Could it be true? 5lb for week 1?

I set up my account for losing 1lb a week as it is my goal to slowly change my habits and improve my health in a sustainable way. I've lost literally HUNDREDS of pounds total in my life, but I have long standing weight issues and want to focus on health more than weight.

I weighed in this morning after meeting all of my first week goals, water and all, and was down 5lbs. My weight also fluctuates a good deal, and as I struggle with some chronic health issues, my weight varies due to medication and other factors, so I'm not sure if I should trust it.

My question is, did I really lose 5lb in one week, or is it just normal fluctuation? I want to avoid going on just the scale, and focus more on things I can control better, like if I'm eating the healthy things to plan and drinking my water, and doing the exercise I can do, but when I see big numbers like this, it makes me worry if I'm going to get back into starving the day before a weigh in, and focusing on the wrong things again rather than just trying the slow, sustainable approach.

Is this a pretty normal first week result for people trying to lose 1lb a week at first? I have 35-40lbs total to lose for my ideal weight.

Replies

• MrsPike07
    MrsPike07 Posts: 160
    I did the same thing. From what I gather it is water weight. Kudos to you though, keep up the good work!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Yep. The first week is usually a larger loss. Kudos on starting :D
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    A lot of our weight loss in a our first two weeks is water weight:) Just take it and run! But don't get discouraged if it goes up a little or seems to trickle off for a week or two:)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,324 Member
    Yes a lot of people drop more weight the first week or two
  • This is not uncommon. I actually lost 4 pounds my first week with a goal of 2 pounds a week. I think maybe this is such a drastic change for the body that this happens. I don't know the science behind it , but it happens. Actually, one friend of mine lost 7 or 8 pounds her first week. The loss does even out though as the metabolism gets used to the changes.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Like a few comments already posted, the first couple of weeks is water weight. When I first started, I dropped 9lbs in 9 days.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    I did the same thing. From what I gather it is water weight. Kudos to you though, keep up the good work!

no one ever says "kudos" and we did it simultaneously :)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    7 lbs week 1 and 4.8 week 2.
  • zoeysmom01
    zoeysmom01 Posts: 38 Member
    You and I have similar goals, but I only lost 2 lbs my first week, but only planned to lose 1 lb per week. I know when I make a drastic change in eating, such as cutting down on carbs and processed foods, especially wheat, I will lose a lot of water during the first week. Perhaps that is what is going on with you. Just make sure to eat all the calories they recommend here and you should be okay.

Add me as a friend if you need extra support. I have only been doing this 3 weeks.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    I set up my account for losing 1lb a week as it is my goal to slowly change my habits and improve my health in a sustainable way. I've lost literally HUNDREDS of pounds total in my life, but I have long standing weight issues and want to focus on health more than weight.

I weighed in this morning after meeting all of my first week goals, water and all, and was down 5lbs. My weight also fluctuates a good deal, and as I struggle with some chronic health issues, my weight varies due to medication and other factors, so I'm not sure if I should trust it.

My question is, did I really lose 5lb in one week, or is it just normal fluctuation? I want to avoid going on just the scale, and focus more on things I can control better, like if I'm eating the healthy things to plan and drinking my water, and doing the exercise I can do, but when I see big numbers like this, it makes me worry if I'm going to get back into starving the day before a weigh in, and focusing on the wrong things again rather than just trying the slow, sustainable approach.

Is this a pretty normal first week result for people trying to lose 1lb a week at first? I have 35-40lbs total to lose for my ideal weight.

It's water weight. I have been on programs that actually warn you that the first week you can lose up to 10 lbs in water.
  • When I joined slimming world about year or so ago. My first weight loss was 8 1/2 lbs in one week!!. My first 2 weeks starting my diet again i lost 5lb, but this week being my 3rd week I lose 3lb. Keep working hard at it and it will pay off xx