Working at a desk all day, what to do....

Options
Hey guys,

Does anyone have ideas for those of us who are stuck behind a desk for 8 hours a day and what to do whatever they can to burn a few extra calories? I listen to music at work so I just tend to bounce my feet to the music ALL day, I know it won't be the same as a workout but I feel though something is better than nothing. I'm obviously going to the gym but it just seems like a big waste of opportunity to not do anything for 8 hours.

When the wet weather clears up I'll start doing my 15-25 minute walks after lunch but has anyone else got any ideas to help us desk-sitters?

Cheers,

Brian

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I do mine after work. I get home grab my 1 year old in the stroller and go run/walk/jog/bike whatever it takes.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I do mine after work at the gym - nothing during the day, except making sure I eat enough.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    if you can, try to schedule an early morning workout a few times a week...and/or the same for a few evenings. also, get up at lot at work...go deliver something to a coworker instead of interoffice mailing...walk to their desk instead of calling, use the stairs instead of elevator, etc...

and yes a 1/2 brisk walk on most days would be ideal.

good luck!
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    They actually make a device that looks like bike pedals for under a desk so you can "bike" for as long as you want..you look funny sometimes but it burns some calories. I walk on my breaks and lunch too so I'm getting some movement.
  • rhiannonchallans
    Options
    I've started bringing a resistance band to work (which I've just realised I left at home today, bugger) and working on arms, when I remember :)

I'm also curious as to other things I could do at my desk.
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use to be behind a desk as assistant project manager for up to 16 hours. On those long, looooooooong days, I would place my stress ball between my knees and squeeze it in little pulses. Great inner thigh workout. Also, when no one was looking, which was 80% of the time, I would crunch my abs while sitting.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If you can, opt to sit on a big exercise ball instead of a chair! It burns up to 100 extra calories per shift with no effort at all! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Work out before of after work.
  • danasnacks
    Options
    Same with my wife and I, we both sit at the desk all day. We changed our eating habbits and go to the gym 5 days a week. We dont get home till after 8pm and get up at 430 to commute but its better than where we were (40-50lbs over weight)
  • grimthegrim
    grimthegrim Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are in a multistory building you could walk the stairs for 15 minutes during your breaks and at lunch
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow. All those replies in such a short time, thanks guys!

I only have 5 kilos to lose but it's mainly the gut that I'm trying to get rid of. I have been in a constant state of sucking my stomach in for the last... forever, that it feels weird to relax my stomach.

I've only had a quick scan of the forums but I think seeing everyone's dedication and motivating words will be the push I needed to stop making excuses and just do it already.

At work I will continue my foot bouncing because the music won't allow me to stop but I will just have to make sure I eat better and fit in my exercise after work.

Good luck everyone and thanks for the replies.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - but as a single mom I can't hit the gym before/after work. I walk around the building on breaks and lunch (I eat at my desk when I can). I also volunteer to do any walking (delivering reports, signing in the xerox guy, whatever) and take the stairs whenever I get the chance.

I want to get a set of weighted balls to keep at my desk, as well as resistance bands. but I'm doing baby steps!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I concur.

You could also play hide and seek with yourself under the desk...ya know...away from prying eyes.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You could also curl reams of paper. I understand that works well for some people.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am a desk worker also and even though I workout after work I devised a little game I play. I work on the third floor, if I have to go to the bathroom I use the the bathroom three floors down in the lobby, I take the stairs down..if I'm the only one in the bathroom I can't leave until I do 20 jumping jacks, 20 inclined push ups agaonst the counter, and 20 squats...then I run up all three flights of stairs as fast as I can. I try to drink at least 6, 20 ounce bottles of water while I'm at work (which keeps me going to the bathroom,lol) but when I need to refill my water bottle I go up one floor doing lunges up the stairs then take the long way around to the water fountain and back down the stairs as fast as I can.

This way I easily get at least 60 to 100 of these excercises in a day, keeps my metabolism burning, and gives me little bursts of energy throughout the day....and I also provide humor for a few co workers who have walked in on me doing jumping jacks...lol
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm at a new place where I'm on the ground floor but after posting this I ran up to the 7 floor, back down again then did 2.2kms walk in 20 minutes outside. No reason I can't do that daily.

I used to run up the stairwell at my old job and at the top, nobody was there as it was for the roof access. I'd do lateral pushups, squats, etc... and only got caught a couple times. And the guy who caught me said, "Oh, you're one of those people..." Yeah, I give a s@#t about my health, sue me.

And HA at the Google link! I have done that several times but wanted to get other peoples opinions to see if there were any fresh ideas.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    our printer is on the other side of the building. the more i work the more exercise i get.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am a desk worker also and even though I workout after work I devised a little game I play. I work on the third floor, if I have to go to the bathroom I use the the bathroom three floors down in the lobby, I take the stairs down..if I'm the only one in the bathroom I can't leave until I do 20 jumping jacks, 20 inclined push ups agaonst the counter, and 20 squats...then I run up all three flights of stairs as fast as I can. I try to drink at least 6, 20 ounce bottles of water while I'm at work (which keeps me going to the bathroom,lol) but when I need to refill my water bottle I go up one floor doing lunges up the stairs then take the long way around to the water fountain and back down the stairs as fast as I can.

This way I easily get at least 60 to 100 of these excercises in a day, keeps my metabolism burning, and gives me little bursts of energy throughout the day....and I also provide humor for a few co workers who have walked in on me doing jumping jacks...lol

dayum!