South Beach is too much for me! HELP!

Options
So on 8/14 I started Phase 1 of the SBD....what an overload! I hate diets and I knew this one wouldn't last long...however....I did lose 8lbs last week (in one week!). So maybe lower carb does work for me...any suggestions on how to modify this plan and remain lower carb?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You could just try and eliminate the processed stuff and all the whites...white bread, white rice. Eat whole grains and some fruit...they really are good for you! If you want to cancel out a big spike in insulin, try and always have some lean protein when you have carbs.

:flowerforyou:
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    Hey! I always do really well on low carb. I don't really follow a "Diet" per say. I just limit my carbs. I try and stick with low fat meat, (Tyson Grilled ready strips are a God send), low fat cheese, and green veggies. I keep sugar free snacks in the house just in case I have a craving.

I try and stay away from sugar free candies just because they don't have a lot of net carbs, but the sugar alcohol is out of control.

If I need bread, I substitute low carb tortillas that I love. But most of the time I do really well.

I don't really count anything, I do log my food however, to make sure I'm not going over in the Calories department.

Hope this helps, feel free to add me!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Just remember a lot of that is water too. Which is not unusual when you eliminate carbs. The most important thing is you find a "diet" (and I hate that word), that fits how you like to eat.

What works for me is just eliminating the white stuff, and minimizing the presence of processed foods in my diet.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by modify? The main emphasis of South Beach (at least as far as I know, I haven't done that particular diet before) was to focus on good carbs and fats and minimize their bad counterparts. What is difficult about this for you? Knowing what specifically was difficult about the diet can go a long way toward figuring out how to tailor the diet to your needs/capabilities.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    What aspects of South Beach are bothering you?

For people who are not familiar with South Beach, this is an overview of Phase 1:

http://www.southbeachdietguide.com/phase-one.html
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I figured about 5lbs of it would be water.

I'm a carb junkie and last week was so tough. I kept my carb count really low. While I am okay with cutting out potatoes and rice along with breads and pastas (which is a huge step for me b/c I LOVE carbs all carbs any carbs)....but I'm having a hard time with the letting go of fruit if I can't have cakes and pies (sounds silly...I know). I live off of dessert...I am trying to change from having cake or anything sweet after my lunch and dinners which is what has been done for the year since moving into my new desk job. Maybe I should just quite cold turkey.

I love veggies like cabbage, fresh string beans cooked in ham, okra, fresh corn. I'm okay with Chicken and Turkey. I struggle with breakfast...I hate eggs and I've really tried to change my diet to incorporate eggs. I am more of a cereal, waffle, pancake, sausage eater. So if I can't have those things that I would just rather skip breakfast, which then I over eat at lunch.

I guess I'm just looking for a plan that says "eat this".
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    Have you tried the Yoplat low fat yogurt such as key lime pie? I love them. I of course limit them, but they could help. Sugar Free jell-o is a great treat too. I use Sprite Zero instead of the last water to give it some fiz.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there delivering exactly what you are asking for: Just Tell Me What To Eat by Timothy Harlan.
    I, too, lose weight quickly with low-carb...but I also gain it back just as quickly when I reintroduce those foods. So I'm trying to go at this from a lower-carb overall stance (150 grams or less a day - which is not really low-carb but healthy carb). Trying to cut out the refined/processed stuff and focus more on real foods. Makes a BIG difference. But the weight loss is much, much slower. I'm okay with that (I think?! HAH sometimes I'm frustrated) because overall, it really needs to be a lifestyle change that will last.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Also, be careful with the sugar-free and lite foods. They usually use sugar alcohols in place of the sugar and those little devils don't help at all with insulin and cravings. :o/
  • Gwooh
    Options
    What aspects of South Beach are bothering you?

For people who are not familiar with South Beach, this is an overview of Phase 1:

http://www.southbeachdietguide.com/phase-one.html

This is going to sound horrible..letting go of potatoes last week was super tough...that was a staples for every meal on top of dessert. I had more than 2 carbs for every meal and to just totally cut all carbs out I crashed friday evening at ruby tuesdays even though I ate off the salad bar ....maybe I should just jump on the horse and try again with teh SBD?
  • Gwooh
    Options
    Should I focus more on eating cleaning?
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You can transition yourself into Phase 2, where they add in more choices, etc. Your weight loss will be slightly less, but you might feel more satisfied.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think the best advice I've ever received is to make overall lifestyle changes and don't think of it as a diet. Don't cut out foods you love, just eat them sparingly. You have to change your eating habits for the rest of your life... so don't do anything that you'll not be able to live with forever.