Anyone with hypothyroidism

Options
okay so when i had blood work the first time my levels came back for hypo at 7.44 i had more blood work done and its at 3. something but my family dr said that is normal im still very tired and exhausted and not feeling good does anyone know the accurate levels for hypothyroidism?

Replies

• Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry for the late reply. You want your levels to be between -1 to 1. I learned this through reading and talking with my Endo Dr. To be honest I have been getting my blood check every three months for the last 4 years and I just now got to the mg. I need to be on. If you are ever feeling sluggish and slow and you have been eating right and going to the gym and resting right then your thyroids are off! I know for a fact this is true!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My thyroid levels were 3.4 before going on medication, which technically is still "normal". But if you're feeling sluggish and having other issues, your dosage should be higher.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the unfortunate thing is that it's all just a "range" and what one woman doesn't even notice another will feel horrible at. What is really important is making sure your doc understands what you are feeling. Don't let them just say, "you're within range, goodbye" If you feel off, make sure they know. If they don't listen, time to find a new doc. Good luck.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, how long have you been on meds? It can take a few months before you really feel the difference. Took me about 90 days.

Also, find out how comprehensive your thyroid test is. There are 2 different things to look at - T3 and T4. When I was first diagnosed, I did a bunch of research and found that back then (about 10 years ago), most places didn't look at both numbers. That might make a difference.

And, remember, if you don't feel like your doctor is addressing your issues well enough, you can always get a second opinion.

Good luck!
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am going thru the same thing. I was just diagnosed with hypothryoid, and started on medication....and I am Sooooooo exhausted, and just plain old fatigued at this time. Im going back to the dr in a few weeks, to get things adjusted. I agree though, just keep seeing your dr and they will make the adjustments.
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Your levels of T3 and T4 can change over time too. When I was diagnosed last year with Hypo, my Dr said if I wasn't doing anything for weight loss (ie-working out or eating right) I would be over 200lbs. I was only 160lbs. The constant fatigue and 3 hour naps in the middle of the day aren't fun, but your body will adjust to the medication with time. At my most recent blood test, my Dr said my natural levels have gone up, so my meds can be reduced. :)

Just remember that those of us who have Hypo have the best excuse to GO to the gym! Hypo slows your metabolism, and working out speeds it up. Just keep at it. And if you think you could use a bit of a boost, there are a lot of natural supplements that promote thyroid functions. Like Iodine for example.

Hope I've helped, even if only a little. :P
    ~Fox