post workout recovery shake?

Options

Replies

• lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Like others, I make my own. 3 oz greek plain yogurt, soy protein, fresh lime juice and a handful of strawberries is delicious!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    a few years ago a lot of the health and fitness magazines were saying chocolate milk! I typically will buy a half gallon of the Skim Plus brand and drink 8 oz of that. OR I make my own shake with Muscle Milk Light...but that's not pre-made, they do sell a pre-made one but they don't taste good at all.

chocolate milk!!! what a great tip! I googled "chocolate milk post recovery" and found that indeed, this appears to be a perfectly fine post-workout recovery drink. And I won't have to mail order it :). Thanks!
    Chocolate milk has way too much sugar and not enough protein.

It's a completely fine post workout recovery drink, perhaps you should read on the subject before dismissing it.
    Perhaps YOU should!

Chocolate milk: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 192
    Protein: 9 grams
    Sugar: 24 grams
    Saturated fat: 4 GRAMS (about 1/3 of your daily allowance)

G3 Post workout recovery: Serving size: 16 oz.
    Calories: 120
    Protein: 16 grams (*almost DOUBLE chocolate milk)
    Sugar: 12 grams (*1/2 that of chocolate milk)
    Saturated fat: 0 (*400% less than chocolate milk)

Lifeway kefir yogurt drink: Serving size: 1 cup
    Calories: 140
    Protein: 11 grams
    Sugar: 20 grams
    Saturated fat: 1.5 grams

Conclusion: Never is it good to eat a bunch of saturated fats after a workout. Nor should you get half the protein and double the sugar and call it a post-recovery workout. I HAVE looked it up, maybe you should.

Absolutely! I have studied about kefir for a couple years, but have only started using it about a month ago. I am going to use it in my post-workout shakes as well. I use kefir and greek yogurt every day in my breakfast smoothie.

Chocolate milk, I read here, is proven to be a beneficial post workout drink. Well, no it is not. Sure, it will have casein and whey in it, but the refined sugars are horrible for you no matter which way you cut it. The sugars will help refill your glycogen stores in your muscle, but it is not really a quality form of carbohydrates. And if you wish to get the protein necessary for post workout, you need to drink an awful lot of the milk. If you do wish for some good carbs post workout, throw some frozen blueberries in with your protein powder. I suggest Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey (comes in chocolate and is cheap by the 10lb bag if you shop around). Their casein is good for night-time protein if you are looking for real muscle mass building.

My post workout protein shakes used to consist of vanilla flavored whey isolate, nonfat milk and 1-2 raw eggs. As I am getting back into the workout routine, I am going to use this, except for I will replace the milk with kefir. Kefir has been making me feel absolutely fantastic over this last month consuming it for breakfast , and often for a late snack in my cereal mixed with hemp or almond milk to thin it some for the cereal.

Stay away from soy. If you wish a non animal protein, go with hemp protein, or rice protein or a mix. I have never yet tried these, but they will suffice. Not as good as animal sourced protein, but sufficient...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Well, if people are going for chocolate milk, then why not do a meal replacement shake like Boost or Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's like drinking chocolate milk, but with extra protein and nutrients.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Recovery shakes are pointless for most people.

You need some protein after your workout, however you DO NOT need this within a 30 minute window or some fast acting carbs to shuttle nutrients into your muscles or whatever the supplement companies tell you.

If you are doing intense bodybuidling/powerlifting stlye training this might give you a 1-2% advantage but For most people this is just more sugar they could do without.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

You need some protein after your workout, however you DO NOT need this within a 30 minute window or some fast acting carbs to shuttle nutrients into your muscles or whatever the supplement companies tell you.

If you are doing intense bodybuidling/powerlifting stlye training this might give you a 1-2% advantage but For most people this is just more sugar they could do without.
    This is quoted for truth.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a good and cheap recovery drink.

There have been several studies conducted that prove this point.
    Example: International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006, Bd. 16 (1), S. 78–91

Further Reading on the topic:
    Nutrient Timing. Basic Health Publications, 2004
    Journal of Sports Science, 2004, Bd. 22, S. 15–30
    Journal of Applied Physiology, 2000, Bd. 88, S. 386–392
    Medicine & Science of Sports & Exercise, 2004, Bd. 36, (12), S. 2073–2081
    Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2006, Bd. 20, (3), S. 643–653
    Journal of Applied Physiology, 1988, Bd. 64, S. 1480–1485
    Diabetes, 2001, Bd. 50, S. 265–269
    Journal of Applied Physiology, 1989, Bd. 66, S. 876–885
    Journal of Sports Science, 1991, Bd. 29–51, S. 51–52
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2000, Bd. 72, S. 96–105
    Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2004, Bd. 23 (4): S. 322–330
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2007, Bd. 86 (2): S. 373–381
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2007, Bd. 85 (4): S. 1031–1040
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2005, Bd. 24 (2), S. 134S–139S
    British Journal of Nutrition, 2007, Bd. 98 (1), S. 173–180
    International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2006, Bd. 16, S. 420–429
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    What make of chocolate milk would be good? Nesquick, stuff like that?
    I live in the UK?
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    if you must have it I would make your own..much cheaper..milk of whatever your preference is and 3 tsps of drinking chcoclate powder....

Am I the only one who is happy with a drink of water and a banana?
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use already mixed chocolate milk from kroger. I use it instead of water for post workout shakes, then I eat 15-20 gummy bears. Also, for people saying its never ok to eat the simple carbs, thats bologna. If you have a sweet tooth, the best time to feed it is right after a good workout, particularly a workout that involves lifting weights.
  • 75in2013
    Options
    you DO NOT need this within a 30 minute window or some fast acting carbs to shuttle nutrients into your muscles

You base your opinion on what exactly?

It has been scientifically proven that a ~60 min time window after a workout is most efficient for refueling your body.

If you are doing intense bodybuidling/powerlifting stlye training this might give you a 1-2% advantage but

Where do you get the "1%-2%" number from? Random.org?
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    you DO NOT need this within a 30 minute window or some fast acting carbs to shuttle nutrients into your muscles

It has been scientifically proven that a ~60 min time window after a workout is most efficient for refueling your body.

[quote

I normally have mine as soon as I finish my workout :laugh:
  • 75in2013
    Options
    I live in the UK?

Low-fat ready made is fine. Don't know the brands in the UK.

EDIT: or make it yourself. 300ml 1,5% milk + 30-40g cacao powder.
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I live in the UK?

Low-fat ready made is fine. Don't know the brands in the UK.

EDIT: or make it yourself. 300ml 1,5% milk + 30-40g cacao powder.

Ok thank you :smile:
  • 75in2013
    Options
    Ok thank you :smile:

Pleasure.

Btw. If it tastes too sweet or it has too many kcal than just add less cacao. Rule of thumb: protein/carbs should be between 1:2 and 1:4. (1:4 is the typical relation in commercial recovery drinks).
  • Fozzi43
    Options
    I've got my sons nesquick in my hand :laugh:

Per three teaspoons with semi skim milk it has

7.7 g protein
    21.7 carbs Of which sugars 21.2
    4.0 g fat
    0.9 fibre
    0.11 sodium
    Salt equivalent 0.28

Is it gonna be too carb heavy?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Requoted for truth.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Requoted for truth.
    Rerequoted for truth with the disclaimer that I often find myself craving simple carbs after an intense workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on chocolate milk (cheap and nutritious - as long as you don't drink the entire litre)
  • jennmallak
    jennmallak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    AdvoCare has great pre/post workout shakes, they are pre-digested so it goes straight to your muscle and it doesnt bloat the stomach.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Common sense.

- Protein synthesis is elevated for at least 24 hrs after a workout, if you consume protein within 30 mins or 65 minutes or 72 - minutes of a workout this is irrelevant
    - most people eat something before they work out, assuming this contained protein and was within a few hours of the workout that protein is still being digested after your workout. It's more likely to be those amino acids which are being used.
    - yes simple sugars spike insulin, but so does protein, especially fast digesting protein such as whey

The post-exercise “anabolic window” is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you’re an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx. 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase post-exercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn’t support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast post-exercise carb orgy for optimal results.

http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts#

If you are doing intense bodybuidling/powerlifting stlye training this might give you a 1-2% advantage but

Where do you get the "1%-2%" number from? Random.org?

The numbers is irrelevant, yes i made them up, purely to illustrate the insignificance.

If you want to spend money on "Mega Recovery 5000" thats up to you but you might as well buy a normal protein powder and put some table sugar in it, because that's what your getting.