Help me map out chow at the ****ens Fair!

Options
Hey guys. Anybody want to help me lay out some good food at the D!ckens Christmas Fair? I don't want a complete and utter calorie explosion (though I'm not expecting a health spa).

Here is the menu:

http://www.d!ckensfair.com/food-drink.htm

Ideally, I suppose I'd like one mealish entity and a sweet treat. I know I won't be rolling in uneaten calories, but I'm hoping for something reasonable.

So, any suggestions from this menu? I was thinking maybe a chicken pita, or roast beef.

EDIT: ACK! It's censoring me! Replace the ! with i to access the URL.

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Anybody want to help me lay out some good food at the D!ckens Christmas Fair? I don't want a complete and utter calorie explosion (though I'm not expecting a health spa).

Here is the menu:

http://www.d!ckensfair.com/food-drink.htm

Ideally, I suppose I'd like one mealish entity and a sweet treat. I know I won't be rolling in uneaten calories, but I'm hoping for something reasonable.

So, any suggestions from this menu? I was thinking maybe a chicken pita, or roast beef.

EDIT: ACK! It's censoring me! Replace the ! with i to access the URL.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Okay, Phoen!x, you know I have to change your name, now.

I think you should have THIS:
    ~~~~
    Roast Beef Inn (Jim Turner) Roast beef, pasties, crepes, Caesar salad, Yorkshire pudding, bread pudding, and cappuccinos.
    ~~~~

I swear I copy/pasted it from the menu :laugh: All that pudding, crepes and "PASTIES" will be good with the cappuccino.
    Watch out for the little twirly tassles, though. They get stuck in your teeth.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Okay, Phoen!x, you know I have to change your name, now.

I think you should have THIS:
    ~~~~
    Roast Beef Inn (Jim Turner) Roast beef, pasties, crepes, Caesar salad, Yorkshire pudding, bread pudding, and cappuccinos.
    ~~~~

I swear I copy/pasted it from the menu :laugh: All that pudding, crepes and "PASTIES" will be good with the cappuccino.
    Watch out for the little twirly tassles, though. They get stuck in your teeth.

Why sheesh Phonen!x sounds like she's got you covered with a pretty nice sounding meal...and fortunately was sharp and caught the fact that we need to be censoring your name from here on!:laugh: :drinker: :noway: :wink: :tongue: Good one Cheryl!! Good one!:wink::drinker:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ah I'd have to have the Indian food...no idea on calories but I LOVE Indian food...there is a place on the list that offers a Greek salad that could be fairly low cal...if I really wanted to watch my calories I'd probably have that but ask about the specific toppings...light on the feta cheese, dressing on the side, etc.
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Actually, the day was rather strange and unexpected. I planned to have roast beef, but the line for that was craaaaazy. Second, I wound up wearing a corset, which always kills my appetite, since you feel full much more quickly. So I had a chicken pita, which was so delicious. Then I had a cup of turkish coffee--coffee mixed with honey and rose water and a little bit of half n half.

I get back to my dorm, take the corset off, and think "D@mn, I'm starving!" Luckily it was time for my afternoon snack!

Though I'm not particularly concerned, I calculated it out as best I could and came up with around 530 calories. Does this seem fairly accurate?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Corset.....hm. An appetite-control I had not thought of........See, Phoen!x, everyone wanted the pasties - er pastries. :tongue:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Corset.....hm. An appetite-control I had not thought of........See, Phoen!x, everyone wanted the pasties - er pastries. :tongue:

It actually is pasties. Short a sound, like in apple. It's a meat, potatoes, onions, sometimes rutabegas, all chopped and mixed together (although I have had some delish vegetarian pasties with the above veggies plus broccoli, more seasonings so much more yummy), wrapped and baked in a dough crust. You can eat them with your hands in a to go kind of way, although we usually eat ours around the table with forks and knives, lol.

I live in Michigan's upper peninsula, and they are a staple here! Common to have them with gravy (although I wouldn't recommend eating with your hands in that case), slathering them with butter, or drowning them in ketchup. I prefer mine plain, or with a touch of ketchup sometimes if they are dry. Then again, I'm not a big gravy fan.

Here's what they look like
    cooked-pasties.jpg
    pasty-cut-open.jpg

http://www.upper-peninsula-now.com/pasty-recipe.html Tells all about how to make them.... lol More than you ever needed to know, isn't it?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Things that look good to me are:

Kebabs (Indian food)

Chicken Pita, Moussaka, Greek Salad (w/ dressing on side) (Green... Acropolis)

Tadich's Fine Foods may have some typical baked or grilled chicken w/veggies.

Maybe treat yourself to a couple chestnuts :)
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nevermind... just saw you already went there! I'd say you made good choices :)
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    The corset thing is true! If you eat too much, it feels a lot tighter, and if you already have it pretty tight...:noway:

You know, for those who have a problem of overeating and not registering fullness, a corset might be a good investment. The fullness comes from your belly pushing against the corset, not your brain, so you feel it more quickly too. And everyone looks hotter in a corset--it's an instant self-esteem booster.

Moohahaha, I shall patent this idea, write a book, and rake in the royalties. Of course the cover will feature moi in an uber-hot corset. Hmm, for a title, I'll go with "Suck It Up and Take it Like a Woman!"

That chicken pita was marvelous. It came with Tzatziki sauce, which I had no idea what was in it (beyond yogurt and cukes), so I just told them to go really light on it. They actually listened, which is an uncommon thing at these fairs. It was nice! Back on MFP, I was happy to see that I made a pretty wise choice in going light on it. I got the flavor, but not nearly as many calories as they could have slathered on.

I had to guess on the Turkish coffee, though the woman said they used honey and rosewater to flavor it, and put in some half-n-half. The one thing I'll say about half-n-half, you don't need much of it to get a ton of flavor. Since the coffee taste was still strong and the coloring pretty dark,I don't think she could've put more than two tablespoons in it.