I ve gained?!

Options
I am doing well - exercising every day and staying under the calorie limit, except I had toast one night and went over by a little, still I run an hour every day almost and I have gained 2 lbs........ :( Is this muscle from running? It's so hard to diet and even more of a let down to get on the scale for 2 days and see it going up. help.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You will not gain muscle from running, not to mention it would be even harder in a caloric deficit. Most likely you are seeing water retention.
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I know its hard especially when you are working out and watching what you eat. It very well could be from muscle you are creating. Muscle weighs more than fat and I know whenever I have first started working out I have alwasy gained first then lost. Try not to go off of what the scale says, but how your clothes fit. You will see the difference in how they fit being as muscle takes up less space than fat does. Keep up the great job!
  • MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    Options
    I always look at my sodium and that is the culprit 99% of the time. Hope you start losing again soon!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    You will not gain muscle from running, not to mention it would be even harder in a caloric deficit. Most likely you are seeing water retention.
    ^this
    Also, are you close to your TOM? It can fluctuate anything between 2-8lbs then, and it comes off after. Also, high carb diet causes water retention as does exercise. dont worry about it, its not fat. You wont put on fat if you are at a calorie deficyt. :flowerforyou:
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    What has your sodium intake been like? I know if I go too much over 2300mg and don't drink enough water, I can forget about seeing a loss on the scale. My body likes to hang on to that water weight.

Also, it might sound counter intuative, but make sure you're eating enough calories. I had my calories set at 1400 and it was too low...had to bump it up to 1800 to start seeing any loss! Check out calorie calculators like this one to see what you should be eating:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its really hard to say this or that is causing weight gain when no one can see your diary..
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am doing well - exercising every day and staying under the calorie limit, except I had toast one night and went over by a little, still I run an hour every day almost and I have gained 2 lbs........ :( Is this muscle from running? It's so hard to diet and even more of a let down to get on the scale for 2 days and see it going up. help.

From the way you've worded this, it sounds like you are weighing yourself every day, is this the case? Please, please don't do that. Once a week maximum, you can't get an accurate idea from day to day bedcause your weight fluctuates so much. Weigh yourself at the same time every week.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I doubt you gained muscle in that short period of time. It's probably water weight either from sodium or that time of month coming.
  • bglitterbug
    bglitterbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you I never considered the sodium intake before......... definitly could be the culprit, I have more salt when I have cooked veggies and no butter! thanks!
  • bglitterbug
    bglitterbug Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I have switched to MRS Dash Seasoning and it really does the trick!!!

PS I love how many replies I got, I've never used this tool before, great motivation and answers!