Marshmallow cake 81 cals!

Options
chrisdavey
chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
Marshmallow Cake 81 cals 3/0/15 C/F/P

4 Egg Whites
7g Splenda
1g Xantham Gum
1 Packet SF jelly with 175ml hot and 175ml cold water (raspberry and lime jelly lite flavouring makes cola flavour)
5g Gelatine which was added to the jelly mixture
dash of vanilla essence

Just whip up 4 egg whites
In a seperate bowl dissolve 28g gelatine in 125ml cold water, don't let it set, then add 125 boiling water. Stir
Add 7g splenda and vanilla essence to your gelatine.
Turn the egg whites back on in the mixer and slowly add in your gelatine mix.
Pour into a tray, and let it sit in the fridge for about 1.5hrs.

No pics, but it basically looks like protein fluff but it has marshmallow texture. You can chop it up into whatever size bits you want. I attempted to eat the lot in one go and couldn't. Got through 3/4 :tongue:

(I forgot that Americans use the term jelly for what we call jam (or fruit conserve). The sugar free jelly mix I use is this one. So look for something similar raspberry.jpg)

This is what the additional gelatin is.
beef-gelatin-powder-1-lb-now.jpg

I got mine from the baking area of supermarket near baking powder.

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    High in Protein low in Cals and Carbs.. Sounds interesting
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    So we put the jelly and gelatin in the same thing with water?

This is making my brain hurt, Chris.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    So we put the jelly and gelatin in the same thing with water?

This is making my brain hurt, Chris.

That is correct :) You need the additional unsweetened jelly so that it is strong enough mixture to turn the whole amount of fluffed of egg whites to a solidified texture. (otherwise, you just have protein fluff minus the protein powder :tongue:)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Marshmallow Cake 81 cals 3/0/15 C/F/P

4 Egg Whites
    7g Splenda
    1g Xantham Gum
    1 Packet SF jelly with 175ml hot and 175ml cold water (raspberry and lime jelly lite flavouring makes cola flavour)
    5g Gelatine which was added to the jelly mixture
    dash of vanilla essence

Just whip up 4 egg whites
    In a seperate bowl dissolve 28g gelatine in 125ml cold water, don't let it set, then add 125 boiling water. Stir
    Add 7g splenda and vanilla essence to your gelatine.
    Turn the egg whites back on in the mixer and slowly add in your gelatine mix.
    Pour into a tray, and let it sit in the fridge for about 1.5hrs.

No pics, but it basically looks like protein fluff but it has marshmallow texture. You can chop it up into whatever size bits you want. I attempted to eat the lot in one go and couldn't. Got through 3/4 :tongue:

(I forgot that Americans use the term jelly for what we call jam (or fruit conserve). The sugar free jelly mix I use is this one. So look for something similar raspberry.jpg)

This is what the additional gelatin is.
    beef-gelatin-powder-1-lb-now.jpg

I got mine from the baking area of supermarket near baking powder.

When does the Xantham Gum go in? Can I replace it with something or omit it? I DK if I can find it here! :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Oh sorry, I put that in with the egg whites when they are fluffed up a bit. And you can DEFINITELY get it in the US. That is where I heard of it from :tongue:

Also, sorry I was incorrect on the macros as I used 1 serve of SF jelly instead of the 4 it has. So it is

130 cals 4/0/27 C/F/P for a whole cake!!!! :smile:
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    BIG SIGH - I so want to do this, but I'm afraid jelly and gelatin doesn't exactly meet my vegetarian ethics. It's a struggle of mine. Great source of protein and so so low cal, but.....!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    damn. I mentioned it to my Mum who is vegetarian also. I'll see if she has come up with any replacements.
  • JennLifts
    Options
    BIG SIGH - I so want to do this, but I'm afraid jelly and gelatin doesn't exactly meet my vegetarian ethics. It's a struggle of mine. Great source of protein and so so low cal, but.....!

you can use Agar Agar, or most kosher gelatins are safe. Lieber's unflavored gel, Carmel's unsweetened gel, KoJel's unflavored gel, and Hain Superfruits are all vegan, so they don't come from animals.
  • JennLifts
    Options
    Ok, I think I understand, except when it says to "In a seperate bowl dissolve 28g gelatine in 125ml cold water, don't let it set, then add 125 boiling water. Stir " Because I thought I dissolved all of the different "jellies" in 175ml hot/cold water? so I take that water mixture, and add more water?
  • lakergreat1
    Options
    What if I don't have unflavoured Jello? How bout if I used flavoured??

And Jenn's question too.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Some people have used 2 packets of flavoured jello & 10g gelatin. I only used 1 packet and 5g and it set fine for me so I think anywhere between these 2 levels will work. You could try 2 packets flavoured and IMO I "think" it would work fine but not going to know until you try it. You guys can DEFINITELY get unflavoured stuff in the US though :smile:

This is all I did:
    1. got another bowl
    2. put 1 packet of flavoured jello in there and additional 5g unflavoured gelatin
    3. put 125ml boiling water in and stirred
    4. put another 125ml of cold water in and stirred
    5. add this liquid to the egg whites slowly as they were in the electric mixer

Hope that clears it up :)

Making another one tonight so will get some pics :tongue:
  • JennLifts
    Options
    Ok. You are the worst at recipe writing. But we forgive you, because they all look yummylicious.

Thanks Chris :)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    serves me right for copying and pasting :P

I just made my second attempt at lunch time then.

One thing I will add is: Use a bowl with a pourer for your jello so you don't spill it all over the bench like me haha
  • chocolategram
    Options
    yummy
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    pics finally :smile: I made it through 3/4 of the cake but couldn't finish. Was topped with 1 cup low fat greek yoghurt mixed with SF vanilla pudding.

11%2B-%2B1

Yes this is upside down (not camera upside down :smile:)
    11%2B-%2B1

texture
    11%2B-%2B1

with topping
    11%2B-%2B1

mixed through
    11%2B-%2B1
  • JennLifts
    Options
    LOL it looks like barph hahahahaha. Oh my.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    and tastes farkin awesome :tongue:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to make this! I don't have a car this week so I've not been able to make ti to a store that sales the X gum! Hoping to get there via my bike tomorrow! I REALLY want to try this! :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Reports from non healthy friends was that it was tasty as too!

Also, the guy who gave me the recipe has now started adding the yoghurt to the fluffed egg whites before the jelly. 1 tbspn at a time and up to 150g he said. So going to give that a go next time :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's possible to make this without a mixer? Could I just beat the hell out of it with a whisk ?

Also - I'd like to cut down on the artificial sweetener. How sweet is this? With the jello + splenda, it sounds like it is probably very dessert-like. Just curious!

Looks deeeelish!