Nuts - before or after workout?

Options
Hi,

I bought some mixed nuts today to try and help me eat back some of my exercise calories as i have a bootcamp session this evening. Is it best to eat them a couple of hours before my workout or after? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I eat them before and after sometimes. I've even eaten them during a HITT workout while I had a 1 minute break.
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I split half before and half after.
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A really good PRE workout snack is 1 piece of whole wheat bread (check the label), and 1 Tbsp all natural peanut butter (like Smuckers). Maybe even 1/2 a banana in it...eat it about 2 hrs before your workout... The nuts, I'd wait and have them AFTER...they have a lot of good protein in them to help with building muscle after a workout, but make sure you measure them out...1 handful! :-)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Nuts usually have good protein. Eat them all day. :-) But especially right after a workout. My doctor says ingest something with both protein and carbs right before a workout (10 minutes or so before) and then eat or drink something with lots of protein immediately after a workout. That keeps your metabolism going steadily without crashing, and also provides fuel for fat-burning (the chemical reaction that burns fat requires roughly 3 parts fat to 1 part protein).
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would eat them after.... with a glass of chocolate milk (excellent recovery drink with the ideal carb-to-protein ratio).
  • ashanti1982
    Options
    Thank you, I shall weigh out my nuts before then and eat them on the bus on my way home after lol. I might try the peanut butter and bread too as i love peanut butter, I normally just have a banana as unfortuantely in my job I eat lunch late (though I do snack on fruit etc.)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I read somwhere that you shouldnt eat fats directly before or after workout. Carbs before, Carbs/Protein after. Chocolate milk was a good suggestion for an after, instant oats and jam are a good pre-workout fuel.
  • Definitely after because of the protein benefit. However, before doesn't hurt either. I can tell you nuts and pears are my two favorites, when it comes to between mean snacks.