Breakfast Question

Options
kistinbee
kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
I've heard in the past that it is bad to eat the same thing everyday. I LOVE oatmeal and I eat it every morning for breakfast. This fills me up and satisfies me at 6 when I get up until I have a midmorning snack (fruit and a granola bar) around 9. Is this really that bad for me? I always switch the flavors of oatmeal I eat and I always have different types of fruit. How bad is this really? On the weekends I usually have something different, but during the workweek, this works really well for me. I'm just curious how bad to the metabolism this really is. Any ideas?

Thanks,

*Kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    Options
    I've heard in the past that it is bad to eat the same thing everyday. I LOVE oatmeal and I eat it every morning for breakfast. This fills me up and satisfies me at 6 when I get up until I have a midmorning snack (fruit and a granola bar) around 9. Is this really that bad for me? I always switch the flavors of oatmeal I eat and I always have different types of fruit. How bad is this really? On the weekends I usually have something different, but during the workweek, this works really well for me. I'm just curious how bad to the metabolism this really is. Any ideas?

Thanks,

*Kistinbee*
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    This is a great thing to do. Think about this: if you eat the same thing every day (for one or two meals a day), you will not overeat it. If your normal portion is 1 packet or 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/4 c of skim milk and you do that every day, what are the chances that you will eat 2 packets of oatmeal one morning?
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Okay...I wasn't sure. I've just heard that if you eat the same thing everyday, your body gets too used to it and your metabolism actually slows down. This could be wrong though. I just wanted some other opinions.

Thanks!!:bigsmile:

*Kistinbee*
  • akkrone
    Options
    No way! You're eating something healthy- why would you stop just because it's the same everyday. One thing you might try is just getting regular oatmeal instead of the little packets (those have lots of preservatives, salt, and sugar). I make oatmeal almost every morning for my son, and we use skim milk and sweeten it with a tiny bit of maple syrup. Enjoy!
  • akellyking1977
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Especially with oatmeal as it will naturally lower your cholesterol! I say keep it up!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You are eatting a pretty healthy breakfast and mid morning snack but make sure you are mixing your food up the rest of the day and taking a vitamin. Eatting the same things all the time does lead to some vitamin deficiency but this is really only for people that eat the same breakfast lunch and dinner everyday. If it's working for you and you can handle the mush (sorry I can only handle oatmeal like once every 6 months), then keep it up!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think the reason people say not to eat the same things every day is because it can tend to limit the vitamins/minerals/etc. that you get in each day. Switching up foods is a good way to ensure you're taking all sorts of healthy things, but I don't think that eating some of the same things daily would be bad. I tend to eat Weight Control Oatmeal for breakfast on cold mornings, and smoothies on those mornings that aren't so bad. I think you're doing fine. Oatmeal is a great way to start the day! Just don't eat the same three meals and snacks daily!
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thanks all of you! These comments are helpful. I will continue with my daily oatmeal breakfast. I do switch my lunches and dinners everyday and I take a multiviatmin every day. So, I think I'm doing fine. Thanks so much! :bigsmile: I just wanted to be sure!

*Kistinbee*