work out in bed after dislocation

Options
jgaht
jgaht Posts: 47 Member
Hello everyone!

I need some suggestions. Unfortunately, I had a minor knee dislocation last night which means I'll be in an immobilizer knee brace for approximately 2 weeks and slowly building back up my activity level. This is extremely unfortunate because I was just starting to enjoy exercise. Therefore, I looked up an "in bed" upper body cardio work out by ExerciseTV's Laurel.

Here's a brief description of what this workout entails as well as a link to the youtube video:

aurel's Upper Body Workout:

-Wings - 3 minutes

-Bouncing Circles - 3 minutes (each arm)

-Conductor - 3 minutes

-Speed Bag- 3 minutes each (forwards and backwards)

-Bicycles - 3 minutes each (forwards and backwards)

-Shadow Boxing-1 minute each (out, up, and down)

-Jump Rope - 3 minutes each (forwards and backwards)

That would be 33 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uz2wY129PM

My question for you: How do I log it? Is it enough to cardio to log? I tried it, and it definitely got my heart rate up with sweat!

I'm trying to stay under 1200 cals but sometimes I struggle with that. Therefore, even an extra 100 - 200 cals in exercise cals really helps me out. Plus, I just want to stay somewhat active while crippled.

Thanks so much in advance. I <3 the MFP community.

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would say to rest your knee and get better rather than worry about whether or not you're missing your cardio workouts.

While it's great to be active, if your goal is fat burn and losing weight, you can do far more by changing your diet to include more lean proteins, healthy fats and getting your carbs from greens, and the weight melts right off.

That being said, it's an interesting circuit so I would possibly log it as such. Your exercise logging is simply a guesstimate anyways.

Hope your knee is better soon.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just what I need! Im getting hip surgery tomorrow, so I won't be able to do normal workouts. i will use my HRM to track it, if you don't have one, I'm not sure how you should track it.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would say to rest your knee and get better rather than worry about whether or not you're missing your cardio workouts.

While it's great to be active, if your goal is fat burn and losing weight, you can do far more by changing your diet to include more lean proteins, healthy fats and getting your carbs from greens, and the weight melts right off.

That being said, it's an interesting circuit so I would possibly log it as such. Your exercise logging is simply a guesstimate anyways.

Hope your knee is better soon.

Thanks for the feedback! My diet has been awful this summer. I'm going grocery shopping this week and heading for the fruits/veggies. What kind of proteins do you suggest? I'd ideally like something I can cook the night before and have leftovers for lunch.