water and yoga

Options
i know that drinking 8 glasses of water a day is good for you, but does it really make you lose weight? i feel like if i do drink that much water a day, i want it to be beneficial.
also, yoga. does it make you lose weight or just tone up? i'd like to get to my goal weight before i tone up, because i feel i'll tone up and not lose the fat covering it.
thanks for your help!

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Toning in itself helps you loose weight, slower, but healthier than without it.

Water helps flush your system of thoe nasty things that keep weight on such as sodium...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yoga doesn't burn as many calories as other cardio, however, it helps your balance and strength so that other exercise you do is more effective.

Building muscle revs your metabolism, so any weight training will help you lose weight.

I highly recommend using yoga along with other cardio and weight training so that when you do get to goal, you're there and you don't have to then work even longer to get the look you want.

Forgot about the water: It's essential for proper body function and health (and ability to work out efficiently and with endurance) to be properly hydrated. Especially if you're upping your fiber, drink your water.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Both are awesome weight loss tools. The yoga will burn some calories but it will also help you to build lean muscle, and the more lean muscle we have the more calories we burn when we are at rest... who doesn't love the idea of burning calorie while sleeping, or watching a little TV? :bigsmile: Water helps to keep you from holding water which will help you to keep the weight off. It also helps you feel fuller so you are less likely to indulge. Keep both of them in your routine.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am a yoga convert. I used to have the mindset that if I had an hour to workout, I was going to burn some "real" calories. Since I've added yoga, I am not sore after my other workouts. I don't get sick nearly as often. It was striking last winter when my 3 year old son and husband were horribly sick and I was surrounded by germy people, yet I didn't get sick. I truly think yoga had something to do with it. I am far more flexible, and I'm strong. Those vinyasas take true arm strength. Plus, it really calms me down. As for water, a recent study said it was one of those weight loss tricks that really does work.
  • jendra11339
    Options
    The biggest benefit of drinking water is that it makes you feel fuller which in turn helps you eat less. It also helps you process food better! As to yoga, there are many different kinds and some are better for weight loss than others. I do asana yoga once or twice a week. It has made me much stronger and I find doing other kinds of cardio is easier since it has helped strengthen my knees. It is also great for flexibility and balance. You might want to try doing hot yoga, since you sweat a great deal and it is good for getting your joints warmed up.