To those with Success, was MFP right?

Options
You know how when you log all your food and exercise for the day, you get " in 5 weeks you would weigh ____ " ? Well, for how many of you with success, was MFP correct for? I LIKE what MFP tells me I will weigh in 5 weeks with how I am eating and exercising, but I am curious as to how on-track MFP is... TIA

Edit: Was MFP over or under in the prediction, and did you eat pretty much the same daily for those 5 weeks (as it says "if you eat like this every day" or something... ?

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Nowhere close.
  • chantihayes
    Options
    yanicka, did you lose more or less than mfp's predictions?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's not very accurate b/c it doesn't take into account how each macronutrient is affecting you (i.e. too many carbs keeping on the weight) and only functions based on calories. If you are under eating most days and not netting 1200 cals you will most likely plateau soon and this can last for weeks, even months and therefore not keep losing as it suggests. Plus just one cheat day or meal will throw off the entire calculation.

That being said, I still like it as motivation since it always says I’ll lose 10 lbs in 5 weeks, waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy to much for someone who is already a healthy weight.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I lose quite a bit less than MFP predicts. i eat around my BMR, exercise 45-60 minutes per day. MFP says i should lose about 1.8-2 lbs per week and i lose 1 lb per week. :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Nope. My body does not understand basic math.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost a lot more than it predicts. I expect that as I near the end of my weight-loss I will lose less than it predicts.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I lost what it said or more. I logged religiously and measured meticulously.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Im going to start keeping a log of what MFP says cuz im curious
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Not at all.

I didn't loose anything for a while because I had lost so much already and I was just toning up. Things still changed and I got smaller. (I keep track with a tape measure) I dropped 2 pant sizes but the number did not change.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I stick to it, I tend to lose more than MFP estimates. If I have a bad weekend or few days, then I lose less. For me, its a good estimation.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention... as long as it says I will weigh less in 5 weeks than I do now, then I'm happy! :tongue:
  • blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lose less then it predicts in a 5 week period for various factors. It's not that MFP is WRONG, it just isn't sophisticated enough to take in all the factors that can affect your weight; PLUS, every person is different. I don't know about all women, but I lose at least one week out of the month to PMS weight gain/retention. My weight simply doesn't move (or goes up a bit) during that week. After it, I'm right back to where I was before but I've never LOST weight that week no matter what I eat or how hard I exercise. Also, I hit platueas about every 20 lbs down. Those can last sometimes a whole month. I won't lose anything - no matter what I eat or how hard I exercise. I used to get frustrated trying to live up to the predictions. I used to get frustrated comparing my weight loss to other people. In the end - I've realized that my body will lose at its own rate. This is a LIFESTYLE change and I'll get to my goals in my own time. It's working -- just slower than I had originally hoped.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Me too. I always gain and lose 3 pounds.
    I lose less then it predicts in a 5 week period for various factors. It's not that MFP is WRONG, it just isn't sophisticated enough to take in all the factors that can affect your weight; PLUS, every person is different. I don't know about all women, but I lose at least one week out of the month to PMS weight gain/retention. My weight simply doesn't move (or goes up a bit) during that week. After it, I'm right back to where I was before but I've never LOST weight that week no matter what I eat or how hard I exercise. Also, I hit platueas about every 20 lbs down. Those can last sometimes a whole month. I won't lose anything - no matter what I eat or how hard I exercise. I used to get frustrated trying to live up to the predictions. I used to get frustrated comparing my weight loss to other people. In the end - I've realized that my body will lose at its own rate. This is a LIFESTYLE change and I'll get to my goals in my own time. It's working -- just slower than I had originally hoped.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    not close at all, I think it's just a trick to get you motivated, I like it and it's a goal to try, lol
  • hippymamax6
    hippymamax6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I could safely lose 1 to 2 pounds a week. MFP has me losing .6 lbs. per week. Not sure how accurate it is but it's keeping me accountable for what I am eating.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    yanicka, did you lose more or less than mfp's predictions?

Way less. I lost 17 pounds in 9 months. Went from a size 10-12 to a size 4.
  • Brent686
    Brent686 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What I did was I created a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel: See Link Below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22527300/Weight Loss Program Template.xls

On the first tab titled "detail" you can input your goal calories to consume each day, the number of calories you burn daily (this would be what MFP tells you or maybe an average across several websites that have calculators for this), the calories required to burn one lb (3500ish) and your beginning weight.

Then in the following chart you can input your actual calories consumed (first column in grey), and your calories burned from fitness (second column in grey) each day.

It will perform the rest of the calculations for you..

On the second tab titled "summary" it will summarize each week for you as they pass. you can log your actual weigh in for that week (first column in grey), and you can also input your personal goal weight for each week.

It will then calculate your actual weight loss each week and compare to your goal weight loss as well as what I call "the mathematical weight loss"; the weight that you should have realized based on your caloric intake, calories burned daily and calories burned from fitness.

The very last column on the this sheet gives you what I call a "Mathematical Variance" or the difference as a percentage, from what you should have lost mathematically and what you actually lost.

So what do you do with this number?

Because this number is directly linked to your "Calories Burned Daily Average" on the first tab "Detail" (this would be the calories you burn not including fitness, but just from normal every day activities that you calculated earlier), you can then adjust this number on the "Detail tab" until your mathematical variance shows as 0% for the week.

Basically what you are doing is adjusting the amount of calories you think you burn on average per day to what you are actually burning, based on your caloric intake and actual weight loss. By changing this number until your "mathematical variance" is 0%, you are essentially truing up the math and your actual daily caloric expenditure.

You may want to "true up" these numbers weekly or every other week as your "calories burned daily average" will change as you get skinnier and it will help keep your calculations accurate on the spreadsheet through out your tracking.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's been too high for a while. I am fairly small (from 125lb to 105lb in seven months at 4'11"), so I know a lot of stuff will be off scale for me.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i always lose more than what mfp predicts.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    the predictions have been spot-on (correct) for me.

i do eat very consistently though.. very little fluctuation either below or above the net calories per day.
    (if you check out my food diary please ignore the last 10 days though *LOL*, i was working at a theatre festival and for first time in 8 months i was consistently over in calories and sodium... but if you go back further than 10 days you will see i really am quite consistent.

ie:
    2 weeks ago i weighed in at 175.. the prediction for that date 5 weeks prior was 174.5
    4 weeks ago i weighed in at 177.5.. the prediction for that date 5 weeks prior was 178.6
    5 weeks ago i weighed in at 179.5.. the prediction for that date 5 weeks prior was 179.3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!