OMG I'm fat! =(

Options
Just got back from vacationing in the Florida Keys and saw a video of myself in a bathing suit. It was bad, and not just a little bad, but really bad. My booty is literally like twice as wide as it used to be. I knew I had a few pounds to lose but I had no idea that I looked like this. I think I am going to take some very private pictures of myself to continue looking at as my reality checks when I don't feel like eating well or working out.

For those of you who have successfully begun and committed to a healthy lifestyle and weight loss campaign - what is your number one tip? What is your motivation motto that you say to yourself when you're losing steam?

I want to write all of the tips and motivators down and keep them up where I can see them every day.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself but don't have too many treats. Wean yourself off stuff, don't go cold turkey.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm committed but I don't have any tips other than track, track, track! When I don't track what I eat, I am completely lost. This is my #1 tip.

Also, based on your signature it looks like you have realistic weight loss goals, which I don't see here all that often. I approve! :)
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Keep checking in here..seeing my 'friends' doing so well keeps me motivated to move and eat healthy! :smile:
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    is there a still picture of you looking that way? get a print of it and put it somewhere where you'll be sure to see it! i know a lot of people keep their "fat picture" on their fridge.
    (it was a picture that made me realize how fat i was too, by the way, so i totally feel your pain!)

for me, it's taken a long time to lose the weight i've lost. from 2007 through now, i've kept falling off the horse and getting back on... and that's the important thing -- the getting back on the horse. i don't think i have a lot of tips really... it's just the kind of thing you have to make your only option. i keep trying because i can't NOT try. NOT-trying is not an option.

i used to go to weight watchers, and i always think of something a guy there said: "if i have a bad day, i write 'bad day' in my tracker and turn the page, and move on, and try again tomorrow".
    i do that sometimes here on MFP... on a bad day, i'll manually input my calories to be the full amount of my allowance, and put it away til tomorrow. it's so much better than not putting anything and feeling too discouraged to go back to it tomorrow!
  • Shae3891
    Shae3891 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i put a smiley face sticker on the calendar every day that I work out, it pumps me up to see the calendar getting floor and gives me the kick in the butt when I slack off :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My only tip is just do it. Throw yourself in, exercise whenever you can (it's not easy with small children), set yourself a food target and damn well stick to it, no matter what.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    you'l always find that u fail unless u have something to really motivate u!
    For me it was putting on 12 pounds in 4 days..
    And i think seeing these pictures are just what u needed!
    I think now uv hit this OMG point!
    You wont fail!!
    But either way good luck! =)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Having looked at your pics, though.....you aren't actually fat at all. How tall are you?
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Find ways of continuing to eat things you like, but either modify them or adjust the rest of your day around them. If you like lots of things like I do, always look for ways to expand your menu. This will keep you from getting food bored. Also, on my profile, the tagline says "It's time to start loving myself more than food". If I pick up something to eat that I know I shouldn't, if I say that in my mind, I'll usually put said food item down.
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    THE most important thing is to not get discouraged and fall into a bad groove. One bad day or one bad week is nothing but a small blip. Get right back on program and it will be like it never happened!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I keep motivated, by just not looking back. I got rid of all my larger clothes. This is my closet. My clothes. If they start getting tight I'm screwed. LOL! I also became an instructor. This way I HAVE to go to the gym....or I'll get fired. :-D
  • HansTied
    HansTied Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 40 lbs. but I have another 140 to go. If I look at how long it is going to take me to accomplish this task, it seems almost impossible.
    Here is the one thng I use to keep going: Let's say it will take me 500 days to accomplish this. I don't have to eat like this 500 days in a row.......I have to eat this way ONE day in a row, 500 times.
    It may seem cheesy, but It works for me.
    The days I feel I can't do this, I just tell my self "just get through today".
    Good luck and continue your good work.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Your "OMG I'm fat!" weight is less than my "reach and reassess" goal weight.
  • cassimus
    cassimus Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've really just started my journey on weight loss and so far my "tip" is to drink a buttload of water! I've noticed a huge difference on the inches I lose to how I feel and weeks where I've had a ton of water show on the scale.

My motivation is to be healthier because I'm really sick of being sweaty and out of breath at the little things! I also love food and cooking and I've given myself this project of trying to make really delicious but also very healthy things so it's turned into a mission in that sense, almost.

My last motivator is fitting into more clothing, because I love shopping, hehe.

So far I've lost 7.2 lbs (though only 3 since starting MFP) and it's been tough because I love snacking and not exercising, so slow and steady for me.
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day; we are not perfect beings.

Study nutritional facts on the foods you buy.

Use the Food DB on here, it is pretty accurate.

Pat yourself on the back even if you a lose a little bit of weight; every pound counts.

Good luck!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself but don't have too many treats. Wean yourself off stuff, don't go cold turkey.

yep, very good advice. I like to switch out stuff. e.g. pretzels instead of chips, popcicle or freezie instead of icecream, yogurt instead of pudding, coffee whitener instead of cream - i know some people don't like that. BUT a large double double from tim hortons has 12g of fat.
    what was my point? oh yeah, try to avoid take out of everything! and read labels!
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    i think fat day pictures are the best weight loss motivators. i saw a picture of myself at 80 kilos (176 pounds) which was my highest weight ever and when I saw it I was like "HELLLLLL NO"...and never looked back!! good luck you can do this!!! I'm sure I've put on more weight than you in a shorter time frame in the past, and it is so possible to get rid of it.
    ( I gained 40 pounds in 6 months, due to issues with my self....some failures and dumb ****. NO EXCUSES for me now)

Take care and good luck!! here for any support!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think there are three main areas to work on for losing weight:
    - food. You know how to do this. Eat real food, not too much of it.
    - exercise. It makes you feel good, builds muscle to increase your metabolism and tones you up so you look leaner and feel better.
    - attitude. From reading your post, I'd say this is the biggest area you have to work on. I don't know how tall you are but at 136 pounds there's a good chance you are in (or very close to) the healthy weight range. And if that's your cute baby in the pic, of course your hips are larger, that's what happens to women.
    I know it's hard when you are bigger than you used to be but calling yourself names isn't going to help.
    Setting out to be as healthy as you can be will be a great goal and by next holiday you'll be feeling much better.

Good luck!
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You guys are all awesome. Thanks for the advice and tips.

First, to note, I am 5'2" and 135 pounds. This may not sound like a lot to some of you, but I used to be and still feel like I am 110 pounds. I feel like a 110 pound woman, but then I saw that video and realized that somehow 25 pounds have attached to me.

It's weird how you slowly gain weight so you don't realize how much your body is changing until you see one of these pictures.

The other real kicker for me was the snorkleing trip we went on yesterday. I was with my daughter and it was her first time. She is 13 years old, an athlete, and the same size as me (but muscle not fat). I realized we were getting sucked out by the current and that there was no way I'd ever be able to rescue her if it came to that because I could hardly save myself. I'm out of shape, over weight, and exhausted. Obviously, we fought the current and got back to the boat but it really panicked me. I'm not fit enough to save my kids life - THIS IS A PROBLEM!

I shouldn't be winded going up one flight of steps.
    I shouldn't be tired all the time.

I've been battling this weight issue for a long time now, but I didn't realize how off the wagon I had fallen. And after this vacation - seeing the pictures of me so out of shape, and seeing how out breathe I was swimming into the current, I need to take this seriously.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My one tip would be to take it a little bit at a time.. and know that you can always start over tomorrow.

I pretty much took it 5 pounds at a time.. Every time I lost 5 pounds, I kept telling myself you can do 5 more.. no matter how long it takes to come off, it's only 5 more pounds. Slowly those 5 pounds started adding up, until I hit 25 pounds gone.

Also, make sure to do weight lifting of some sort. Since muscle burns more calories then fat at rest, you'll be burning extra each day with out even doing anything :)