Birth Control and Weight...

Options
Hey! I just started oral contraceptives and ever since I started them, my appetite hasn't been so big. Number one, this is AWESOME; number two, I expected the OPPOSITE. Does anyone else notice a difference on their birth control?

Replies

• fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    i never noticed an appetite change but i did notice a 10 pound weight gain
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I was on the shot i had that same thing happen! but now on mirena not so much sadly.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I have been on and off of birth control pills for about 15 years. I have never noticed a difference in my appetite.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I was scared to take it. My weight was stuck anyway, so thought it wouldnt matter much at the time, strangely 10lb has fallen off since. I always thought it was supposed to be the other way round.
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was on the shot, and my weight went up even though my appetite went down. Same thing with oral contraceptives for me. Though, I know a lot of girls that it didn't effect them, and I know some girls who lost weight, especially on the shot.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a change in my appetite. I've been on this birth control pill for awhile. My sister claims that the pill she was on made her eat a lot. I think she just couldn't say no because she's not on it now and still eats the same. Lol!
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    birth control has different effects from person to person.. some people gain, some people lose, some people stay the same.
  • timeforme23
    Options
    I hear its different between people, but it didnt effect me at all.
  • todo_en_todo
    todo_en_todo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice decrease in appetite, however, I did have a LARGE weight gain after I was on birth control for a few months as hormones were changing. Be careful. It sneaks up on you.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Some birth control pills mimic pregnancy as in make you gain weight...oh, you might not notice the appitite change, but it can happen. I had some that made me nausious (morning sickness??) I gained a huge amount of weight on Mirena! But, that was just me. I prefer being off that crap. I seem to only get pregnant once every 4 years lol! Coming up on that four year mark....my youngest turns 4 in October.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I first started the shot I gained some weight because of a change in my appitite. But since I started logging, I am able to control the appitite increase and I have 40 pounds while on it. I think it differs per person though.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence linking BC pills (the shot is different) with weight gain, here is a link to a recent article outlining how that health myth came to be. I found it to be an interesting read, and a reason not to be afraid of the pill!

http://www.slate.com/id/2301723
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ^ Yeah. Most women just gain weight on the pill because it coincides with the beginning of a more serious relationship. And what do couples do together? Eat. A lot. At restaurants and at home. We ladies end up eating the same kinds of foods that our guys do... and the same portions. I sure did.

That being said, starting a new kind of birth control makes me nauseated for weeks on end. No appetite at all.
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    I been using oral contraceptive for long time, except when I was nursing my son, and never had problems with gain of weight.
    and when i started them I lost 5 lb :) among of other benefits like enjoying sex and not worrying about babies :)
  • saadler
    saadler Posts: 116
    Options
    When I first started mine my appetite was enormous but I didn't actually gain any weight.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I've been on 4 types in 2 years, all affecting me differently (some caused blood clots, some water retention, different types/brands have had lots of effects on me) I've been on my current type twice (I came off the first time because $$) but both times i've went on it the first few months I noticed SIGNIFICANT decrease in appetite. I don't complain because who wants to have the urge to much all day long?

♥ mine now and will pay the extra money for something that works perfectly for me.