Beginner Runner Needs Advice

Options
I want to start running and I need tips and advice. I have asthma so I have to ease into it! And I've just started working out regularly in the last month...but I think running will help get me where I want to be. I just need to know where to start!

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    google c25k... it's amazing...
  • Jfwoodcock
    Jfwoodcock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ive been having alot of luck with the race walking...check it out!! doctors recommend it to people to who are older, or have joint problems...its slower and way less impact than running, but by God, what a workout!! it looks silly, but i get way more of a workout doing that than running, because i always give up, running, but never, walking....good luck!!
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K on the net, it is a free program over 9 weeks that eases you into running. You can print it off for free. I just started it last week and I am no runner. It is "couch to 5k. Hope that helps.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't have asthma, so I don't really know what you're dealing with, but the plan I used to start running is the Couch to 5k program. You can find it through Facebook or go to www.coolrunning.com and it will be on there. It starts you off really slowly. I love running now! I've done four 5ks so far. I have another coming up and then a week after that is my first 10k!! Good luck!
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    I agree. Definitely do the C25K program. It's realistic and effective. If you need to extend some blocks, do it, then move on when you're ready. Best of luck to you.
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I good way to kind of get into it is to say for example, run for 3 min, walk for 2 and repeat that 5 or 6 times. When you become comfortable with that, move to 4 min run with 2 min walk, then move to 5 min run with 2 min walk, 5 min run with 1 min walk, etc. When you become comfortable enough try doing a whole mile.

You need to remember to take it slowly and only run 3-4 times a week. Start out slowly also by picking a slower pace that you can try to keep for the whole time you are jogging. Try this out and see if it works. It's kind of hard to give someone a running plan when you don't really know what level you are already starting at, but like I said, try this out and move on from there.

Good Luck!!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm another C25K believer and I suffer from exercise-induced asthma and have been able to use this and C210K to springboard myself into running multiple times.

My husband also started this about 8 weeks ago. He is on week 6 of the program. Basically, do a week and if you start on a week and feel you aren't ready for it, step back and repeat the last week and then try again. He repeated week 2 and also week 5, I believe.

Good luck!
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options
    Couch to 5k! I finished it about a month and a half ago. I've run 2 5ks since and started to bridge to 10k program. I never ran before I started this program and it is perfectly designed for folks like me. It's slow but gets the job done. GOOD LUCK!
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    I too am a beginner runner. Due to weight and joint issues before I never could, now I can. Well, I am attempting to.....What I do is push as far as I can, then allow myself to walk just till I catch my breath enough, then I run again till I just can't.....I find each time I do this I get alittle more run and alittle less walk.....Just work up to it....Rome was not built in a day :)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I now run 3-5 miles almost every day... I started doing C25K BUT didn't finish and just went for it!!!!

Start out walking, walking a little faster then just go for it. I found I could run longer than C25K and also can longer and faster outside than on the treadmill.

Good luck!

Get good shoes and insoles!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the C25K advice. I also have exercised induced asthma, and can run 7 miles at a time now!
    Tips to remember:

1) Don't run on high pollen, smog, or pollution days.
    2) Listen to your body!
    3) Use your rescue inhaler (albuterol usually) 10-15 minutes before you exercise or go running, everytime.

Hopefully that helps. Good Luck!
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    Yep, it's pretty much unanimous... C25K is the way to go.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You know you are always welcome to run with Kevin and I! We would help you for sure.... I helped him get to where he is today!! Of course, he probably wouldn't admit that lol!! Good luck Jamie!