Weighing food vs "eyeballing it"

Options
This is the first time I've ever weighed my food instead of "eyeballing it" when trying to lose weight and BOY what a difference that makes! Who knows how many calories I was really eating when I thought I was eating 1200 calories per day! For someone who thought that I couldn't ever lose more than a half a pound a week, I'm losing a pound a week easily, if not more: 8lbs in 6 weeks.

Go buy a ~ $15 digital scale. Weigh out foods to the gram. You'll be glad you did.

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Yes, I use a digital scale for some foods, and sometimes there's more food than I expected, and sometimes there's less. I'm fairly good at guessing volume sizes though. It's probably all those years from measuring hair dye LOL.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I totally agree I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth..At first my family laughed at me,but now they are good about it.This is absolutely working for me.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I weight my food. It makes a huge difference.
  • keleraba
    Options
    Food weighing made my life much easier as eyeballing always came with that guilt trip "I know this is not 100 gr, but oh well"...
  • naomiserna
    naomiserna Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'm just starting out so this is helpful. Where do you buy the digital scales from?
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Scales are great for accuracy and to show true portion sizes. I went to target and got a mini old-fashioned dial, compact scale. It was only $5. Thay also have digital ones there that can run anywhere from $20-$50, depending how fancy you want to get!

Measuring cups/spoons are another staple of mine. Peanut butter is not something I trust myself to "eyeball" lol!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's important to be able to measure foods visually since it's not feasible to have a scale every place you consume food. You must Also accept the fact that nutrition labels are not 100% accurate.
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad I saw this- I'm getting a scale tomorrow!
  • trixieSF
    trixieSF Posts: 10
    Options
    @wildon883r : Oh, definitely. I think this is teaching me what "one ounce" of cheese actually looks like.

I got my scale originally for baking, so I didn't pay much for it (not as much as it is here), but this is the model:
    http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-496984/Electronic-Kitchen-Scale

I like that you can put a bowl on it, then zero out the scale, then put your food in. Makes it a no-math operation :smile:
  • jpburcham
    jpburcham Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    this topic confirms what I was already thinking ~ my eyeballs are out of calibration. !
    I'm going back to the scale to "Re-Calibrate"