21 days and no weight loss!!!

Options
Hiya! I hope someone can tell me where I'm going wrong! I've been doing this for 21 days now, eating under my 1570 calorie limit (but not by much sometimes) and doing about 20-25 mins of cross trainer each evening. I'm 5'4 and 212lbs.....that hasn't really changed in the last 21 days and it's really getting me down now. I can see my legs, bum and arms are smaller and my waist is getting slimmer too but what is happening with the scales?? It's really starting to annoy me. Every other time I have started on a diet I will lose about 4lbs in first week and then at least 2lbs subsequent weeks!
The last couple of days I have started eating about 1200 - 1300 a day but is that a good idea when I'm using about 350-375 calories on cross trainer...will I be putting my body into starvation mode and making matters worse??
I would soooo appreciate some advice!!! :)

Thanks

Replies

• BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? Arms, thighs, mid-section, hips, chest, and neck?
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have measured my chest, waist and hips, but I only did that last week. I guess I'll have to wait another few weeks to see any benefit from that. I wish I'd done it all at the start, including my arms and thighs....!!
  • awiggins1090
    Options
    If you can see yourself getting smaller and you notice the difference then your probably losing fat and adding muscle which won't show a difference on the scale. Like the previous message suggests measure yourself. If you do that you can truly see improvement regardless of the scale. Just keep going! You will eventually see it on the scale :)
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    Do your pants and bras fit a little loose now?
  • AH2013
    Options
    Thanks very much guys! I'll ditch the scales for a bit I think and see how the measurements look in a few weeks! :smile:
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much guys! I'll ditch the scales for a bit I think and see how the measurements look in a few weeks! :smile:

I get on the scale on mondays and fridays. I take measurements on Mondays. Yes I see changes in my measurements every single week. Even if it is just 1/2 inch here and there. I want to see my scale number go lower....but am more thrilled with losing 1/2 inch! That is toning up and getting in shape. The scale is just a number
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You could get some weight training in and increase the cardio a little longer.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Hiya! I hope someone can tell me where I'm going wrong! I've been doing this for 21 days now, eating under my 1570 calorie limit (but not by much sometimes) and doing about 20-25 mins of cross trainer each evening. I'm 5'4 and 212lbs.....that hasn't really changed in the last 21 days and it's really getting me down now. I can see my legs, bum and arms are smaller and my waist is getting slimmer too but what is happening with the scales?? It's really starting to annoy me. Every other time I have started on a diet I will lose about 4lbs in first week and then at least 2lbs subsequent weeks!
    The last couple of days I have started eating about 1200 - 1300 a day but is that a good idea when I'm using about 350-375 calories on cross trainer...will I be putting my body into starvation mode and making matters worse??
    I would soooo appreciate some advice!!! :)

Thanks

The scales can't say it all. Don't depend everything on the weighing scales because it only measures your overall weight but it cannot tell the difference between fat and lean body mass weight. You mentioned that you see your legs, bum, arms and waist getting smaller so you're on the right track. It only means you gain more muscles in your body which is good because it means faster metabolism.
  • AH2013
    Options
    I get that, seeing the measurements is more satisfying than the scale weight. I guess it's just about changing your outlook. I might start weight training again, I used to do it but stopped when my trainer left the country.

I've changed my daily calorie limit to 1200 and am going to aim to do more weights aswell as cardio and measure rather than weigh!

Thanks for all your advice, that's really helped!
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I am no expert but I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I have only lost 2lbs since June and I eat around 1600 calories a day. I have accepted the fact that I now have to be patient and make sure that I maintain my weight loss having already lost 50lbs over the last 3 years. The important thing is you are not putting weight on and as the other guys mentioned the tape measure is a better guage of success than the scales.
    I find it helps to remember that you need to burn approx 3,500 calories in order to lose 1lb in weight...this works the other way too if you eat 3,500 calories over your allowance...you will put 1lb back on!
    Hope that helps...just keep going as you are and keep up the exercise....the weight WILL come off.