Sorry, But I have To Do It!

Options

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Semantics. I mean, seriously, would you correct someone if they said tomatoes weigh more than lettuce? Obviously people are talking about volume, aren't they?

Not always. There was a woman on the fitness forum who kept trying to convince everyone that "10lbs of muscle is heavier than 10lbs of fat". LOL Her exact words, I swear!!
  • meliturtlee
    Options
    Thank you. And correct me if I'm wrong, you can't/ dont turn fat into muscle or vice versa . You have fat and muscle tissues organ w.e the terminology is. You either gain or lose one of the masses they do not turn into each other.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Please make this a sticky. Please.
    Yes. PLEEEEEEASE!
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Semantics. I mean, seriously, would you correct someone if they said tomatoes weigh more than lettuce? Obviously people are talking about volume, aren't they?
    Not always. There was a woman on the fitness forum who kept trying to convince everyone that "10lbs of muscle is heavier than 10lbs of fat". LOL Her exact words, I swear!!
    Yes, there was someone that insisted that "1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat but that the pound of muscle was heavier." No joke!
    Just one clarifying question:

The above is why one can gain weight yet lose inches, correct?
    That is correct. Because muscle is more compact than the same weight of fat you can weigh the same yet look slimmer and have your clothes fit looser.
    Thank you. And correct me if I'm wrong, you can't/don't turn fat into muscle or vice versa . You have fat and muscle tissues organ w.e the terminology is. You either gain or lose one of the masses they do not turn into each other.
    You can not turn fat into muscle and muscle can not turn into fat. These are two completely different types of tissue. You can lose fat while building muscle and you can lose muscle while putting on fat but one can not turn into the other.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    so, so, so, so sick of this... a million times it's been discussed.

^this
    x3
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Oh do not get that one lady started again!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, i hope she sees it, she is quality entertainment!!!
  • mark03264
    Options
    ...and it is likely to be discussed a million times more...
  • geraldm55
    geraldm55 Posts: 130
    Options
    this is awesome, I've heard and yes even said it at times without every thinking about it lol.

thank you of giving me a whole new perspective.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your just trying to aggravate that poor woman again.. and the first time it was funny, I must admit.

Now its just sad that you have to keep going.. we get your point, neither is heavier one is just denser then the other.. lets move on.
  • Lacole216
    Options
    thanks great post :drinker:
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    two thumbs up
  • mark03264
    Options
    Sounds to me like your just trying to aggravate that poor woman again.. and the first time it was funny, I must admit.

Now its just sad that you have to keep going.. we get your point, neither is heavier one is just denser then the other.. lets move on.

I'm not trying to aggravate anyone. I'm not that type of person. I actually hope that she never sees it. I’m just trying to put out accurate information because there is far too much blatantly wrong information being posted.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to aggravate anyone. I'm not that type of person. I actually hope that she never sees it. I’m just trying to put out accurate information because there is far too much blatantly wrong information being posted.

yes! bumping to refer to this post when someone starts arguing incorrectly.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Some of you know why I am apologizing but I have to try just for general edification.

There are two statements that people make in the forums that are absolutely WRONG.
    (OK agreed, there more than two but this post only concerns two in particular)
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."
    AND
    "Muscle is heavier than fat."

Both these statements are WRONG.

Let's assume we have 10 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat.

The 10 pounds of muscle weighs exactly the same as the 10 pounds of fat.
    AND
    The 10 pounds of fat weighs exactly the same as the 10 pounds of muscle.

If they weigh exactly the same than one can not be heavier than the other as the word heavier indicates greater weight.

Here are a couple CORRECT statements;
    "Muscle is denser than fat."
    AND
    "Fat is less dense than muscle."

Because muscle is denser than fat and fat is less dense than muscle, these statements are CORRECT;
    "A GIVEN VOLUME of muscle weighs more than THE SAME VOLUME of fat."
    AND
    "A GIVEN VOLUME of muscle is heavier than THE SAME VOLUME of fat."
    AND
    "A GIVEN VOLUME of fat weighs less than THE SAME VOLUME of muscle."
    AND
    "A GIVEN VOLUME of fat is lighter, or less heavy, than THE SAME VOLUME of muscle."

It can also be stated correctly that;
    "A pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat."
    AND
    "A pound of muscle is more compact than a pound of fat."
    AND
    "A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat."
    AND
    "A pound of fat is larger than a pound of muscle."
    AND
    "A pound of fat is less compact than a pound of muscle."
    AND
    "A pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle."

Any questions?

Really... It's that important to you... wtf...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Any questions?

Thanks for that. This question has always fascinated me .Being one of those "simple" people referenced in this thread the answer has always eluded me too. Also as I am dyslexic I can't spell gud neither so bear with me. In simple terms can your clarify something?

In muscle building when ribosome binds mRNA at the first codon chain it continues elongation right? In this stage of protein synthesis certain amino acid complexes get manufactured. They then bind in sequence to the corresponding codon. This creates an assembly site in the mRNA resulting in base pairs with the tRNA anti-codon.

I get THAT. What I don't get is excatly which complexes result from this process and their specific functions. Help a brother out here. It will move my muscle building routine forward no end...
  • mark03264
    Options
    Any questions?

Thanks for that. This question has always fascinated me .Being one of those "simple" people referenced in this thread the answer has always eluded me too. Also as I am dyslexic I can't spell gud neither so bear with me. In simple terms can your clarify something?

In muscle building when ribosome binds mRNA at the first codon chain it continues elongation right? In this stage of protein synthesis certain amino acid complexes get manufactured. They then bind in sequence to the corresponding codon. This creates an assembly site in the mRNA resulting in base pairs with the tRNA anti-codon.

I get THAT. What I don't get is excatly which complexes result from this process and their specific functions. Help a brother out here. It will move my muscle building routine forward no end...

I don't remember calling anyone simple but aside from that the answers to your questions would be far too long to post here.
    Please refer to the following links for more information:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/protein-synthesis.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21603/
    http://web.virginia.edu/Heidi/chapter33/chp33.htm
  • ladysandy
    Options
    Thanks for the interesting info., I just learned something, thanks !!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I don't remember calling anyone simple but aside from that the answers to your questions would be far too long to post here.
    Please refer to the following links for more information:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/protein-synthesis.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21603/
    http://web.virginia.edu/Heidi/chapter33/chp33.htm

Thanks for that but I find it easier when someone explains it to me in simple terms. That's how I learn effectively.

A brief summary will do as you seem to know what's what. After all you could have simply linked to a page where the whole "does muscle weigh more than fat" conundrum was addressed but you took the time to break it down so well....
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    This post is so ridiculous.

MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. That is a fact. Just like bricks weigh more than feathers.

No one ever said a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. However, just like 1 square foot of bricks weighs more than one square foot of feathers, one square inch of muscle weighs more than one square inch of fat.

If someone asks you to carry one square foot of bricks or one square foot of feaths, you will of course carry the feathers because THE BRICKS WEIGH MORE, even though a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers weigh ... ONE POUND.

If however, someone asks you to carry ten pounds of feathers or ten pounds of bricks, you will of course carry the bricks. Why? Because they will be more compact and easier to handle.

Likewise, if I am 130 pounds of muscle, I will be nice and compact. If I am 130 pounds of fat, I will be lumpy...