Delicious and inexpensive snacks?

Options
Hey everyone! I need some good snack ideas. We don't have much food in the house and unfortunately I am unemployed and don't have much money. I need more ideas for snacks. Something that will leave me satisfied until dinner time. On a day like today, I still have 1,005 calories left because i did a major work out this morning. what can i eat to fill in that gap?

Thank you so much everyone!

Replies

• MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    In the spring we were having financial problems and I learned to make everything from scratch. Saves so much money and is much healthier! Granola bars were a favorite to make, they had lots of fiber and nutrients.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Fruit! a 5-pound bag of apples is only a couple of dollars, and they can be quite filling, especially if you add a little nut butter to them to up the calories, which you seem to need!
  • mleb2005
    mleb2005 Posts: 45
    Options
    Popcorn...yum and easy to snack on. Check labels before you buy because some have a lot of calories. Also rice cakes or apple straws are now carried at wal-mart. The taste like cinnamon apples and are low in cals they are by the rice cakes.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like to make homemade trail mix. Mix together some nuts and a little bit of dark chocolate and YUM! Just watch the serving size when you pack it away. You can even add coconut to it : ) And this way you control how much of what is in your mix.

I did granola bars not too long ago. They were REALLY good. I need to make some more of them
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    Watermelon.

I bought one a week ago and I'm still eating 2 cups of it every day around 3pm which holds me over until dinner. Its like $5 for a whole melon since it's watermelon season! so $5 for going on 9 days of snacking seems like a good bargin to me :) I'm actually amazed it's stayed fresh this long, but I have it stored in one of the produce saver tupperware things.

Edited to Add: Obviously Watermelon won't help you with the 1000+ calories you have left, but it's cheap and filing!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Nut Butter
  • pandabuhr79
    Options
    graham crackers, cottage cheese, hardboild egg, broccoli with salad dressing (or without if you can take it - i'm still 5 years old and have trouble getting it down w/out dressing lol)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Watermelon.

I bought one a week ago and I'm still eating 2 cups of it every day around 3pm which holds me over until dinner. Its like $5 for a whole melon since it's watermelon season! so $5 for going on 9 days of snacking seems like a good bargin to me :) I'm actually amazed it's stayed fresh this long, but I have it stored in one of the produce saver tupperware things.

Edited to Add: Obviously Watermelon won't help you with the 1000+ calories you have left, but it's cheap and filing!

You can also freeze watermelon. Its like eating ice cream. my kids love it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Celery or carrot sticks with peanut butter. Dry roasted nuts, though only peanuts are usually inexpensive. Cottage cheese with fruit. Reduced fat cheese. Eggs are a cheap source of protein.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Apples. I cut up the apples and then put them in a baggie and add some cinnamon and then shake the baggie. mmmm...

or I get the Jolly Time 100 calorie bag popcorn and then add some I can't believe it's not butter spray and some splenda and cinnamon
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Nut Butter

Is that a joke? Gross.

lol pretty sure it just means like peanut butter, almond butter etc.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are good. You can also make them different ways (into egg salad, deviled, etc.)

I enjoy cottage cheese with some fruit (just had some in fact!) If you buy store brands, it's not too bad.

Popcorn is a good bet - you can hot air pop it and sprinkle on your favorite seasonings. Yum!

Low-fat cheese and cut up veggies.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Oh, and instant oatmeal packets are great. You can get the store brands pretty cheap! I eat the plain/natural unsweetened kind and mix in my own fresh fruits, etc. But you can get flavored kinds too - just watch the added sugar.
  • thefracturedprune
    Options
    Kristina,

Do you have a farmers market near by? I find they are the most inexpensive and you can get your fruits and veggies to last a week or two. I snack all day: cucumbers w/ low fat ranch dressing, carrots, strawberries cut up w/ a packet of sweet n low, grapes, apples with peanut butter. Sunflower seeds are cheap and filling too.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This might sound funny but I make a mini omelet. Really takes only 5 minutes too.. One whole egg, 2 egg whites, a little feta, whatever veggies you might want (but optional) and I throw it on the pan for 5 minutes. Very filling and high protein :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    How about salsa?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Nut Butter
    Is that a joke? Gross.
    Right. Just like it...
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Nut Butter
    Is that a joke? Gross.
    Right. Just like it...

Yeah, that's what I meant...just make sure not to get any on your pants...it's quite messy....
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Watermelon.

You can also freeze watermelon. Its like eating ice cream. my kids love it.

that is such a great idea...i'll have to try that :)

Fiber One bars and brownies are quite tasty :)
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I don't like cottage cheese, it grosses me out. I've tried it and almost threw up. Not for me. We have a popcorn maker here so we use popcorn kernals from Lancaster, PA and make the popcorn with olive oil. it's really yummy. i'll have to make some more of that and bag it. As far as fruit, right now all we have are a ton of peaches and I already had one for breakfast. I didn't want another one. I'm just very limited to what I have here in the house and I guess I'll have to look around and see what I can find. But thank you everyone, all your ideas were great. Especially the one who said water.