exercising 3-5 day question

Options
so a few people told me that i cant exercise more than 3-5 days a week or else i will just maintain my weight instead of lose. i understand the muscle gain risk but other than that i dont see how that would make sense. i hear that rest and muscle memory has to do with it. so my question is if its true and what counts as "exercising"? does that mean i cant burn 100-150 cals at home? that could be just my activity level... and within the 3-5 days, does it mean i cant go work out twice those days..? im confused

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I work out every day that I can 6-7 days a week.
    I work my legs constantly. Ideally you would work different muscle groups to give them a rest to heal from micro tears and such.

In the end, do what works for you. Don't hold back because of what someone told you.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 days a week. Anything less and I just maintain, I don't lose. I think that it's so individual you need to figure out what works best for your body. And switching it up helps. To clarify, I lift weights 2-3 days a week. I swim the other 3-4 days a week.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I work out every day that I can 6-7 days a week.
    I work my legs constantly. Ideally you would work different muscle groups to give them a rest to heal from micro tears and such.

In the end, do what works for you. Don't hold back because of what someone told you.

Ditto!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can exercise 6 or 7 days a week as long as you keep things rotating. Let some muscles be in recovery/healing/rest while you're working on others. Having a rest day once a week is not a bad idea. Or taking a few days off every few months, just to give your body a little break.
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i work out 6-7 days a week, doing weight training/cardio on mon/wed/fri and straight cardio tues./thur/sat....i normally take sun. off to rest everything....i have been doing weights for about ten weeks and have plateaued in my weight loss....i have gained some muscle weight (a few lbs) and im having to work much harder to lose, but you have to find a system that works for you...make sure that your diet is maintained well and that you are taking in enough calories....make sure that if you do weights that you eat enough protein.....
  • Chubby_bunnyy
    Chubby_bunnyy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ohhh. i mainly do cardio or slight resistance cardio, everything that works my legs...i just add in things to that but always work my legs...bad idea to lose then? i dont want the muscle to build...so i dont need to rest then?
  • LaLaVasquez
    Options
    My fitness trainer told me that I can exercise twice a day if I want to which I am doing now, the difference is you shouldn't be exercising more than 45 minutes the first session, I do 45 min in the morning and than comeback for another 45 in evening.
    Also pay attention that your exercises are different, for example mon-fri in the morning I have a program for gaining energy & in the afternoon (doesn't have to be every day) I do cardio. And also do really hard in those 45 minutes, it makes a difference if u do it cassual 2-3 h or 45 really hard. And sundays I take a rest although I became so addicted I'm dying to go on Sundays.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Gym Schedule: changes monthly

Chest, abs, run 30
    Run 45 min
    Legs, Back, abs, run 30
    Run 45
    Bicepts, Tricepts, abs run 30
    Yoga
    Stretch

7 day schedule

Started 7 weeks ago. Lost 13.5 lbs fat and gained 1.5 muscle. Abs are comming in. :)