how many calories does zumba burn?

ukdiva
ukdiva Posts: 3
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm going to my first zumba class tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has a rough estimate for how many calories you would burn in a 1 hour class?

Thanks.

Replies

• depends on your speed and weight but my instructor told me you can burn up to 600
  • invest in a HRM ..you won't be sorry!!!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    I typically burn 550+
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    The only way to know for sure is with a HRM. Otherwise, you would have to estimate it (like logging it under dancing) and you may or may not be accurate.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    I'm just about to go to a zumba class, I put down 500 but I don't plan on eating all of it just in case!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    www.zumbacalories.com is a really good estimator!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    It really depends on the intensity and class type. Last week, I took 2 Zumba classes back to back, and I know that one was much more high energy than the other.

The best and most accurate way to know calories burned is to wear a HRM.

I believe Zumba.com has some sort of calculator you can use to estimate calories burned. Maybe you can check that.
  • I just went to my first two classes last week! and I definitely suggest a HRM too! Its so amazing to see how much is burned! In the one hour class I burned 700-750!!!
  • joanieizme
    joanieizme Posts: 38 Member
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=320 Use this calculator to find out based on your weight.
  • eleibs
    eleibs Posts: 1
    I simply put high-imact aerobics -- 45 minutes burns 345 calories.
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    I have been doing Zumba for a while now and I give 100% every class. I burn between 550-650 depending on the instructor.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I do wear a HRM that has the chest strap, and last week I burned 657 calories during a 60 minute class. It was really high energy...and I LOVED IT!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=320 Use this calculator to find out based on your weight.

I just tried this calculator to see how accurate it was and it was pretty close to what my HRM says I burn in an hour of intense zumba! I would use this to get a good estimate. However, I would definitely recommend investing in an HRM!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    So many variables! Weight, intensity, fitness level, the routine ...

I burn around 500 in an hour doing Zumba, but everyone is different.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member

ditto
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member

Thanks! I did this class a couple times and just logged it as dancing which is far less cals. That being said, I found it a very boring class with lame salsa music so I'll stick to my regular cardio routines and my spinning class which I love - always good music there!
  • Jesse13
    Jesse13 Posts: 72
    How accurate are HRM with a strap? My friend and I are taking the same class, but we burn very different calories 550 vs. 950??
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member

I just tried this calculator to see how accurate it was and it was pretty close to what my HRM says I burn in an hour of intense zumba! I would use this to get a good estimate. However, I would definitely recommend investing in an HRM!

Interesting, this calculator is 105 cals LESS than what http://www.zumbacalories.com/ says

Hmmm....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    How accurate are HRM with a strap? My friend and I are taking the same class, but we burn very different calories 550 vs. 950??

The ones with the strap are very accurate, though some brands are better than others. Polar is the most accurate, I'd say. I think Timex way overestimates calories burned.

If you just have the watch, it's very inaccurate.

950 sounds extremely high unless your friend is a lot heavier than you.
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    It really does depend on your weight and the energy you put into it. I have a girl in my class that wears a HRM and many times it says 800-900. When we did Zumba in the Streets last week, it told her 1,200 because we were doing it in 96 degree weather... it was so freaking hot. I thought I was going to pass out! Usually, the most we are told to tell students is 1,000. In a very high intensity class, 1,000 is about the most you will burn... so for an average class, it's safe to figure about 600-700 easily. For me, the dance categories are way off. They only say about 450 for an hour.
This discussion has been closed.