YOGA DVD?

What is a REALLY GOOD yoga DVD for beginners? I want to start alternating yoga with my P90X every other day so I just want to make sure I get a good, legit DVD for learning.

THANKS! =D

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    if you have a smartphone you could try looking for some apps for yoga.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    http://yogatoday.com - even better is its free for the weekly classes!!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Jillian Micheals has a great Yoga DVD as does Bob Harper. Jillians is a like 30 minutes. Bob's is a little longer and maybe more advanced. But they are both great DVD's!
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    I really like Jillian Michaels Yoga Burn. I get the relaxed, stretched feeling post yoga, but with a little extra insensity to it.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Hands down Sara Ivanhoe. For beginners, you can't get better.

With all due respect to JM, she does a great job of using yoga positions and transitions to strengthen the body, but yoga is about so much more, and requires your absolute attention to how your body is responding to what you're asking it to do. Sara Ivanhoe has a lovely voice and a good sense of humor, doesn't take things too seriously, encourages modification, and if you get a good one, you might get a feel for how yoga links breath to movement, which, imho, is the magic.

Have a great time.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    I really liked the AM/PM Yoga DVD with Patricia Walden. I did that first years ago and when I finally did make it to a yoga class they said I was doing it correctly. I really liked the PM portion of it. My husband worked 2nd shift, I'd do it before bed and I can't tell you the number of times that he found me sound asleep on the livingroom floor after my workout because I was so relaxed. I still do it. It is my favorite of all my yoga DVDs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    First - Jillian's yoga DVD - although challenging is not straight up yoga - it's yoga/strength training.

It took me quite ahwile to find yoga videos that I liked so I would suggest looking at some freebies fist to get a feel for the style of yoga you are looking for (lots of styles). Hulu.com and exercisetv.com both stream yoga workouts. Netflix has dozens of DVDs for rent (streaming .... only a few).

Gaiam has a couple: Yoga Practice for Beginners (Patricia Walden) and Yoga Conditioning for Beginners (Suzanne Deason) .... both are VERY descriptive (almost tedious) ... and will help you learn.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I've been using Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown, but it's definitely not for beginners (I have a friend who has been trying this with me and he's really, really struggling since he's never done yoga before). I searched around a lot when I first started, and wound up finding Sadie Nardini's videos on YouTube. She has tons of free videos on there, and I've recommended her stuff to a lot of people. The ones I started with were her "weight loss for overweight yogis" series of 4 videos. Here's her website if you want to take a look: http://www.sadienardini.com/