Do you blow it on the weekends?

Options
I didn't do very well today. I always blow it on the weekends. My husband and I have date night on Saturdays, so yesterday I blew it by eating out and going to the movies.
then today, our kids were gone so we went out to eat at a Mexican place. I only had a taco salad and some chips and salsa, but then tonight, we got pizza hut.

It's so hard for me on weekends. All I did as far as exercise was some stretches. It's so hard to watch my weight when I have a husband and two teens wanting to eat all the time. :sad:

Any suggestions?

Replies

• fas815
    fas815 Posts: 31
    Options
    Girl plz...why do u think my weigh in day is friday morning???
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    I usually don't but this weekend was horrible! Birthday party, etc. Ugh... Oh well, start fresh tomorrow!
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    No suggestions here due to the fact I am in the same boat as you! It seems i can keep Good meal plans at the beginning of the week and throughout the week but come Friday-Sunday all my hard work goes out the door! :( my boyfriend also can eat anything and everything without gaining a pound which makes it very hard to make healthy meals. It's also very frustration watching him eat all the junk food I want to be eating but know the damage it will cause later! one of my biggest issues is drinking on the weekends :/ any advice here would be great as well!
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I still go out to movies and dinner and I must say it is hard. I do not eat anything like bread or chips (Mexican) and I order everything grilled. We went for Mexican on Friday and I had chicken fajitas with peppers, a sprinkle of cheese, half the beans and one tortilla. When I go to the movies I bring my own popcorn from home. I have been to two birthday parties in the past 2 weekends and I have not eaten one sugary/fatty thing. During the week I do allow myself a treat here or there but I make sure it fits in my calorie allotment. I guess my advice is you have to try your hardest to summon all your willpower and think what will make you happier...food or being able to fit in smaller clothes? I have not seen 190lbs since 1995 and I am tired of being big.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Girl plz...why do u think my weigh in day is friday morning???

lol! totally. moved mine from friday to saturday, lately considering monday mornings ;-)
  • misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    saw this on another post and it is my new motto!

"one bad food/exercise day doesn't ruin 6 good days just like one good food/exercise day doesn't make 6 bad days better"

life happens and we just have to deal and move on. just start fresh tomorrow sweetie!
  • Kelnurse
    Kelnurse Posts: 145
    Options
    Yep...always blow it on the weekends ;-)
  • mislmar
    mislmar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know it is hard on the weekends. Me and my husband love Mexican food too but if we go there and usually we do on Saturday's we always split a lunch size fajita and only eat one tortilla shell and just a few chips. When you look at it you don't think it is enough food but we are both always really full and satisfied. We have been limiting our eating out to once a week too and that helps us stay on track. Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It's hard but just try to resist or make another choice in eating like you did the salad. I know what you mean, my fiance eats whatever he wants and has such a high metabolism it doesn't phase him. He can literally scarf down his food and mine and probably go for 2nd's or 3rd's depending on what we're eating. It completely makes me angry but I've just been trying to say no or make another choice when we go out. You can also try and get them to make better choices too, but I don't know how well that will go over.
  • Vickieblueeyes
    Vickieblueeyes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have my moments of weakness too. Unfortunately you need to put your foot down when it comes to your kids and husband. They need to understand that your trying to live a healthier life to bennefit ALL of your familys future. If this is hard then make a special night once a month and have a cheat meal. I know its hard, I have been there. There comes a Time when you realize that this is what YOU need to do for YOURSELF. You deserve to be healthy and have the body you want. It comes down to you and the decisions you make. I hope I could help you some. Just hang in there and dont give up.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for me on weekends. All I did as far as exercise was some stretches. It's so hard to watch my weight when I have a husband and two teens wanting to eat all the time. :sad:

Any suggestions?

It is hard, but you can be a great role model for all of them if you make a point of trying to stick to the "plan" even while eating out. My husband loves to eat out and it's really hard to keep on track when eating out--the bread with olive oil to dip it in before the main dish, large portions, a cocktail or wine, etc. I have flat out told my husband that I don't enjoy eating out for these reasons, and now we eat out less (saves money) and when we do, if I know in advance, I save my calories and exercise to get some extra calories. I also set aside on my plate the portion that I plan to eat, and try very hard to stick to it.

Maybe the location or timing of date night needs to be renegotiated to give you more options. For example, a restaurant with tapas so you can have a drink/wine and graze on a couple of small items gives as much chatting time as a full meal but probably fewer calories. Movie night doesn't have to include a snack.

Bottom line, you will need to make a point of putting your own needs before those of your family if you want to be successful, and if your family wants to support you, they should be willing to make some changes as well. Easier said than done at times, but when my family knows I'm serious about losing weight, they understand why there aren't as many snack items around, etc.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ah we all have our off days! It's very hard to keep on track when your friends and family want to eat out! I always try to opt for grilled items and limit eating the sides that aren't too healthy (mashed potatoes, chips, etc). Anyways, my biggest flaw is I'm a very big wine drinker... even bigger now that I have started dating a wine making student and have lots of wine student friends in my life. I try to just drink on the weekends and work my hardest during the week. I've read some pretty inspirational stories from people who only diet during the week and do whatever on the weekend... I don't go that far, but I think it goes to show that moderation is set in your mindset... I can't eat as much as I used to anyways! Just keep as focused as you can when you can and maybe talk to your husband about giving you a little more support (like not suggesting pizza! haha). Use what you know about nutrition and your progress to make smart choices when eating out, but don't be too hard on yourself after a slip up.
  • stephrivas84
    stephrivas84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some of the tips i try is drinking alot of water while eating, and eating slowly, filling up on veggys first, kids meals are usually great for portion control or sharing with someone.
  • csvan
    csvan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i really understand u its just me and my husband all week but he can eat what he wants. and then the grandkids come in for the weekend and i blow it every time. and how do u work out when your husband and kids are here. and they have to have ice cream amd sweets and lets not forget the chips and dip. i really try to be good. lost 27lbs in 15 weeks but put one back on this last week. so now i have to find will power again, and find a way that i wont blow it over weekends.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I agree with having to summon the will power to say no to these extra treats. I ate a lot yesterday but made a point of entering it all in, from there I could see that my intake for the day could have been acceptable had I resisted a snack of bread in the afternoon and not eaten any chips at dinner (the dinner served turned out to be waaay more food than I was expecting, fried potato, just say no). So, rather than feeling down about the surplus 1000 calories yesterday, I'm going to make a point of not eating bread and chips next weekend :-).

Also, had a thought about this goal of calorie deficit, I'm currently calculating it on a day by day basis, so, if I have surplus calories of 1000, that seems like an insurmountable amount to work of through exercise before bed so I don't bother. However, if I was looking at my intake over a larger timeframe, say, a week, I could burn off yesterday's calories over the course of the week, if I earn myself 200 credit each day for the next 5 days (ie by exercising but not eating my exercise calories) then I should still have a deficit by the end of the week. Does this make sense? Does anyone else do it this way?
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The only way to avoid this is to plan your food and exercise for the weekend. It doesn't have to be stringent diet food and mega workouts, you just need to plan out something that works with your life style. Pick out the restaurant for date night ahead of time and know what you are going to order and stick to it. Go to the movies but don't eat anything there. Block out a time for a walk and get family members to go with. This is a great way to have quality time together. Eat at or near maintenance on the weekends, but don't eat anything you haven't planned ahead of time. This will be good training for when you lose the weight you want. The reality is that you cannot go back to eating like you used to or you will gradually gain the weight back.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options

*snickers* As for me, I mostly blow it on special occasions, like holidays and birthdays. :wink:
  • sthem5
    sthem5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    this is what has helped me the most in my journey so far and it was reading the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst. This lady has been where I've been and has some awesome strategies on dealing with our struggles. We are all made to crave, but it is not food, power, alcohol, etc. Read the book!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS :) It' s hard, but you just have to keep on moving along to reach that next milestone!

Can you imagine eating Mexican food every day! That's me,..I'm the one chica trying to lose weight in a house that must have tortillas, tortillas and more tortillas everyday! If it's not that it's tostadas! :O
  • inn0c3ntbbygrlx3
    Options
    hahahahaahaha lol you crack me up!!!