metallic smelling sweat?

Options
When I sweat during a workout or work I smell a metallic scent, does anyone know what causes that?

Replies

• lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Could it be an ammonia smell? If so, sounds like you need to eat more. Seriously.
  • MuchMovement
    Options
    are you drinking enough water?
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    are you a cyborg? :)
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I take vitamins, I notice that smell. I wonder if it has something to do with the iron in the supplements?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    are you a cyborg? :)

This is an excellent question.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    are you a cyborb? :)

ahahaha! if she were would she be your dream girl? or are you not THAT much of a tech geek?

Seriously, I believe it means you are going into ketosis--your body is attacking it's own fat stores--not a terrible thing depending on how much fat you have stored.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Most antiperspirants have aluminum in them as well so it could be a reaction to the metal in the deodorant, they do make them without but you have to look for them (they're usually all natural, organic etc types) :D
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    This is so weird! I've been hearing Mettalica during my workouts!?!?
  • BV1980
    BV1980 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    ahahaha! if she were would she be your dream girl? or are you not THAT much of a tech geek?

hahaha no comment.... Well besides this comment declaring no comment. :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    That is weird but after my work out I smell a metallic almost bleach like smell and I can't ever figure it out. No one else smells it.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Could it be an ammonia smell? If so, sounds like you need to eat more. Seriously.

That's an interesting comment. Sometimes my sweat tends to have a really strong ammonia-type smell. However, that used to be true back when I was eating my fool head off, and is still sometimes true today, when I'm not. I used to think it was correlated to the kind of activity that produced the sweat -- it seemed to me that it happened more frequently with "working" sweat (summer lawn-mowing, for instance) than with "workout" sweat (the sort I soak my T-shirt with at the Y). As time goes on, though, I'm increasingly doubtful that the correlation is real.

I'm curious, though -- why would an ammonia smell mean there's a need to eat more?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I just found this but not sure what they people are saying exactly.

http://blog.fitnesstown.ca/2008/10/30/ammonia-smell-after-exercising/
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just asked my doctor the same thing. I small ammonia, especially in the shower after working out on an empty stomach, but sometimes without serious exercise.

I did some internet research, but haven't found a definitive explanation.

My doctor is not sure, but he is doing some research. I'll post again if he comes up with any good explanation.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

Yes--this is what I said--your body goes into ketosis. It has used up all the glucose in your blood and attacks your fat stores. I've heard other people say they get a mettalic taste in their mouth (others describe it as tasting like blood b/c of the copper) in addition to the ammonia and mettalic smells.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Yes--this is what I said--your body goes into ketosis. It has used up all the glucose in your blood and attacks your fat stores. I've heard other people say they get a mettalic taste in their mouth (others describe it as tasting like blood b/c of the copper) in addition to the ammonia and mettalic smells.

so you want it to attack your fat stores right?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

It's not a terrible thing provided it doesn't happen too early in your workout and doesn't leave you feeling weak/shaky. Also, the article says make sure to replenish by drinking/eating something after the workout.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

hahaha no comment.... Well besides this comment declaring no comment. :)

I'd be okay with a cyborg lady. They can fix cars right?
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i eat fine. it's not that. It's always happened.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

It's not a terrible thing provided it doesn't happen too early in your workout and doesn't leave you feeling weak/shaky. Also, the article says make sure to replenish by drinking/eating something after the workout.

Yeah I don't smell it til I'm done working out. Like when I get home and get in the shower.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Ammonia sweat is from the breaking down of protein and muscle fibers to fuel the body for quick burning energy... It's not a good thing. Means you should eat more carbs.