Living on $1.00/day

Options
So i recently saw a news clip about this couple that lived for 1 month on $1.00 per day (each, so $60.00 for the month). This is what they ate (every day): Breakfast - Plain oatmeal with 1 tsp of margarine; Lunch - A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on homemade bread; Dinner - Rice, beans and tortillas.

That being said.... my hubby and I live on approximately $300.00/mo. That does not include things like alcohol, any time we may decide to order in/eat out etc. However, we only eat out MAYBE one meal each week on a regular basis. This week we ate out 3 meals... but that's because we've been taking care of 5 puppies all week. Here is what our normal monthly groceries are like:

Almost everything is always on sale. We buy generic. We eat atleast 1 meal every week of leftovers. We buy whole grain, 2%, reduced fat; reduced sodium EVERYTHING. So... we're buying good food. I usually buy 1 family pack of chicken breasts, a few packages of ground hamburger and ground turkey, a few packages of red meat like steaks or stew meat, a few boxes of pasta, a bag of potatos, a few bags of fresh produce (oranges, apples, grapes) bananas, canned veggies or frozen veggies, generic 2% cheese, fat free lactose free milk (1 gallon per month... 2 half gallons); a few bags of low fat tortilla chips or pringles; a few 12 packs of soda; 1 pack of bottled water; a few cans of tuna; tortilla shells; shredded cheese; 1-2 boxes of instant oatmeal; 2 loaves of bread; 2 packages of hamburger/hot dog buns... and this is just a general estimate like i said.

From all of this: Every morning i have 1 package of instant oatmeal. For lunch I have leftovers or a sandwich/wrap of some kind with fruit or chips. For dinner we will have hamburgers or steaks or chicken or fajitas, tortillas, some kind of pasta..... we eat good.... on $10.00/day for the both of us. So... it is possible folks... you can live on good food when you're watching your money.

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    So i recently saw a news clip about this couple that lived for 1 month on $1.00 per day (each, so $60.00 for the month). This is what they ate (every day): Breakfast - Plain oatmeal with 1 tsp of margarine; Lunch - A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on homemade bread; Dinner - Rice, beans and tortillas.

That being said.... my hubby and I live on approximately $300.00/mo. That does not include things like alcohol, any time we may decide to order in/eat out etc. However, we only eat out MAYBE one meal each week on a regular basis. This week we ate out 3 meals... but that's because we've been taking care of 5 puppies all week. Here is what our normal monthly groceries are like:

Almost everything is always on sale. We buy generic. We eat atleast 1 meal every week of leftovers. We buy whole grain, 2%, reduced fat; reduced sodium EVERYTHING. So... we're buying good food. I usually buy 1 family pack of chicken breasts, a few packages of ground hamburger and ground turkey, a few packages of red meat like steaks or stew meat, a few boxes of pasta, a bag of potatos, a few bags of fresh produce (oranges, apples, grapes) bananas, canned veggies or frozen veggies, generic 2% cheese, fat free lactose free milk (1 gallon per month... 2 half gallons); a few bags of low fat tortilla chips or pringles; a few 12 packs of soda; 1 pack of bottled water; a few cans of tuna; tortilla shells; shredded cheese; 1-2 boxes of instant oatmeal; 2 loaves of bread; 2 packages of hamburger/hot dog buns... and this is just a general estimate like i said.

From all of this: Every morning i have 1 package of instant oatmeal. For lunch I have leftovers or a sandwich/wrap of some kind with fruit or chips. For dinner we will have hamburgers or steaks or chicken or fajitas, tortillas, some kind of pasta..... we eat good.... on $10.00/day for the both of us. So... it is possible folks... you can live on good food when you're watching your money.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I did see that article too today. I was in walmart and showed my sister and told her I guess it was possible but I am not sure if I could really but if I needed to I would.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    My bf and I live on about $175-200/month right now...I can't have any whole grains or fresh vegetables/fruits so that really reduces the bills. We buy store brand everything, and white bread and canned vegetables aren't expensive at all. Our biggest expense is milk and meat. I go through a gallon of milk or soymilk a week. He likes to buy roasts that are sort of pricey but worth the money for how many meals we get out of them. I also buy some healthy choice meals, but since a lot of them are so high in fiber I can't eat very many. So, while I'm eating well for what I'm allowed to have, I'm not eating how I'd like to be. I miss whole grain bread and I REALLY miss salad :frown: We used to spend probably $50 more a month when we were eating more whole grains like the pasta and getting salad bags and such.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    We live on about $150 or less a month. We're trying to save more money every month, but this has been the average for about 4 months or so.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    We live on about $150 or less a month. We're trying to save more money every month, but this has been the average for about 4 months or so.
    awesome raincloud! how ya doin that? great thread... I might try this $1 a day deal...but I would have to change up the dinner as it's all carbs and I need me some PROTEIN! .....oh wait, beans can go either way...so that'll work.... I don't have the cash flow to buy much on the fruit side and I sure do MISS IT! an apple sounds like a bar of gold/heaven to me right about now....

Best to all of you....we do the best we can as we can......right?:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    This is an absolutely wonderful topic!!! There are so many folks out there who are convinced that they can't save $$$. Yet they have a Starbucks and bagel for breakfast, not realizing that the calories are hurting them as much as blowing their budget.

Eggs are another wonderful $ saver...hard boiled the carry well for lunch...good protein source.

Keep it going folks!!!!!!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I read that article and saw what they ate!!!! Homeless people could have been interviewed for that too. Sad but true.

Might be cheap but SERIOUSLY devoid of a nutritious balance! You would need to buy $50 in vitamins just to keep yourself healthy on that diet!

I remember when times were hard for us and PB&J or boloney sandwiches would get us through too....but healthwise, not the best nor would I condone it for anyone trying to improve their overall health and mental sanity.

No veggies, no fruits, no whole grains fish or poultry? C'mon!!!! You save money but risk your life.:huh:

Enough said.

(opinions based strictly on that article and nothing else)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I read that article and saw what they ate!!!! Homeless people could have been interviewed for that too. Sad but true.

Might be cheap but SERIOUSLY devoid of a nutritious balance! You would need to buy $50 in vitamins just to keep yourself healthy on that diet!

I remember when times were hard for us and PB&J or boloney sandwiches would get us through too....but healthwise, not the best nor would I condone it for anyone trying to improve their overall health and mental sanity.

No veggies, no fruits, no whole grains fish or poultry? C'mon!!!! You save money but risk your life.:huh:

Enough said.

(opinions based strictly on that article and nothing else)
    very valid points....perhaps I'll skip the article! Appreciate your input....made me think!!:noway:

I do pretty well with what I got going now...just need to go the store is all and get me some APPLES! I always figure my body is craving a particular food for a reason.... I think when we have our bodies on track that just might be the case.:drinker: For whatever reason I need apples and I need them NOW!:huh: :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of 6 (two of whom are teenage boys) for $400 per month ($500 if you're adding in things like toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc). Give or take a little. We buy a gallon of milk a day, and go through a couple of loaves of bread in a week. I only buy meat that is on sale, and stock the freezer. I go through each store's ads (the store I shop at accepts competitor coupons), and build my list around those coupons, then add in other necessities. Each trip I save on average $50 dollars. My high was $80 something saved, but usually in the $50's. And yes, we buy fruit and veggies, the kid's have a rule in our house that every other day, they must eat fruit for snack at school, and on the off days, they can take other stuff like gogurt, pickles, or crackers. Of course, on those off days if they want a snack after school it has to be fruit. We have veggies at every dinner. We're trying to teach them healthy habits, even if they hate it!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    We need to start a thrifty price watchers thread. I will do that
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    We need to start a thrifty price watchers thread. I will do that
    awesome idea:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hello all..

well i never calculated, but my bf and i are living on about 10$ a day .. well . i mean less then 6 pounds and in todays exganges rate its probably more like 7$ lol anywho.,.. i say that but in our habits of living i dont feel deprived at all...i think the thing that saves us the most is that we dont bin anything... we are veryfull of what we buy so that nothing goes to waste..

we are vegetarians.. so we dont buy meat, but we do buy the substitute, so it almost comes to the same thing. we dont drink.. and we dont go out for our meal (like never) half of what we buy is organic.
    we drink 2 liters of soy milk a week. 1 1/2 loaf of bread, 1 box of cereal. at least 3 kind of fruit and an other 3 of veggies. pasta sauce and pasta. 1 liter of milk. cheese, yogurt. beans, nuts and dried fruit. all that goes a long way.

so yeah . its possible.. !!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well now you got me thinking. I spend around $250 every 2 weeks on grocery. I was happy when my son moved out as I assumed our bill would go down tremendously.

Just the TP alone would save $6 a week!:laugh:

So I just couldn't figure out how I am spending the same money for just 2 of us??

Then my 21 year old daughter showed up on Sat afternoon (I always shop Sat morn on payday week) with her Publix Greenwise bag. She stayed to visit and do the laundry....then filled her bag with groceries before returning to her apt!!

Bet you didnt see THAT Publix commercial this week!!
  • mhosner
    mhosner Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I were just starting out and going through some rough times we were living on $3.50 a day. I have to say you don't feel good, you don't look good, and you are always tired. Let's break down what it was like for us on those days..

1 slice toast for breakfast with butter
    Mac and cheese for lunch or hot dogs without buns
    hamburger helper or beef stew from can, or Mac and cheese with tuna in it, or a family fav. casserole (left overs for next day)

Kool-aid to drink

Now as you can see no veggies, no fruits, not much of anything good for you. But it was cheap. There is a reason that rich are skinny and poor (lower class not homeless) are more overweight.

1. Can't afford to eat fresh
    2. Can't afford nice gyms
    3. Too depressed to care

Now with all that being said there are ways to make cheap work, and there are ways as (lower income) to eat and live healthier.

1. Buy fruits and Veggies from local farmers market. U-Pick can be reasonable. And guess what you can freeze those items, or can them.
    2. Buy frozen if you have too. Just adding corn and peas to some cooked noodles with tuna will give you a cheap dinner and your at about $2.25 for the meal.
    3. Wheat bread cost the same as white
    4. Cook with chicken broth instead of butter. Things wont stick and you just cut out calories.
    5. If you get WIC use it to make family meals. The cheese doesn't have to be cut into slices and eat by the pound at one time. Shred it and add it to a meal sparingly. Better yet talk to your WIC office but most counties will allow you to get sting cheese if not wrapped individual. Great TREAT!
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have saved so much money switching from turkey products instead of beef...I spend more money on apples and oranges than I do on meat. But Id rather spend it on food then paying my health deductable....
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I saw some lady on TV that used coupons like crazy to grocery shop and was saving a rediculous amount of money.

Somehow when I tried it I ended up spending more! :blushing:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from college & my student loan bills are over $1,200 a month! On top of that, I moved to Canada & the exchange rate adds about another $400+ each month to that bill. So in the past couple months I've been learning some hard realities & cutting back from my swanky student life :grumble: ...I give myself a budget of $200 a month. on the 15th of every month I take out $200 in cash. This cash covers my groceries, entertainment, and dates with my boyfriend. So far it's been working pretty well. I think it's going to do wonders for my diet since I'll only be buying essentials & it's really cutting back on snacking and unecessary meals. So far so good, but it still leaves me more and more bitter about the US government!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Couldn't do it!!
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Yea they are local. It was interesting to see as an experiment, but very unhealthy. They ate a lot of ramen noodles, for one thing! It is awesome if you can get your grocery bill down, but it was a little extreme!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from college & my student loan bills are over $1,200 a month! On top of that, I moved to Canada & the exchange rate adds about another $400+ each month to that bill. So in the past couple months I've been learning some hard realities & cutting back from my swanky student life :grumble: ...I give myself a budget of $200 a month. on the 15th of every month I take out $200 in cash. This cash covers my groceries, entertainment, and dates with my boyfriend. So far it's been working pretty well. I think it's going to do wonders for my diet since I'll only be buying essentials & it's really cutting back on snacking and unecessary meals. So far so good, but it still leaves me more and more bitter about the US government!

just do what my college grad does...show up with your green bag to fill up!!

Actually-I am really proud of you for taking control like that! :flowerforyou: