Why I Said NO to Brand New Running Shoes

Options
I have never been a runner, but after I got back from a run today I shared my new found love with my mother. "Maybe you'd like a new pair of running shoes" she asked, "We could get you a pair." I thought about it for a moment, as it was a very nice gesture on my mom's part and my tai chi shoes are beyond weathered, but instead I declined.

As I told a woman who confronted me and my mother this morning on the local rail trail while walking barefoot, I love it and I wouldn't give it up for the world. Walking barefoot makes me feel really connected to my environment, and it helps develop a nimbleness. Shoes stifle my connection with the earth. In addition, I feel that being barefoot causes you to strengthen your eye power, as you are forced to be more aware of where you are walking. Besides the benefits, the number one reason I love being barefoot is that it brings sensuality into your life with every step and it causes you to absorb and become ultra aware and involved in nature and the pure world around us.

...and that why I said no to new running shoes.

Replies

• rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love to be barefoot also. Don't know if I could run like that though. I read about these shoes called Vibram five fingers they are supposed to be much like being barefoot. You should check them out.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Except down here you would think twice with all the thorn bushes and sharp pebbles. I sliced my foot once walking barefoot down a trail with a rock. I envy your connection wish it was that simple here.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I love barefoot but being stabbed with thorns and rocks hurts like hell. That's why I run with Vibrams. Just about the same thing but I don't have to worry as much about where I run.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd love to run barefoot on the streets of Brooklyn, but I'd probably be terminally ill shortly after. :laugh:
  • MuchMovement
    Options
    Honestly, I think I havea bit of a sadistic side. There are mad prickers here also. I'm always coming home all beat and tore up from my journeys, but I love it! I tell my friends I really don't mind getting hurt having a good time...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I can barely walk outside barefoot because I have such tender feet. The rough ground and rocks and pebbles and other stuff on the ground is not a friend to my poor feet. I'm glad you enjoy running barefoot though. :flowerforyou:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    WOW! I got a mental image of myself coming back from a run with bloody feet. Sounds awesome but I couldn't do it!