is 80 degrees outside warm enough to swim in a lake?

Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
My question is this, I am going to a lake cabin next week and it looks like it will be 80-87 degreese all week, will the water be warm for swimming or will it be a little chilly? Southern Maryland is the location of the cabin

Replies

• Where?
  • Grimmerick
    Where?

sorry it's southern maryland
  • yes, it's warm enough
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    The water is warmer this time of year. More north than that, people are swimming in the bay in September.

(80-87 is the usual summer temp where I live, when there isn't a heat wave in the '90's or 100's.)

If you are not used to a cooler climate, it might take a bit of adjusting.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    you said warm and lake in the same sentence so it reminded me of this:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/aug/15/3/health-officials-warn-of-swimming-risks-ar-250711/

enjoy!
  • i would say yea... just came from chesapeake bay n the water was warmmmmmm.... at one point in the evening it rained n it was warmer in the water... i think you should be fine
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    It's warm enough, but depending on the source of the water your going in, It (The Water) might be cold.
  • megamoo04
    megamoo04 Posts: 269
    be careful i dont no if you have seen or read the news, but there is a parasite that is warm water such as lake rivers and streams and it is towards the southern areas so please be careful!!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    You should be just fine...enjoy!! I love swimming.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    I would say absolutely!!! Once you're in and swimming, even if it's a bit chilly, you'll acclimate.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    It depends more on the size of the lake. A large, deep lake might never get very warm . Then again, it also depends on your tolerance for temperature. I won't go swimming if the water is colder that 70. My dad goes in if it is above 60.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Ever heard of the Polar Plunge?

http://www.polarplunge.com/

If 80 weren't warm enough... I'd never be able to go swimming. I live in Wisconsin.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    It depends more on the size of the lake. A large, deep lake might never get very warm . Then again, it also depends on your tolerance for temperature. I won't go swimming if the water is colder that 70. My dad goes in if it is above 60.

Colder temps require a wetsuit or a drysuit, depending on the season. Below 60, you are definitely taking your life in your hands if you don't have any protection.
  • Grimmerick
    Ever heard of the Polar Plunge?

http://www.polarplunge.com/

If 80 weren't warm enough... I'd never be able to go swimming. I live in Wisconsin.

Yes I lived in Va beach for many years and have definitely heard of the polar plunge. I am not looking for a polar or even chilly plunge, I just like my water nice, like a luke warm bath and thats why I asked.