fruits vs. other snacks

Options
Fruit has more calories than some other snacks. Does it make more sense to eat say, the 60 calorie pudding or the 100 calorie apple?

Replies

• ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    Fruit doesn't have all the bad sugars and carbs. I'm all about eating clean so I always go with fruit.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    nutrition wise, the apple would win, however I eat a lot fruit as it is, so I'd prob take the pudding once in awhile :)
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I believe it makes sense to have the 100 calorie apple because the natural sugar in the apple is easily absorbed by your body.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    All calories were not created equal... An apple has more nutritional value and in my opinion will fill you up more.

You are what you eat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What does a 100 calorie apple look like??? The ones I get are about 50 calories each.

I always go to fruit first for a snack, usually apples, or apricots (19 calls each). Peaches and nectarines are a little higher (60 cals) and higher in sugar than apples. Apples are great. I would eat nothing else given a chance. I can't think of anything else that fills me up for 50 cals. If I have humous and cucumber (my other common snack food) I go far higher on calories, as humous has about 80 for a tiny spoonful.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories eat the apple. Or eat half the apple. I agree with everyone about the apple being better. But if you just like the pudding and want some once in a while that is cool to....or you could try another fruit like a nectarine which only has like 62 calories in one medium fruit. I like them better anyway cause they taste sweeter to me!
  • fteale
    Options
    If you have the calories eat the apple. Or eat half the apple. I agree with everyone about the apple being better. But if you just like the pudding and want some once in a while that is cool to....or you could try another fruit like a nectarine which only has like 62 calories in one medium fruit. I like them better anyway cause they taste sweeter to me!

They ARE sweeter! They have a lot more sugar than apples.
  • LaSutopia
    Options
    What does a 100 calorie apple look like??? The ones I get are about 50 calories each.

I always go to fruit first for a snack, usually apples, or apricots (19 calls each). Peaches and nectarines are a little higher (60 cals) and higher in sugar than apples. Apples are great. I would eat nothing else given a chance. I can't think of anything else that fills me up for 50 cals. If I have humous and cucumber (my other common snack food) I go far higher on calories, as humous has about 80 for a tiny spoonful.

I just checked and your right....most are around 80 cals...some are 50ish.
  • LaSutopia
    Options

well they are only 62 cals and it is good sugar not processed. so I don't see how that is bad.... I eat apples as well....that is usually the only fruit I eat.. on a regular basis
  • fteale
    Options

well they are only 62 cals and it is good sugar not processed. so I don't see how that is bad.... I eat apples as well....that is usually the only fruit I eat.. on a regular basis

It's not bad. Just pointing out that they have more sugar in than apples, which is why they taste sweeter. I eat them too.
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Apple any day... case closed :)
  • Babs0515
    Options
    Love your question,,"Doesn't it make more sense??" Usually the answer is in the question. The pudding may taste better, look better and be more appealing to your eye. The pudding may be exactly what you need and want. The real question is: "Do I want an apple or this pudding snack?" To the calorie question....look at the other information and decide. Will eating the apple be a partner is your "Fitness Quest", or will the pudding? I have learned to love fruit..but I had to pass on the sweeter snacks so my taste buds got used to a more natural sweetness. If I eat an apple, I have had a snack, If I had pudding, I just had dessert! Good luck, we are all on this journey.
  • MyNewLeaf
    Options
    The apple is better for losing weight, even if it has nearly double the calories.

Why?

The fiber of the natural food slows down the spike in blood sugar. This has to do with cortisol levels, and the spike and subsequent drop you get from a sugary treat actually encourages your body to put on more weight, whereas the apple, even with extra calories, has vitamins and fiber along with more slowly integrating into your body.

In many cases, eating that is closely aligned with food in its natural state is going to provide the most health and minimize weight gain.

If you are going to go for the pudding (and why not sometimes? you gotta be able to enjoy eating), try to eat protein and fat beforehand to mitigate the sugar spike somewhat. Ideally, have a balanced meal that includes protein and fat beforehand for the best results.

Happy eating!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Dip the apple in the pudding. Sounds yummy!