What have I done to my daughter?

Options
85 days ago my 16 year old daughter and I joined MFP! It's been great and we are both almost to goal weight. In an effort to cut calories and fat, we switched to almond milk, and cut WAY down on cheese and other dairy products. It's been very easy, and as we get closer to maintenance, we were planning on slowly adding some dairy back in. (with the extra calories we will have available in maintenance.) We are getting so close to goal weight we are now allowing ourselves some ice cream in the evening. Never over 1/2 cup. THE PROBLEM: Ice cream upsets my daughters stomach now! We've had the tasty treat a half a dozen times, and each time it leaves her with stomach pain. Have I made her lactose intolerant? Has this happened to ANY of you? Now I'm also worried about how she'll do with cows milk, you don't always have almond milk at your disposal? I certainly didn't want this to happen, I don't want her to not be able to eat dairy! Our motto has been " Enjoy everything in moderation with thanksgiving!"

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i don't have a clue, but good luck:flowerforyou:
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me =( I didn't cut out dairy completely, but I was eating/drinking a lot less of it. I decided to treat myself to an ice cream cone with my niece and I got really sick =( Probably just have to rebuild a tolerance for it (I hope)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with ice cream. Her body just isn't used to it anymore. Same goes for me with anything fried now. I've been eating clean for so long that I can't eat fried foods without getting extremely sick. Her not being able to have ice cream, isn't the worst thing in the world :P
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Can she drink milk? It could be the sugar if she is not use to it. I would not worry about not being able to eat Ice Cream. Now if you said she can't eat Vegetables?
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Have her try a Lactaid pill (it's an enzyme). I have a mild case of lactose intolerance and I take it only when I am having ice cream or something with a lot of cheese. Also, I drink Lactaid milk...it taste just like regular milk.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You didn't make her lactose intoloerant. There is a chance she has always been and didn't know until she was off of it for a while. This happened to my mother. She was having issues and the doctor told her to try giving up dairy. She is 50 years old and has never felt better. She didn't know all of these years that she was lactose intolerant. She didn't know how bad she had felt because she always felt that way. Now if she eats any kind of dairy she has an upset stomach.
  • jessazimmerman
    Options
    She was probably always sensitive to dairy but didn't notice the effects. Once you remove it for a few weeks, the symptoms become clear. you didn't create the sensitivity; you uncovered it. Feel grateful she knows about it. She'll feel better without it. It is one of the top inflammatory foods...
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I don't think you can 'make' your daughter lactose intolerant. There maybe something in the ice cream: sugar, lactose, etc. that bothers her system now that she has cleansed. Sometimes when you take out those things you eat the most and then reintroduce you can have trouble digesting them. I would ask her doctor, they may want to run some tests to determine if she truly has an allergy or intolerance.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I didn't cut out dairy, but I switched to low fat or no fat. Now when I eat the full fat stuff my stomach swells up huge and I get really back cramps. It's extremely disappointing because I love cheese and ice cream, but it's not worth the pain. Not sure if there is a remedy or if you can build a tolerance back up to it.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    makes you wonder if we're really meant to digest the stuff at all. Gelato is quite tasty.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Try probiotics (at local pharmacy). It is filled with good bacteria (like yogurt times 10) and helps digestion / elimination. Start with one chewable tab and increase if needed. Starting with too much can cause gas. I have issues with milk fat, not lactose -- I almost never eat ice cream.
  • Catheve
    Catheve Posts: 3
    Options
    Just a suggestion - I take it you don't want to drink soya milk but have you tried oat milk? It is really pleasant and cheaper than almond milk! You can get soya ice cream. Maybe frozen yogurt would not cause such a reaction as many people who are dairy intolerant can tolerate yogurt. You could always invest in an icream maker and make your own alternatives!
  • paintitblack
    Options
    I can't eat fast food anymore. At one point I used to love a good chip buttie but my stomach just can't handle it after I gave it up a little while ago. I should imagine that if you worked it in slowly she'd get used to it again. If not, then not eating dairy isn't so bad! I'm vegan and thrive without eating dairy. Coffee shops normally do soya these days and if you're going to work / a friend's house then you can take your own with you. I have a little pot to carry Soya milk in when I go out so I can always enjoy a drink. There are also dairy free ice creams you can try. If that's not what you want, then I'm sure working dairy back in slowly should work.
  • LizaTice
    LizaTice Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not only is she not use to the milk, but the sugars and such in ice cream that she has not been use to any longer and may be what is making her sick too. My oldest cannot eat vanilla ice cream for some reason. I have noticed some foods upsetting my stomach too, but it is the change in diet. They do make ice cream that is not made with milk. My youngest eats eat because she is allergic to milk. Good luck!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on dairy makes it less important for your body to produce the lactase enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk. The more milk you drink, the more enzyme you produce. It's possible that her body is not producing as much of the enzyme as it used to because of the decreased dairy consumption. But millions and millions of people are lactose intolerant (myself included). You don't need dairy in your life to lead a healthy life. If you find that she is lactose intolerant, and she still wants to consume dairy without any side effects, buy some Lactaid and try that when she eats dairy and see how she feels. Also, most lactose intolerant people can have some dairy without side effects. Doctors say up to 1/2 cup of milk.

If you're worried about her calcium intake, there is always supplements. There's tofu, dark leafy greens, calcium fortified juices and cereals, etc. There's plenty of options.

However, it also could be that beause of your healthier lifestyle and cutting out high fat and high sugar treats like ice cream, when she ate it, her body just didn't react as well as when that was something she ate more regularly.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is a work around to the ice cream i know you want her to be able to eat dairy again but in the time being so she doesn't feel left out they have soy ice cream the brand that comes to mind is Tofutti, and it comes in various presentations
    http://www.tofutti.com/
  • ellepottsie
    ellepottsie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a fair bit of dairy but over the past 4 months I have developed a severe intolerance to anything lactose. I am 23 years old and have never had a problem with lactose before. I have been talking to friends and family and it seems like it is a lot more common that people think to develop this intolerance later in life. I have a hard time with ice cream because it used to be my favourite treat. I had been eating sugar free freezes in place when I first was unable to eat dairy, now I don't really crave it at all. I do think I will try over the counter pills someday to see if this will fix the problem but for now if my body doesn't feel well when I eat something then I think it is a sign that I shouldn't be eating it. It just takes some getting used to.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's the sugar. Once you stop ingesting it regularly, your body doesn't want it anymore - and that's a good thing! I don't understand why you would want to "build up a tolerance" for something that is clearly not good for you.
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't really know - but like you I cut out alot of creams, butter, cheese etc. I find now if I have my favourite pasta carbonara from my local Italian restaurant I'm in trouble - stomach aches & other not so pleasant effects.

I rule it out to being too rich and stomach not used to processing them - but not sure about ice cream !!
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with ice cream. Her body just isn't used to it anymore. Same goes for me with anything fried now. I've been eating clean for so long that I can't eat fried foods without getting extremely sick. Her not being able to have ice cream, isn't the worst thing in the world :P

I have the same problem with fried foods as well. I ate some over the weekend and I was SO beyond ill from it! I'm glad that I am connected enough with my body that I can get the signals from it when it doesn't like something. I don't drink milk because it upsets my stomach and so do some forms of soy and yogurt. It is probably a good thing that she knows about it now. You can also try ice cream made from coconut milk...it's really good! :smile: