Almond Milk

Options
Hi everyone,

So, I see everyone talking about and drinking/using almond milk. I don't usually drink milk, but when I do or use it in something it's skim or 1% (my compromise with the boy who likes 2%).

Anyway, what are some of the benefits of the almond milk? Also, are there things you specifically recommend using it in? I bought a little thing of vanilla almond milk to try it out. So please, recommend away what healthy things I can do with it.

Thanks!

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump ;)
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    bump! I would love to know as well!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I find almond milk to thick for me to drink straight so I would use it in my cereal or with granola. I would use it as a creamer in my coffee. Now I use light Silk Soy Milk becuse its only 60 cal a cup. I'd think that the attraction of Almond milk and soy milk would be that their animal product free so no cholesterol, and lactose free for the lactose intolerant people. Both have the same amount of calcium as regular milk.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use it for my protein shakes, I do herbalife. I really can't tell the difference in flavor. I like the vanilla and chocolate, especially when I need a chocolate fix. It's only 90 calories for a 8oz serving.
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Almond milk (I drink the 40cal one) can be a replacement for all milk uses including cooking. Except I've read here that it doesn't do well in baking things that need to rise (cakes and such).
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Smoothie

Silk Pure Almond Original Almondmilk - Almond Milk, 1 cup
    Body Fortress™ - Super Advance Whey Protein Powder Chocolate 52g, 1 scoop
    Peanut butter 1 tbs
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup
    Chiquita Banana - Banana, 1 (126g)
    Generic - Strawberries Frozen 1/2 Cup, 200 g

Don't be scared by the spinach. You don't taste it. :) Loved the almond milk in this recipe though.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Forgot to add 1 cup of water.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is bad, almond milk is good, until they decide almond milk is bad, then what do we put on our cereal. Oh, maybe real milk. I like the chocolate almond milk for my protein shakes.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's nutty!
  • Jemmuno
    Options
    Soy milk is bad, almond milk is good, until they decide almond milk is bad, then what do we put on our cereal. Oh, maybe real milk. I like the chocolate almond milk for my protein shakes.

since when is soy milk bad?
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i love, love almond milk. i use the plain unsweetened on things like cereal (i have used it in some baking and it seems to do fine for me), fruit smoothies and i sometimes drink it straight. i also get the dark chocolate almond for drinking.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

It stole the stereo out of my truck. And got the neighbor's daughter pregnant. Bad, bad, soy milk.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    oh and i've also made 'ice cream' with almond milk. i've used both the plain (just add a bit of whatever flavoring you want and a spoon or two of sweetener) and the chocolate at different times with great results.
  • Jemmuno
    Options

It stole the stereo out of my truck. And got the neighbor's daughter pregnant. Bad, bad, soy milk.

Ahhh of course, I should have known!